Thread: MC 8 on my laptop had a melt down, and so did I

Replies

Angry MC 8 on my laptop had a melt down, and so did I

Hi!

Yesterday was a very trying day, to say the least. The kids are all sick and MC on my laptop refused to work, giving me a runtime error and shutting down everytime I opened it in one particular cookbook (it automatically opened it each time). I tried uninstalling the program, but it wouldn't uninstall completely. A trip into regedit to delete the keys at least got the CD rom to recognize that MC8 wasn't on my system, bringing up the "Install MC" option on the menu. HOWEVER, MC decided it didn't WANT in reinstall on my paltry laptop and the install wizard kept failing. I removed the cookbook that opened each time MC opened.

The whole time I just want to throw myself bodily into traffic, ya know?

At one point I renamed the mc8 program file mc8a, renamed it back, and forgot about it. I hobled together a form of MC8 using the program files from the disc, but no Web import.

On the 15th attempt, it decided to install, but thought that MC8a should still be there for file association, making me create a phantom MC8a folder. ARRGH!!!!
    Anyway, it's running now, but I don't want to touch it. I'm just staring at the laptop like it's got cooties.

The moral of this post, and there is one, is if MC gives you a weird error message, remove that cookbook from the MC folder and try opening the program again. Something I should have done BEFORE I embarked on the uninstall nightmare.

oh, and BACK UP YOUR FILES!!! Luckily I have several copies of that cookbook that I didn't do anything to, so it's pristine.
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Default Re: MC 8 on my laptop had a melt down, and so did I

You know Jeanette, sometimes I just have to remind myself that I am NOT smarter than the computer. I learn this lesson all the time from my hubby. He is the guy that when you say the TV blew up and I can't get it to even come on!.......he quietly asks, "Is it plugged in dear?"

So when you say in 20/20 hindsight that you SHOULD have removed the cookbook first, I have to reply that there are many times I SHOULD have done exactly that but like you, I didn't! Maybe some day we will both learn to do the simplest thing first! I am right there with ya babe!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Replies

I know you are, Barbara! After your computer troubles recently, as well.

Funny, I still can't bring myself to boot the laptop up to use the MC. To make me feel better, my husband offered to take it to work and have it wiped and reset with Windows ME (I bought it used from his company and they installed the OS), but I don't want to make him have to do that. It would make me feel better, but I don't want him to have to ask his IT guy to do this just so I feel more comfortable using it.

I've just been making things I know how to point.

I guess I should "get back on the horse", so to speak.

Thank you for your sympathy! <hug>
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

You're welcome. Anytime...........
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.