Thread: brown vs white

no ka oi Guest

Default brown vs white

Is there really a big difference between white and brown rice? Need to go to Costco to buy rice and need convincing if brown is better. Thanks so much.

Minelli0205 Guest

Default Re: brown vs white

Technically brown rice is better because it is healthier but brown rice and white rice have the same amount of points on WW. I would go with the white rice only cause it tastes better.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Brown rice is much better for you! It's a whole grain with fiber intact that will keep you full longer. Go brown, choose brown!
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

I did not know brown vs white rice where the same points. Brown was nasty I guess I will stick to white

sodacracker Guest

love the brown rice. chewier and it is real rice with nutrition intaact - not processed empty carbs. jmho

Cool Re: brown vs white

always go with brown!! it's so good for your body! i always cook mine in vegetable broth instead of water and it makes the biggest difference. very tasty!! give it a whirl!!
    If not now, when?
    www.ginacraig.com
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

Replies

Thanks for reminding me of that, Gina. To me there's nothing worse than bland rice.
    ~Kristi~

hookbill Guest

I'm not sure that all brown rice is whole grain (it may be) but I know that whole grain taste better then plain old white.

I get mine from Trader Joes in the freezer section they have Organic Whole Grain Rice that comes in two serving pouches. 3 minutes to microwave. Wonderful!

WOW it does. I made it with the FF Swanson chicken with roasted garlic broth WOW.. Thanx

I've always been a white rice girl too, especially b/c the points are so close, if not the same, and when I tried cooking brown rice, it was a sticky, nasty disaster. I order it at restaurants though (the Wrap esp. -- they'll substitute it in any of their dishes), and I almost can't tell the difference.

Anyway, if anyone's like me, and can't seem to cook it right at all, Uncle Ben's started packaging pre-cooked pouches of brown rice that you just microwave for 90 seconds -- you don't have to add water or anything, and I like that, too. It's definitely worth trying if you're not sure about brown, b/c I thought I hated brown before I had it cooked correctly.
    Karen
    Mom to 2 girls (Jun. '03 & May '07)
    LT Member -- Lost 55 lb. in 2001

HW (12/2000)....182.2
    PP (5/2007).......172
    Recommit..........164
    Current.............160.5 (-3.5)
    Goal.................137

Just found them tonight thankx.

no ka oi Guest

Went with the brown rice and it cooks fine in my rice cooker. Don't care for the taste as well but ya know what - that's life. I like whole milk in my starbucks coffee but choose non fat. We all have to make choices and choose what we save our points for

Thanks for the help and the suggestions!

Replies
    Blog Entries

Klondy --- if it's any consolation at all, I used to *hate* brown rice. But now that I made it with broth and spices, I really like it. I think our taste buds change as we keep trying new things. :bcbsalute
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

I agree with Paris with the broth it is good.

I do 1/2 and 1/2. It gives the stickiness and the flavor of both. Best of both worlds.

YIPEE

no ka oi Guest

Thanks Paris, I'll get veggie both next trip to the store. I'm also going to try the meatloaf you like.

Replies

I didn't know they made "healthy" prepared brown rice. I will be trying that. I, too, had never found a recipie that made the brown rice taste good. Thanks buds.
    Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217
    CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12