Thread: WW's SUMMER SLOW-COOKER RECIPES

Replies

Thumbs up WW's SUMMER SLOW-COOKER RECIPES

Some of these are Core and some are Core-adaptable...they all look GOOD! :bcbsalute

Your slow cooker doesn't deserve to be shut in the attic for the warmer months. Break it out early this year for delicious, easy late-summer meals.

Summer Squash Soup
    Combine 3 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced; 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced; 2 medium leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (white part only); 1 teaspoon rubbed (dry) sage; 1 teaspoon dried thyme; salt; and ground pepper to taste in a slow cooker. Stir in 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth. Cover and cook on high until tender, 4-6 hours. Puree in batches in a food processor or a large blender. Serve hot or cold. Makes 8 servings, 1 cup each.
    POINTS® value per serving: 1

Summery Ratatouille
    Combine 6 large tomatoes, chopped; 4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced; 2 large onions, thinly sliced; 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped; 2 garlic cloves, minced; 1 large eggplant, chopped; 2 teaspoons dried basil; 2 teaspoons dried oregano; salt; and ground pepper to taste in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until tender, 4-5 hours. Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each.

Fresh Fruit Compote
    Combine 3 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped; 2 medium pears, peeled, cored, and chopped; 2 medium nectarines, peeled, pitted, and chopped; and 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped in a slow cooker. Stir in 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour in 1 cup apple juice. Cover and cook on high until the fruit is soft, about 4 hours. Makes 8 servings, ¾ cup each.
    POINTS® value per serving: 2

Vegetable Soup
    Core and shred 1 small head of green cabbage and place it in the slow cooker. Add 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced; 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped; 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped; and 1 medium onion, chopped. Stir in one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, salt, and ground pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low until the cabbage is tender, about 8 hours. Makes 6 servings, 1 1/2 cups each.

Fresh Tomato Rice Soup
    Chop 32 Roma tomatoes or 15 beefsteak tomatoes (about 4 pounds) and place them in a slow cooker. Stir in 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth and 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice. Add 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced, and 1 medium onion, finely chopped. Stir in 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, salt, and ground pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low until the rice is tender, about 8 hours. Makes 6 servings, 1 1/2 cups each.
    POINTS® value per serving: 2

Pineapple BBQ Flank Steak
    Peel and shred 2 medium sweet potatoes and place them in the slow cooker. Lay a 1-pound flank steak, well trimmed, on top. In a large bowl, combine 1 small onion, finely chopped; one 8-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice; 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth; 1 teaspoon ground dry ginger; 1/4 cup reduced-sodium jarred barbecue sauce; 1 tablespoon honey; 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard; salt; and ground pepper to taste. Pour this mixture over the steak. Cover and cook on high until the steak is tender enough to shred, using two large forks, about 6-7 hours. Makes 4 servings, about 1 cup each.
    POINTS® value per serving: 7

Baked Beans
    Drain and rinse two 15-ounce cans pinto beans and place them in the slow cooker. Stir in one 14-ounce can diced tomatoes; 1 medium onion, finely chopped; 1/2 cup water; 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar; 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses; 1 tablespoon dry mustard; 2 teaspoons liquid smoke; 1 teaspoon celery seed; 1 teaspoon salt; and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Cover and cook on low until the flavors have melded, about 8 hours. Makes 6 servings, 3/4 cup each.
    POINTS® value per serving: 3

Spiced Apple Iced Tea
    Thinly slice two Granny Smith apples and place them on the bottom of your slow cooker along with 2 cinnamon sticks and 4 whole cloves. Add 6 Red Zinger or other herbal tea bags and 3 quarts water. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Strain and discard the solids. Chill tea and serve over ice. Makes 6 servings, 2 cups each.
    POINTS® value per serving: 0

Artichokes
    Trim the stems off 4 large globe artichokes. Slice one inch off the top of each artichoke, then trim 1/2 inch off the top of each outer leaf. Halve each artichoke through the stem, then scoop out and discard the fuzzy centers. Place the halves in a slow cooker; add enough hot water to cover the artichokes and 1 lemon, thinly sliced. Cover the cooker and cook on high until tender, about 5 hours. Serve hot or cold. Makes 8 servings, ½ artichoke each.
    POINTS® value per serving: 0

Corn on the Cob
    Place 8 ears husked corn in a slow-cooker, cover with warm water, and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to low and allow the slow cooker to keep the corn warm until you're ready to eat. Makes 8 servings; one piece of corn per serving.
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

2. Default Re: WW's SUMMER SLOW-COOKER RECIPES

Thanks Carol, I've printed some up and will try them soon. I love cooking in the crock-pot! You can find the crock-pot going in my house all weekend, as I prepare many meals then for during the week! Thanks again!
    MT
    Last edited by MoodyTripper; 10-28-2007 at 05:26 PM.
    MT

Replies

Default Re: WW's SUMMER SLOW-COOKER RECIPES

Thanks, Carol! These all look very good, and I've just printed them out. I would be lost without my Crockpot. It's the most important appliance I have! (Year-round!)
    ~ * ~ * ~Judy ~ * ~ *
    (last updated - 03/25/07
    CW: 185
    Goal: 140

Replies

Smile Re: WW's SUMMER SLOW-COOKER RECIPES

Funny...I rarely think of it in Summer...

But NOW I will! :bcbsalute

littlemissruckus Guest

Thumbs up Re: WW's SUMMER SLOW-COOKER RECIPES

The spiced apple iced tea sounds really good! I think i'll save this one for fall to make my apartment smell yummy.

Replies

To the top!

Replies

Summer's here! This is for Soda, since it's her b'day. And she has lots of crockpots.

Default Re: WW's SUMMER SLOW-COOKER RECIPES

Hi-
    I am new here. Can anyone recommend a good crockpot for a family of 5. It is so busy during the week that I'd like to start using this for my family so they can get a home-cooked meal.

thanks-

Lisa

SW: 173.4 (6/15/09)
    CW: 164.8
    1st 5%: 164.73
    GW: 130

6/15-173.4
    6/22-172.6
    6/29-171.8
    7/6- 170.8
    7/13-169.0
    7/20-167.2