Thread: Steel Cut Oatmeal in Crockpot

Default Steel Cut Oatmeal in Crockpot

From the CORE Recipes...this is verrrrry good!

Another Steel-Cut Oats in Crockpot recipe:

From the WW board:

4 servings:

1 cup steel cut oats
    1 coarsely chopped apple
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp allspice
    1 tsp nutmeg
    4 1/2 cups skim milk

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.
    Be your own best friend every day.

cgwoolf Guest

Default Re: Steel Cut Oatmeal in Crockpot

Question; 1 cup oats to 4-1/2 cups milk - seems like it would be real watery

with steel cut oats a serving is 1/4 cup(dry). This simmers all night and is actually very thick...I added alittle water to my bowl to thin it down some.

Davinci syrups would be great with this too...apple Sugar Free syrup with apple oatmeal....yum

Icing

Steel-Cut Oats: Short-Cuts Information Found this on WW's website:

Short cuts to Steel-cuts
    The cut grain of steel-cut oats means they take longer to cook than rolled oats - but the distinctive texture makes it all worthwhile!

Quick Soak Method
    One of the quickest and easiest ways to prepare McCann's Steel Cut Oats is to soak the oats overnight. Before going to bed, boil four cups of water in a pot, add one cup of oatmeal, stir and turn off the heat. Cover the pot and leave overnight. The next morning, bring oats to a brisk boil and cook until they are just tender and serve.

Microwave
    Mix 1/2 cup of steel cut oats with 2 cups of water in an 8 cup bowl (the size of the bowl is important as it must be large enough to allow the oats to bubble up without spilling over). Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and run at full power for 5 minutes. Stir and finish cooking for another 5 minutes (since microwaves vary in size and power, cooking times may need to be adjusted for different models).

Cut Corners
    Place the oats, natural or pre-toasted in a food processor. A few turns of the metal blade will break up the grains and reduce the cooking time by at least 5 minutes.

Be Prepared
    One trick is to prepare five days worth of oatmeal in advance. This can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator and used as required. To reheat, use a microwave - heat on high for 2-3 minutes and then enjoy!

Pre-Toast
    Place the steel-cut oats in a preheated 300 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes. Return the oats to a tightly covered container, storing in a cool place. Toasted oats cook in half the time.

Cook under Pressure!
    When the pressure is on for a quick bowl of oatmeal - Rely on your pressure cooker. In approximately 5 minutes, pre-toasted steel-cuts will be cooked to perfection. All you need is 1 cup of pre-toasted steel-cuts, 3 1/2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Be sure to allow the pressure to release slowly according to the manufacturer's directions.

Re: Steel-Cut Oats: Short-Cuts Information Other people's comments from the core recipe thread.

.If you make the crockpot version while you're at home, Peachplus, you can test it at different stages (say, every hour) and see when you consider it "done". Then you'll know for the future~

And the FF evaporated milk makes it very creamy. You might want to use all water, instead~

Creamy Steel-Cut Oats In The CROCKPOT:

Add 2 cups of washed steel-cut oats and 8 cups of cold water into the crockpot.

Cook on "LOW" for 4 1/2 hours.

Stir well. Turn off and keep lid on for about 15 minutes. The hardened oats on the sides and bottom will "soften" and be able to be stirred-in.

Put into freezable containers, cool, and freeze or refrigerate for a great breakfast! :bcbsalute
    Re: Steel-Cut Oats: Short-Cuts Information OMG, Sodacracker...That first recipe was SO good! And it made LOTS! I got 9 servings, I believe!

So creamy and good~

And it couldn't have been easier~

Re: Steel-Cut Oats: Short-Cuts Information wowzer! this makes a ton of oatmeal! I liberally mixed some in with summer muesli for breakfast tomorrow, and another mini meal for at work, and froze two full 3 cup containers and ate a bowl tonight. Phew!

btw, I stirred in about 3/4 cup of skim milk powder into the whole batch for an extra calcium boost. It thickens it up a bit but does not seem to change the taste at all. Had a few older apples so mwaved them with spices and put some on the oats. Excellent!

Re: Steel-Cut Oats: Short-Cuts Information
    I made the overnight recipe and it was to gooey for my liking. My DH loved it. I wanted some crunch it the oatmeal. Maybe if I do it on the stovetop it will be better for me, or the shorter crockpot version.
    Last edited by icinglady1; 10-05-2005 at 11:08 AM.