Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

Default Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

Hello all,

This received rave reviews on the WW Online boards ~ I am thinking about trying it tomorrow night!

Cherry Surprise Cake

Serving Size : 20

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 cups miniature marshmallows
    1 package yellow cake mix -- (18 1/4-oz)
    1 can light cherry pie filling -- (21 oz)
    10 ounces diet sprite
    2 egg whites

Heat oven to 350. Coat a 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray. Spread marshmallows evenly over bottom. Prepare cake using diet sprite and the egg whites . Pour batter over marshmallows. Spoon cherries evenly over batter. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Here's what happens as it bakes: The cherries sink to the bottom and the marshmallows rise to the top and form a thin topping that will brown and be bubbly. To check for doneness: Insert toothpick in center of cake; when toothpick comes out clean, the cake's done

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 138 Calories; 3g Fat (19.5% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 179mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Enjoy!
    Christine
    208.2/169.5/144
    SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

2. Default Re: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

Thanks Christine. This one sounds interesting. I have printed it up, but would be interested in knowing how it turned out for you! Thanks again!
    MT
    Last edited by MoodyTripper; 12-28-2006 at 05:31 PM.
    MT

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

I tried this over the weekend. FABULOUS. Only problem is getting it out of the pan. I think the best thing to do is serve it right out of the pan. But the taste is fabulous.
    Shannon
    ---

Original SW: 181.4
    End weight (June 06): 155

Restart: 9/13/06
    Restart Weight: 179
    CW
    - 171.6 (-7.4)
    GW - 155 (by christmas 06)
    GW - 145 (final goal)

Replies

Default Re: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

This was AMAZING!! I made this last night for my family and they absolutely loved it! The marshmellows didn't quite bubble up to the top like the recipe said, but they did melt throughout the cake and added a fantastic flavor and texture. I will DEFINITLY make this for the next dinner I am invited to! There's no way that anyone would know it was WW! And, not only does it taste good, but it looks beautiful once it bakes!

I had one piece when it first came out of the oven, it was great cause it was nice and warm, but then I also had one piece later in the night after it cooled (gotta love those flex points ) and I think I liked it better once it cooled. And it was much much much easier to cut once it cooled. Thanks for the recipe!
    Keira

Replies

OH...

MY....

GOSH...

Does this ever sound good! I'm making it today, and will coat the pan with parchment paper (sprayed with Pam cooking spray) so it won't stick as much to the pan (*hoping*)....I hate to see how that pan would be to clean up! UGH.

Will let you know how it works out...

THanks for posting this one!!!

-Krystyne
    Krystyne

SW =177.8 / CW = 168.0 / WWGW = 150 / PGW = 145
    Re-Start Date: Dec. 11/06 --- Loss to Date: 9.2 pounds!!

Replies

Actually, I didn't have any trouble at all with the cake sticking to the pan, the marshmellows really do melt up through the cake so it doesn't leave a mess at the bottom. (Although I did spray the pan with Pam before putting everything in.) And the cherries that do end up at the bottom can be easily scraped up with a knife or whatever your using to cut the cake.

But let us know how it turns out with the parchment paper on the bottom. Enjoy....I certainly did!!
    Keira

sodacracker Guest

Read this to my kids and both want it for their birthday cake . Works for me!

Replies

OK here is the update...

Had a piece of the cake for dessert tonight...and...

WOW

It is VERY VERY good....almost sinful.

The serving size is just enough to satisfy.... I recommend you try this!

Oh yah, also, it was EASY PEASY to make....Took no time at all.

-Krystyne
    Krystyne

Replies

Ooooh had another piece of this glorious cake tonight...Only 3 points worth tho... hehe. *wink*

THis cake could be easily turned into, blueberry surprise cake using lemon cake mix with blueberry pie filling...

OH

MY!

Krystyne

Replies

YUMMY!! using blueberries and a lemon cake sounds awesome! I'll have to give that a try next. I'll let you all know how it turns out!
    Keira

sodacracker Guest

I made this today for a picnic lunch tomorrow with these variations:

Instead of diet pop I used a can of club soda. There was enough sugar floating around in this recipe wtht the 'mallows and cake mix and pie filling that I figured additional aspartame was not needed.

Results - sweet and tasty according got the kids. I will have no problem serving this to guests.

