Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does this recipe have points?

Default Why does this recipe have points?

This recipe was on weightwatchers.com this morning. I can't figure out why this would have points. I eat japanese eggplant all the time and never count points. Any guesses?

Japanese Grilled Eggplant

POINTS® Value | 2
    Servings | 4
    Preparation Time | 15 min
    Cooking Time | 9 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

side dishes | Japanese eggplants are long and thin and have an attractive purple hue. They have a mild, sweet flesh and a buttery texture that melts in your mouth.
    Ingredients

4 medium eggplant(s), Japanese (about 1 lb), sliced crosswise on the diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
    1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
    2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
    1 tsp ginger root, freshly grated
    1/4 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 cup scallion(s), thinly sliced on the diagonal

Instructions

Preheat outdoor grill, stove-top grill pan or broiler. Coat eggplant with cooking spray. (Note: If you can’t find any Japanese eggplants, buy regular eggplants that are small in size.)

Grill or broil eggplant turning as needed until lightly charred and tender, about 7 to 9 minutes.

Whisk soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, ginger and garlic in a small bowl until blended. Drizzle over grilled eggplant and sprinkle with scallions. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Default Re: Why does this recipe have points?

Well I think it is ZERO pts. I do not see any reason for pts. It muxt be a mistake, maybe someone else can spot the pts it supposedly has, have a great day

Replies

I don't see any points in there. Could (possibly but I don't see how) be because of the amount of eggplant in each serving? Naw...that just doesn't make sense. It sure sounds good, though.
    5'2" SW-144.0 CW-136 GW-129.0

That points value has GOT to be a mistake...every single ingredient in that recipe is zero points.

0+0+0+0+0= 0!!!!!!!

Kacy

Replies

I didn't know about the eggplant, but I looked it up. There aren't any Points there that I can find.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

I wonder if this would work with Zucchini ?
    Babyphat
    gotta get rid of the babyphat
    sw 181.5
    cw 162
    gw 140
    tl 19.5

I sent an email to WW. I'll let you know if/when they respond.
    Joanne

RRRRRRRRRRRR! Here's the response I got. I wonder if they actually read my question.

Dear Joanne:

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. I'm sorry, but we don't provide POINTSâ information for individual food items. However, finding the number of POINTSâ in a food is a simple process. Weight Watchers® eTools and Weight Watchers® Online subscribers can use our Food POINTSâ Calculator and searchable food database to determine the POINTSâ values of specific foods. Weight Watchers® meeting members can use their POINTSfinderâ to calculate the amount of POINTSâ on any product with a nutritional label and our Complete Food and Dining Out Companion booklets which list over 20,000 food items and 10,000 menu items at over 100 popular chain restaurants.

If you would like to submit a food or restaurant item not currently found in our database, you may send e-mail to foodrequests@weightwatchers.com. We periodically update our food database, and make every effort to include all verified requests.

Sincerely,
    Rocky
    Customer Service Associate
    Weight Watchers International, Inc.
    1-800-651-6000 9-5 CST.
    Joanne

Replies

Doesn't look like it, does it. Looks like they have a set of canned responses and you got one. I understand that they usually wouldn't help you figure Points for a recipe, but this is their recipe!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!

I responded saying I wasn't asking for points values but addressing a possible mistake on the website. We'll see what response that brings....
    Joanne

Joanne, how maddening! I'm sure that is just a canned response, but I think that is very irresponsible of them. They should provide accurate information.

I ran it through Weight Watcher's Recipe Builder and this is how it comes out (they do not have "Japanese" eggplant in their database) -

Japanese Grilled Eggplant

POINTS® value | 0
    Servings | 4

side dishes |

Ingredients

1 pound eggplant(s)
    1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
    2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
    1 tsp ginger root
    1/4 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 cup scallion(s)

Instructions

Preheat outdoor grill, stove-top grill pan or broiler. Coat eggplant with cooking spray. (Note: If you can’t find any Japanese eggplants, buy regular eggplants that are small in size.)

Grill or broil eggplant turning as needed until lightly charred and tender, about 7 to 9 minutes.

Whisk soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, ginger and garlic in a small bowl until blended. Drizzle over grilled eggplant and sprinkle with scallions. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
    Tiffany - My Pictures

Conceive * Believe * Achieve
    Don't give up... don't ever give up

HW234/SW220/CW199.8/GW135
    ONEderland - 6/6/05
    1st 10% - 6/13
    2nd 10% - 11/7
    50 lb loss! - 1/30/06
    Re-Start - 9/18/07

~ ~ *~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

Thanks! That's interesting that the recipe builder puts it at zero. I'm sure it has to be a mistake. I'm having some eggplant for lunch tomorrow and I'm counting it as zero points. I just would like them to respond.
    Joanne

I was suprised to get a response to my second email today on Sunday. Still no real answer, but much better than the first one.

Dear Joanne,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate department for review. We will contact you as soon as we have an answer.

We thank you for your patience while we address this issue on your behalf.

Sincerely,
    Raymond
    www.weightwatchers.com
    Joanne

I got this reply today. I can't say I'm very happy with it either. I mean, it's a vegetable! HELLOOOO?!?
    I'm going to reply that it was run through the recipe builder and came out to 0 points. I calculated the nutritionals and came up with 128/1/10 for the whole recipe and 32/.25/2.5 for 1 serving which is 0 points.
    Rrrrrrr, it irritates me when people won't take the time to research an issue and just use a canned response.

Dear plcm111195,

POINTS® values for each recipe are calculated based on the nutritional analysis for all the ingredients included in the recipe, and not by adding up the individual POINTS values for each ingredient listed. This method allows us to most accurately determine the POINTS per serving based on the total fat, fiber, and calories contained in each recipe.

