Thread: Mastercook 9.0

Default Mastercook 9.0

I saw on ebay today that there is a Mastercook 9.0 for sale. I haven't bought one yet. I can only find 7.0 here in town. Since this is my first, I want to get the lastest version, but am scared of not being able to figure it out by myself.
    Does anyone else have that version?
    DAWN

SW 157/ CW 136.2 / GW 137/ PGW 130

Made Goal 1/7/06
    Made Lifetime 2/18/06

http://www.picturetrail.com/newlifern

Default Re: Mastercook 9.0

No .. i had JUST bought version 8 about a month ago! Full Price ... before the version 8's went on sale!! Figures that I'd do that just before the new version comes out!
    Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Barb A

I just bought it online - and expect to recieve it pretty soon. It's my first venture into mastercook as well - we can figure it out together!

Replies

I found this on the Valusoft Website- from what I can see there is no difference between 8 and 9:
    http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Exclamation Re: Mastercook 9.0

Ottermum,

You are correct..8 and 9 are the same engine. No added features..only bug fixes(not all of them, though) and a few extra cookbooks..and some of those cookbooks contain recipes from around the web that haven't been cleaned up and can be found by Googling them.

I recommed V9 to those with 7 or prior. That WebImport bar is an amazing feature addition.

Quote Originally Posted by ottermum
    I found this on the Valusoft Website- from what I can see there is no difference between 8 and 9:
    http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html

I agree about the web brower feature. I have 8.0 and am sticking with it until they make some real changes. It works great and there is no need to spend money for what I already have.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

quiltingmommy Guest

I love the web import button. It makes things so easy to import.

Replies
    Blog Entries

I had been browsing the board one day and found all the posts about mastercook and how everyone loves it. I talked DH into ordering one (since there is not one to be found in our little town). He got me a v9.

Now my problem. I put ingredients into ingred list. Say, 1/4 c is one serving for 100 cal, but the receipe calls for 1 1/2 cups. Mastercook just takes the 1/4 c as what to calculate on, and so of I can't figure points or whatever, because it is all wrong. Can someone help me on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot.
    Esther
    Esther
    Goal 160
    Current 177.0
    Just do what you know to do!

Replies

Esther, I'm not sure what the problem is that you're having with the ingredient list...
    Let me try and figure this out in steps- I'm slow.

1) You entered an ingredient (let's call it "x")
    2) The given serving size for x is 1/4 cup and the calories are 100
    3) Your recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of x
    4) The nutritional information which MasterCook will give you for x will be based on the 1/4 cup serving size (in this case 100 cal X 6 [there are 6 1/4 cup measures in 1 1/2 cups] = 600 calories.

What you have to remember to do is put the serving size in the serving box. This will break the total nutritional info into serving sizes.

So if your recipe serves 12 people, you'll only get 50 calories worth of x (or 2 tbs worth).

I hope this makes sense and answers your question/problem.
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Replies
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much Jeanette. I went back into the ingredient list and put in the grams as well as the cup measure. Then I fixed the serving box in the receipe. Now it is doing better, but giving me the corn meal as fluid rather than dry measure, which makes the nutrition off. And I made sure I don't have the fluid box checked. I am putting in a receipe I already have just to make sure I get it right before I start putting in things I don't know. Any ideas what I can do?
    Esther
    Esther
    Goal 160
    Current 177.0
    Just do what you know to do!

I don't have an answer for you ... because it does that to me sometimes too! I'll be eagerly waiting for our Resident MAstercook Experts answer on that one!

Barb A

Replies

What does it say in the warnings under the nutritional info when you use the ground cornmeal ingredient? Something like "this ingredient is offset by water"?

I'm trying to find that warning on my MC, but I cannot get it on mine.

The other thing I can think of is are you inputing the measurement for that ingredient in ounces or cups? Ounces can make it frwak out a little as it's not quite sure if you mean fluid oz or weight oz. Just a thought, but if you can let me know what that warning says maybe I can figure it out. If I can't I can pass it on to maybe someone who will know.
    Jeannette

It says something like "the measurement for this is in fluid ounces ... the nutritional information will be off to the degree that this differs from fluid weight."

(That was a pretty loose description of it based on fading and aging brain cells! I'll look tonight, I was going to last night, but Halloween Happened!!)

I know when i entered the info i did NOT check that little box that says "fluid" weight. So i'm not sure what happened. Maybe to put the grams in the first box, and add the ounces in the second?

I truly appreciate your help!

Barb A

What came up in my one Cranberry recipe was this:

Brown Sugar Splenda Blend: MasterCook uses fluid weight to scale this item. Nutritional calculation will be off to the degree that it differs in density from water.
    egg white: MasterCook assumes an average 'whole' size of this ingredient.

What i had for nutritional info for the Brown Sugar Splenda Blend was
    Serving Size: 1/2 teaspoon
    Weight: 2 grams
    Volume: empty
    10 calories ... etc

The fluid box was NOT checked.
    I checked the nutritional data for regular brown sugar that came iwth the program and it had
    Serving Size: empty
    Weight: 220 grams
    Volume: 1 cup
    827.20 Calories ... etc

Is that the problem .. i'm filling in serving size and shouldn't?

Barb A

Replies

Hmmm.. well, let's see.

Barb, do me a favor, in the volume box of the splenda brown sugar substitue, put in 2.5 milliliters (the volume of 1/2 tsp). Try it again.

I tried it on my MC using your information, got the same warning and this cleared it up. You can also put into 1/2 tsp serving size into the Volume area, it doesn't matter.

mseeebee, try the same thing with your cornmeal measure- in the volume section input your serving size in cups/milliliters. This should clear up your problem, I hope. Or we just shoot the program.
    Jeannette

Yahoo!!

You're a genius! Thank you that worked! I'll have to try that with the other couple ingredients that I entered that caused me problems ... Now i'll just have to find a link to come up with the equivalent metric info!

Thank you so much! It did alter the info from 2.2 points for those cranberry bars to 2.1 point. Not a huge difference ... but with some ingredients it could be!

Again, thank you Jeanette!!

Barb A

Replies

You're welcome!!! I'm glad it worked!!
    Jeannette

Replies

You're welcome!!! I'm glad it worked!!

BTW, you don't have to have the metric, you can use cups and tsp/tbs. I just use metric up here in Canada because a lot of the stuff is serving sized that way.
    Jeannette