Thread: Healthy oils?????

dixiechick382 Guest

Question Healthy oils?????

i understand that we have to have healthy oils in our daily intake, i know that it is because our brains run on carbs and FATS. i know that if we dont have it, our bodies will hold onto the existing fat that we have because our bodies will think that it is not going to get anymore. but can someone please tell me how they get these oils in and what they actually are. what types of oils do you all use and do you find it effective. also, how do you incorporate it into your food. and lastly, how many points are they worth???

thanks so much,
    -christina

Default Re: Healthy oils?????

The five oils are: olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, and flax.

A teaspoon hides quite nicely in yogurt. Another teaspoon goes well in any soup or beans or drizzled on steamed veggies.

Each teaspoon is 1 point.

On Flex you count the two teaspoons.

On Core, the first 2 teaspoons are not counted against your WPA.

irish*rose Guest

I am taking a suplement of flax seed oil and omega-6 and omega 3, there is 75 cal. in it, does that count for my oil consuption?

Replies

I take the supplements but it doesn't count.. I add my oil to my salad dressing, to my popcorn..over my pasta..veggies..
    Donna

I see no reason why the flax oil capsules wouldn't count providing you can determine you're ingesting 2 teaspoons of it. WW doesn't care how we get it down, you can lick it off the spoon if you have the stomach for it {bleah} Would it be any different if we took the oil and stuffed it in our own capsules? That's my 2.

Is the supplement you're taking flax oil only or mixed with fish and borage? If it's flax, I'd count it. If it's mixed, I wouldn't.

adorableabby Guest

Question Re: Healthy oils?????

would flax seed be considered oil? I grind 1 tb and put it in my yogurt.
    Brenda

Only the oil is one of the 5. Flax seeds or flax meal don't count towards the 2 teaspoons daily. If you decide to tweak it replacing oil with seeds or meal, that's a personal choice.

8. Default Re: Healthy oils?????

I have Olive Oil on vegetables or on salad like they do in Italy. That with a bit of lemon or vinegar makes a great dressing!

Ryesmom Guest

Frisky,

What brand of oil to you buy? The canola oil and olive oil I have found are 2 points for a teaspoon.

I have 3 different brands, all 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil:

Carapelli ... serving size 1 tablespoon: 120 calories, 14 g fat, 0 fiber = 3.5666 points (4.0)

1 teaspoon would be 40 calories, 4.7 g fat, 0 fiber = 1.19 points (1.0)

Star ... exactly the same as the Carapelli

Great Value (Wal-Mart store brand) ... exactly the same as Carapelli and Star

And yes, I physically brought all 3 bottles to the computer to give this info.

Ryesmom Guest

Thanks for the quick response! Am I calculating incorrectly? Those numbers sound familair to what I use, but I was dividing the tablespoon by two. I thought two teaspoons equal a tablespoon.

Ryesmom Guest

I was able to answer my own question. I found this table and maybe it will be helpful for others. Maybe my measuring spoons are off. I took the teaspoon and filled up a table spoon with only two. I am going to double check tonight. I have been losing two points, by miscalculating.

Equivalent Measures
    3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon
    4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup
    5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon = 1/3 cup
    8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup
    12 tablespoons = 3/4 cup
    16 tablespoons = 1 cup (8 ounces)
    2 cups = 1 pint (16 ounces)
    4 cups (2 pints) = 1 quart (32 ounces)
    8 cups (4 pints) = 1/2 gallon (64 ounces)
    4 quarts = 1 gallon (128 ounces)

Methinks what you're using for a "teaspoon" isn't. Are you using actual measuring spoons or a regular spoon you eat your dinner with? Needs to be a real teaspoon sold as a measuring spoon. As you posted, takes 3 teaspoons to make 1 tablespoon and WW wants us to have 2 teaspoons daily.

I figure my oil points by the teaspoon because I generally have one teaspoon at some time during the day in yogurt then later have a teaspoon in beans or soup.

ariellasdaddy Guest

According to Dr. Andrew Weil, sunflower oil is good; canola is not.

Did Dr. Weil say why canola wasn't so wonderful?

Replies

Talking Re: Healthy oils?????

This might sound strange, but I drizzle olive oil on popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by ariellasdaddy
    According to Dr. Andrew Weil, sunflower oil is good; canola is not.
    I'm a regular reader of Dr. Andrew Weil's website. I just did a search on his website for "canola oil" and "sunflower oil", and I found these:

Regarding "Good" Fats, Dr. Weil says:
    "How Can I Recognize "Good" Fats?
    Sources of "good fat" include almonds, cashews and omega-3 fats, found in fatty cold-water fish, fortified eggs, soy foods, flax, hemp seeds and walnuts. Extra-virgin olive oil, expeller-pressed canola oil, as well as flaxseed, walnut and hempseed oil are all good choices."

Also regarding "Bad" Fats, Dr. Weil says:
    "What are "Bad" Fats?
    Sources of "bad fat" include animal fat and processed vegetable oils (trans-fats). These are often found in processed foods. Avoid: coconut oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, anything hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated, lard, margarine, palm or palm kernel oil, safflower, sunflower or soybean oil, vegetable oil and vegetable shortening."
    Get set with the right mind set.