Therefore, although a recipe might contain all zero-POINT foods, the total of all the ingredients might add up so that it has POINTS. Free foods are free only up until a certain caloric value.

Sincerely,
    Mickey
    Joanne

Replies

I got the same response from "Jacque" at WW.

By Joanne's calculations there are 2 Points in the whole recipe. Except that 0 Point veggies have 0 Points, period, end of sentence. I guess it's possible that eggplant is one of those relatively higher-sugar veggies that have Points in sufficient amounts (like pumpkin, beets, peas, winter squash). I don't like eggplant so I don't know that much about it. I am considering making this up with zucchini though .. that sounds good.

This really bugs me, partly because WW either can't or won't see it or won't admit it, but also partly because this is going to be cited all over the Internet as an example of how 0 Point foods don't really have 0 Points.

And it's going to start a lot of arguments.

Looks to me like a prime example of why everyone should always double-check the Points on a recipe, regardless of its source, because even WW can get it wrong.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    My pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by nancyny
    Looks to me like a prime example of why everyone should always double-check the Points on a recipe, regardless of its source, because even WW can get it wrong.
    Good point Nancy. I just replied asking them to recheck it and gave them the nutritionals I calculated plus told them a friend had run it through recipe builder and came back with 0 points. I asked them to escalate the request.
    Joanne

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Why does this recipe have points?

Joanne~ You have been doing the "WW's RUN-AROUND" DANCE!

You get THREE Activity Points for that!

LOL.

(I think they're getting so goofed-up with Flex recipes with points, and CORE recipes with no points, that they're forgetting that Flex recipes can have NO points, too!... Maybe that's it? )
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Quote Originally Posted by WWCarol
    Joanne~ You have been doing the "WW's RUN-AROUND" DANCE!

You get THREE Activity Points for that!
    :lol: Too funny Carol. I don't know why this irritates me so much. I guess it's cause I've done customer service before and I hate it when it's done poorly.
    Joanne

This is a bit better:

Dear Joanne,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate department for review. We will contact you as soon as we have an answer.

We thank you for your patience while we address this issue on your behalf.

Sincerely,
    Mickey
    www.weightwatchers.com

--Original Message--
    Date: 8/15/2005 9:30:30 AM
    To: Techsupport@weightwatchers.com
    Subject: Re: Help: Tools & features [#15237379]

Mickey, I would ask you to have someone research this
    further. I do believe there is an error. I calculated
    the nutritional information for this recipe and came
    out with 128 calories/1g fat/10g fiber for the entire
    recipe which is only 2 points for the entire recipe
    even with the fiber capped. And I had a friend who is
    an online member run it through your recipe builder
    and it came back to her as 0 points. I think this will
    cause a lot of confusion with members and I would ask
    you to escalate this request.
    Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Joanne
    Joanne

Joanne,
    I'm so glad that you are persisting with this! Sounds like maybe you are getting somewhere finally.

Here is the response I received to my first e-mail (I followed it up with another e-mail this morning) -

Dear Tiffany,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you experienced difficulties making one of our recipes. All recipes are developed by our staff and then verified for POINTS® values.

When we develop our recipes, we check all of the following:

* That we are using exactly the ingredients specified in the recipe

* That the ingredient measurements are correct

* That we follow the instructions precisely

* That the oven has come to full temperature before using and has been tested with an oven thermometer for accuracy

If you have also followed all of these steps and still have unsuccessful results, please let us know and if necessary, we will re-test the recipe.

Sincerely,
    Ivory
    www.weightwatchers.com
    Tiffany - My Pictures

ONEderland - 6/6/05
    1st 10% - 6/13
    2nd 10% - 11/7
    50 lb loss! - 1/30/06
    Re-Start - 9/18/07

Oh for crying out loud! Did they even read your email? That's what I want to know? Why do you have to bludgeon them to get them to do their job?!?
    Joanne

HI Joanne, I follow ww to a tee too, I ran this using the recipe builder just as they(ww) have it! ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO You know they Do make mistakes its up to us that follow the program to find them. I journal online now at first i used the paper journals that you get at the weekly meetings and 0 point foods add up online where as if you dont have that information to follow you dont know. Ginah
    Weight watchers is a tool its up to me how I use it!

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/DGJP8991/

Replies

You need to test the oven temperature to figure out whether a zero-point vegetable cooked with zero-point spices really, truly has zero points?? I'm getting frustrated just reading these responses...

24. Default Re: Why does this recipe have points?

Here's the response I got - LOOKS FAMILIAR!!

Dear Flaky,
    POINTS® values for each recipe are calculated based on the nutritional analysis for all the ingredients included in the recipe, and not by adding up the individual POINTS values for each ingredient listed. This method allows us to most accurately determine the POINTS per serving based on the total fat, fiber, and calories contained in each recipe.

Therefore, although a recipe might contain all zero-POINT foods, the total of all the ingredients might add up so that it has POINTS. Free foods are free only up until a certain caloric value.

Sincerely,
    Mickey
    www.weightwatchers.com
    flakypastry 5' 2"
    SW 129 :: CW 123.4:: GW 119 :: PG 109 :: lowest 113.8

Lifetime since August 2005. Currently OVER goal..but getting really close!!

Quote Originally Posted by plcm111195
    Oh for crying out loud! Did they even read your email? That's what I want to know? Why do you have to bludgeon them to get them to do their job?!?
    That's exactly what I was wondering. Oy! :rolleyes:

I tried to (somewhat tactfully) point that out in my follow-up e-mail.
    Tiffany - My Pictures

ONEderland - 6/6/05
    1st 10% - 6/13
    2nd 10% - 11/7
    50 lb loss! - 1/30/06
    Re-Start - 9/18/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast