Thread: Vegetables and points

Default Vegetables and points

Until today, I was always under the impression that most vegetables had zero points and I could eat as much of them as I wanted and not count them. To fill up at meals I try to have big portions of veggies and smaller portions of meat and carbs. I began to wonder about the zero points thing today however, as I know the online calculator counts veggie points when used in recipes.

It turns out if you have 2 cups of things like green beans, spaghetti squash, broccoli, 3 bell peppers, raw tomatoes or raw carrots you're at 1 point. Cooked carrots and tomatoes are 1 point per cup. Even mushrooms and summer squash have .5 points for 2 cups. WW says the online calculator is the accurate measure, so nowI have to measure vegetables now as well. I guess nothing is really free in life.
    If you want to lose the weight you’ll find a way - if not, you’ll find an excuse.

SW: 265 (1/10/05)
    CW: 175
    WW Goal weight:179 (1/19/06)
    Lifetime: 3/2/06
    PG: 165

Zina in Zushi Guest

Default Re: Vegetables and points

No free...really...but they sure are cheap!?

I eat so many vegetable it's crazy...my food bill is up about 30 bucks a week! I never do count them...guess I need to start!

Replies
    Blog Entries

78 pounds down and I've never ever counted a free vegetable no matter the serving size. I am of the mind that I did not get fat off of lettuce, tomatoes and zucchini.
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

Replies

The veggies on the Zero Points list are zero Points. You may have as much as you like. That's the rules.

People have been known to "fool" the recipe calculators by mis-spelling ingredient names for things that are zero Points such as green beans, etc.

There are higher sugar veggies (such as winter squash) that start counting for Points if you have enough of them. Tomatoes, however, are on the Zero Points list, so they are Zero Points for as much as you care to eat.

Do pay attention to your "satisfaction" levels, even on Flex. If you are full, stop eating. You may find you gradually eat less even of these free items. Meanwhile, they are there to help fill you up.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Paris Madeleine
    78 pounds down and I've never ever counted a free vegetable no matter the serving size. I am of the mind that I did not get fat off of lettuce, tomatoes and zucchini.
    Woman does not get fat on veggies alone. It's the cheese sauce that'll get ya!

Nanacy - where is the zero point list? And does that mean zero points no matter how many cups? Thanks
    If you want to lose the weight you’ll find a way - if not, you’ll find an excuse.

SW: 265 (1/10/05)
    CW: 175
    WW Goal weight:179 (1/19/06)
    Lifetime: 3/2/06
    PG: 165

I give myself a daily point for my veg I do eat alot.

bigsmile1982 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nancyny
    People have been known to "fool" the recipe calculators by mis-spelling ingredient names for things that are zero Points such as green beans, etc.
    I just got my "At Home Deluxe Kit" and it has the calculator. I read the instructions and it didnt say anything about spelling words or putting words into it. Is the calculator you are refering to different than the Points Value Calculator that came with the kit?
    If the calculator is different than what is it, and where can I get one. I need everything I can get my hands on... I want to start out doing this right with all the supplies.

I'm down 67 pounds and never have allocated any points to all the 0 point veggies I eat.

Newliferva Guest

You have to look at the serving size. I used to eat a whole package of frozen spinach and think it was zero. I found that according to the serving size on the package there are three servings so if you calculate the points it is one. It is the WW math, nothing is free afterall.
    Katie:bcbsalute

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Vegetables and points

I lost 55 pounds and have been at or below goal for four years now and have never ever counted the zero point veggies, no matter how much of them I ate.
    So enjoy!
    Lifetimer since April 2001
    195/135/150WW

Replies

Smile Re: Vegetables and points

This topic always came up every couple of months at meetings when new members joined. Our leader always responded "None of us are here because we ate too much broccoli". If it's listed as 0 points you don't have to count it, that's whether you have 1 or 3 cups. I've lost 72 lbs and I've never counted a 0 point veggie.

Pam
    Lost 75lbs on WW so far!!
    CW - 199
    WW Goal - 158
    Personal Goal -- 150

Replies

Ditto, I lost 20lbs my first time around, and 21 and still going this time around, without ever counting a veggie point.
    Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185
    GW - 145
    CW - 158

14. Default Re: Vegetables and points

Ditto. Never counted them. I count potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, but stuff like spinach, green beans, lettuce, celery, peppers, even carrots.

Fruit, on the other hand, you have to count. For awhile I got greed and stoppee counting fruit. I didn;t gain, but I just didn't loose. On maintenance I didn't count fruit.

Am I going to get kicked out of BCB for admitting this?

Replies

Zero is zero!
    5'2" SW-144.0 CW-136 GW-129.0

Elizabethlea Guest

Thank goodness I found this thread. Yesterday I ate a bunch of roasted 0 point veg and was worried about the points. Thanks you guys! (even though I didn't ask)

I will no longer get paranoid about carrots! lol

Replies

I've never counted 0 point veggies either....and I eat a lot of them. It's never hurt my weight loss one bit.....in fact, the weeks I eat tons of veggies, I have the best losses. I've actually heard that WW has a built in cushion of 250 calories to address the issue of 0 point items.

Ann
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018