Variation# 2 - as above but instead of pie filling, use fresh blueberries.

12. Default Re: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

I finally made this! Delicious! It did stick a little, but was worth the effort!
    MT
    Last edited by MoodyTripper; 12-28-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    MT

Replies

ok...You can also subsitute rhubarb and a packet of sugar free dried raspberry jello sprinkled on top of it instead of the pie filling, it is SOo amazingly delicous1

MrsD
    I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174
    current weight 161
    recommittment loss 3 pounds

CANT WAIT TO TRY THIS! MY OP DH WILL BE IN HEAVEN.

THANKS
    WHEREWHO/LISA
    *** I BELIEVE I CAN FLY! ***

baybrat Guest

I made this last night for a weekly potluck I go to...YUM...MY! It was really good...I keep wondering how it would be with Chocolate cake mix... with the marshmallow and the cherries....sounds so good!

Replies

OHHH...OK...everyone hold onto their pants here....I tried this cake but instead of the yellow cake mix (I never knew there was a flavour called yellow..hehe) and cherry pie mix...I tried substituting lemon cake mix and blueberry pie filling instead!

WOWEEE!!! WOOO....definately worth the experiment.

Blueberries are SO GOOD too!

Thought I'd let everyone know that this substitution is a KEEPER!!!
    Krystyne

17. Default Re: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

I've been looking high and low for the lite blueberry pie filling! Where did you find it? I really wanted to try the blueberry/lemon combo. I also want to try the cherry/chocolate combo.
    MT
    Last edited by MoodyTripper; 12-28-2006 at 05:35 PM.
    MT

Replies

Hi MT,

Found the lite blueberry pie filling at a Dominion (in Canada).. It actually isn't marked as "light" but I compared the nutritional stats on the can and it is the same as the light cherry pie filling....go figure.

It is a good one! Wooooweee! Fiance will be happy when he gets home from work tonight, he devoured the cherry one....hehe.

Krystyne

Replies

Tried this over the weekend, and.....WOW!!! It is so good and mine didn't stick at all. I used my glass baking pan. I want to try it with the chocolate cake mix too.

Thanks so much for the recipe.

Tina

katienoell Guest

I've made this before using fresh strawberries and white cake mix. It is delish! I totally forgot about it until I saw the recipe posted here. It had a strawberry shortcake kinda thing going for it. I made it a few times for parties at my MIL's and it went over really well.

I think I'll make this next weekend for my mom's Labor Day picnic. Now I just have to decide between the cherry pie filling or fresh strawberries!

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Replies

I made this yesterday for a birthday....what a great success. I plan to make it again Thursday for another birthday (to give away!!). I've found lite blueberry filling before, but it's very expensive (like 10.00 US) for a 25 oz. can. There's an organic company in Maine which makes it. I can't believe there isn't cheaper blueberry filler around though. I wondered about making my own with splenda and blueberries.

Definitely a "keeper" recipe and one that everyone will like. I too can't wait to try other combination, i.e. chocolate, and cherries!! Will have to be another special occasion though as this could be a point killer.

I made this and wow was it good. I substituted the new cherry 7up plus with splenda for the diet sprite. I am still not sure about using aspartame for baking from reports I have read.
    Karen
    Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why can!

KellyGreen Guest

Thumbs up Re: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

I made this last night....Y U M M Y !!
    Here's how I made it....
    I used chocolate cake mix and Diet cherry vanilla Dr. pepper.....super good!
    REALLY
    REALLY
    GOOD.

24. Question Re: Cherry Surprise Cake ~ Points

I was going to make the recipe but i was going to use a 16 oz bag of frozen blueberries with the lemon cake mix. Does anyone know if the frozen blueberries will work?

Salsa_1960 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sodacracker
    I made this today for a picnic lunch tomorrow with these variations:

Instead of diet pop I used a can of club soda. There was enough sugar floating around in this recipe wtht the 'mallows and cake mix and pie filling that I figured additional aspartame was not needed.

Results - sweet and tasty according got the kids. I will have no problem serving this to guests.

Variation# 2 - as above but instead of pie filling, use fresh blueberries.
    Most of the Diet 7-Ups have SPLENDA anymore. I would choose it over Sprite. Also, some of the store brands use SPLENDA now too. Ours does and I buy the store brand of diet soda all the time. We're a SPLENDA household.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast