Thread: Omelets-in-a-bag

Replies

Default Omelets-in-a-bag

One of my friends forwarded me an e- explaining this method...3 eggs beaten, along with whatever you'd like to add to your omelet; put in a freezer storage bag, and pop into a pot of water at a rolling boil...boil for 13 minutes! Although I did not make them, my DMIL did and she said that she'd forgotten about the "freezer" type, did it with regular old ziploc storage bags and they came out fantastic! This might help if you usually used butter...and I don't see why Eggbeaters couldn't be used!
    Debbie
    HW: 200
    SW: 154 (8/20/05)
    CW: 148.2
    WWGW: 133
    PGW: 125
    5'5"

Default Re: Omelets-in-a-bag

sounds very nice and easy for the working gal....

debbie where are you at in richfield?? i live here too....

just curious

amy

Replies

I make these omlets in the bag.
    They turn out great.
    You can see pictures of them here

http://www.kurlylox.com/blog/archive..._in_a_bag.html

Replies

Kurlylox: yum! that omelet looks better than most of my *regular* ones!

Amyellis: We live on Black, whereabouts are you?! (I hailed you on another forum, but can't remember where (!) and don't know if you responded!) I drive a Revere schoolbus...all I can say is that it's such a small world LOL!
    Debbie
    5'5"

hi debbie---

i LOVE black rd.....it one of my favorite spots in town....i am so sure that we know eachother....i work for the "city" if you want to call it that....richfield police department.....

i am sure that we wave on a daily basis....

we live on ST. Nicholas...

hope to see you soon

amy

Replies

Hey Amy! My route is over in Copley -- but yep, I'm sure I see you, too! (I still can't believe this!) Do you guys ever set up near Hillcrest? Or is that Bath PD? Well, if you ever see Bus #1, that be me LOL! (Unless, of course, I'm 2 miles over the limit, then you can just look the other way LOL!)

I can't wait to tell the girls about this...they'll never believe it...and neither could DH! Be careful out there, Amy!
    Debbie
    5'5"

hey debbie...

ok bus 1, got it...nope that is us at hillcrest, i do not come in till 10 am....so is is normally not me...but if you ever see car 6.......give a little toot...

amy

Replies

Hey Amy! I was entertaining some pals about our *meeting* last night at a band competition, and the one guy knew who I was talking about ! and duh! apparently I read the police blotter in the RT every month and didn't put 2 + 2 together (takes me a while LOL)...but when I just went through the current one, I was bummed that they didn't put it in this month?! Darn it! (And I was watching yesterday, and saw #2 and #5...you'll be so sorry that you told me your # -- no, just kidding, don't think I'm a stalker!)
    Debbie
    5'5"

hey debbie... ###6...but i am off till wednesday...whooo hooo...yeah that is me in the RT...actually my blotter is not in this month b/c i missed the deadline...so next months will be jam packed....

have a great week./...

amy

p.s. ooohhhh a stalker...what a hoot!!!

KittyValentine Guest

I've never heard of this before, but it seems quick and easy, and the pictures look delicious! I'll be trying this sometime very, very soon.

Replies

These look really yummy, but honestly, I don't have the 13 minutes in the morning for cooking these! I guess I'm just a micro girl!! Or even cooking these right on the stove top would take less time. JMHO!
    JeanetteSki

Replies

Jeanette, I think the beauty of these would be (and don't get me wrong, I haven't made them *yet*) that you could pop them in the pot and run and dress, makeup, hair, etc.; me, that's almost exactly the right amount of time it takes to get ready - eek! I would've cringed when I was younger at THAT thought LOL!
    Debbie
    5'5"

Replies

I have to try those!
    -- Linda --

Start date: 4-5-11
    Start weight: 224.6
    Current weight: 224.6

Replies

how many points is one omlette? these look real good.

15. Default Re: Omelets-in-a-bag

My friends turn these omelettes into a party. She mixes a big bowl of egg and milk mixture (imagine making one omelette--that consistency).

She then sets out bowls of various omelette ingredients (black olives, sliced green onions, cooked sausage, chopped tomatoes, etc). Everyone gets a zip-lock baggie; you write your name on your bag with a Sharpee pen. Then you toss in whatever ingredients suit your fancy....same idea as a salad bar, but, with eggs.

Squeeze out the excess air; seal up that baby and toss it in the boiling water.

When it's done, roll out the omelette on a plate; toss on grated cheese if you like. Yummmm!

Lady Clare Guest

Just regular old ziplocs? Wouldn't they melt or something?

There must be something to this idea because someone shared this same idea at my WW meeting tonight. She had eaten them at a ladies luncheon, then she made them at home at a family gathering and they were a hit. She recommended using the thicker freezer bags.

She also said that for 8-10 people, you can use a large stock pot and cook for 13 minutes, but when she makes them for just her and her husband, she reduces the cooking time to 10 minutes. Looks easy and delicious. I am going to have to try it.
    Janice
    Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

Replies

these omelets sound really good, but how many points are in one omelet for just one person?

Each whole egg (white plus yolk) is 2 points. Then you add the points for anything else you put into your baggie.
    Janice
    Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

Replies

I actually made this a couple of weeks ago for dinner. I only did 2 eggs, but I added a little onion, pepper, and cheese. It was really good and the eggs were fluffy as anything!
    Jessica

HW: 230 OSW: 218 (1/03)
    CW: 181.5 (9/8)

Jumping back on the wagon and not letting go!

I am going to have to try this... I am a little leary of cooking something in plastic like that though... but I will give it a shot anyway!
    RiKKi
    hw253/sw200.4/cw 197.8/gw160
    3days 100% OP!

I did see a post on thsi on another board and someone did a bit of research about the chemicals and such in the plastic... and I think we all came to the conclusion that it wouldnt really be a healthy thing to do...

If I can find the link, I'll share the info, but apparently the plastic gives off chemicals or carcinogens in the food when heated to that temperature...

Nevermind :P I went to reread that post, and it had been followed up with a SNOPES article that debunked the carcinogen risk.
    Jennifer
    SW 287 3-27-06 ~ CW 285 5/15/06
    Goals: walk 15 miles per week and keep my food journal consistently and accurately

Quote Originally Posted by 8gr8kids

Nevermind :P I went to reread that post, and it had been followed up with a SNOPES article that debunked the carcinogen risk.
    8gr8kids- Thank you so much for the snopes info. I got that e-mail a while back and have been trying to replace my plastic with glass, now can I stop! And I'll try this recipe, this could cook while I'm in the shower in the morning.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

yeah, I don't use those rubbermaid containers or anything anymore. I bought all pyrex glassware and now I use it.... however, just my personal opinion...looks great and easy though!
    RiKKi
    hw253/sw200.4/cw 197.8/gw160
    3days 100% OP!

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to do this in the microwave? I saw a post somewhere about it, or so I thought.

Maybe she was making them ahead of time, and re-heating?

Maybe I'm nuts!
    - Jacque

"Hang Tough. That means doing your best every day."
    - Major Dick Winters, Band of Brothers

SW: 162
    CW: 149
    GW: 135