Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addicted to Starbucks

Replies

Default Addicted to Starbucks

I am addicted to Starbucks Caffe Mocha. Admitting it is the first step!

Now, for the second step. What can I substitute that will offer fewer points but the same "comfort" as a mocha? I usually order a grande w/ FF milk and light whipped cream for a whopping 8 points. I don't like using 8 points for breakfast. And, when I do use 8 points for breakfast, I don't eat anything else along with it (such as fruit) because I don't want to add any additional points to my morning meal. By the end of the day, I have used all my points but not eaten the essentials of the program. This has got to stop!!

I have read a lot on the boards about FF/SF Vanilla Latte. I think I am going to try one today. I'm not crazy about the flavor of vanilla so I am not so sure the vanilla latte is the substitute I am looking for.

Any suggestions???
    Tanya

Default Re: Addicted to Starbucks

They also have a sugar free hazelnut syrup. I usually get the vanilla and hazelnut latte but I am sure they would do just hazelnut for you.
    Kelley

HW/SW/CW/WWG/PGW
    184/169/151.0/155/149

WWG 11/02/05

We have a coffee shop next door to the shop I work at, it is not a Starbucks but it is along the same type of coffee shop, I love lattes and they make one for me that I call the skinny latte, he he,,, they have even named it that and other people now ask for it, anyway my friend at work and I are also hooked on it, it is made with skim milk and we have sf syrup (they only have a few flavors in sugar free, vanilla is one though and it is really good, and it is only 3 points. It is not as good as a mocha but it is good as a substitute and less points give that a try, Arena

josefinatk Guest

I love starbucks as well. I just try to stick to tall versions of the latte (caramel macchiatos, mochas, etc) with NF milk and no whip. Those are usually around 3 pts and if i add a shot of espresso it keeps it to 3 pts as well. great way to get milk without adding more SF stuff for the day. the starbucks website has all the nutrition information and sometimes i play with the choices depending on what i'm in the mood for.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_info.asp

Replies
    Blog Entries

I'd suggest checking out sugar-free Da Vinci syrups and making your own at home. Imagine the points and the money you could save... for a new wardrobe!
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

Replies

Where would I find SF Da Vinci syrups?

Now, my second admission for the day...I don't even know how to make coffee! We have a plain coffee maker that only gets used when my family comes to visit. They always make the coffee. I tried making coffee in it one time. It was pretty gross.

How would I go about making my own? Espresso and coffee are not the same thing, are they? Can I make espresso at home? Do I need a "special" machine? How do I "froth" the milk? Making my own and saving the almost $20 a week would be AWESOME!! I just need some guidance.

I am so clueless it is embarrassing!!
    Tanya

I can't tell you how to make coffee or espresso - I just use an automatic coffee pot so it's a no brainer, but you can buy DaVinci's here: http://www.davincigourmet.com/729.html?flashdetect=YES or if you have a Marshall's near you you can find them there. Also, if you have a Cost Plus World Market nearby they carry a brand of syrups called Torani that are equal to DaVinci's.
    Last edited by Duchess Talks Too Much; 03-11-2005 at 03:01 PM. Reason: cuz I obviously can't spell ;)
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Replies
    Blog Entries

Ditto what Lisa said about Da Vinci's. I am not sure what is actually in a cafe mocha, but I am thinking get some good coffee, even Starbucks maybe, and make a souble-strong brew in a regular coffee pot (that's 2 tbsp ground coffee for every cup) and then mix with heated milk, cocoa powder, Splenda and Da Vinci of choice. Top with a dab of Reddi-Whip. You might have to play with it but this can easily be made on the cheap for about 3 points for a 12-oz cup.
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

jlschulz2 Guest

I love Starbucks- anything coffee- you name it. Since joining WW I tried a new drink- called a Cafe au Lait (ordered with skim milk). It only has 2 pts for a grande and you could add a flavor shot of chocolate- or even put some cocoa powder on top- and it would be only like 3 pts. It's very good and you'd save huge on pts. I sometimes add some artificial sweetner to make it a little sweeter and then there's your good sweet drink. Good luck.

Replies

I love coffee drinks and don't like to give them up! I also worked at a coffee shop for a long time, and have a few tricks.

CUT OUT THE WHIPPED CREAM! It doesn't add that much. Ask for extra foam at the top.

SKIM MILK! Obviously.

People have mentioned SF syrup, and I usually get a skinny, sf vanilla latte. However, you can order a plain latte (just milk and espresso) and mix in your very own packet of SF hot chocolate. Instant 3 pt mocha! Some coffee shops will do it for you--I give them the packet and tell them I have special dietary needs. If they won't, just do it yourself.

Also, a cappachino uses less milk than a latte, since its all foamy and airy. Just FYI.

As for making real espresso at home, you need a machine that normally comes with a frother. There are also wands you can buy that just froth the milk, which you can add to strong coffee. But I dont know where to get those...

HTH!
    Kaitlin
    Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185
    GW - 145
    CW - 158

Replies

Jessica - This is totally off topic but I had to tell you I LOVE - LOVE - LOVE your pic of Tim McGraw. Took my breath away when I scrolled down and saw it! Is he not the most BEAUTIFUL man???

To all that have responded...Thank you so much for your tips and advice. I am going to dust off the coffee pot this weekend and see what kind of concoction I can come up with.

Wish me luck!!
    Tanya

hi

i am also a big starbucks fan! it is definately something i have stayed away from since starting ww. i have come up with a drink that is very low in calories and works for me. i use instant coffee[i hate the stuff plain and would never ever use it except in this drink]. i get the styrofoam cups with the lids to make it more authentic. i add 1 3/4 teaspoons instant coffee. i add 2 teaspons nestle coffeemate creamy chocolate powder. [4 tsp = 60 calories 2.5g fat]. then i add 1 teaspoon non dairy powdered creamer. [1 tsp=10 calories and 0.5 g fat]. i then add 1 pkg sweet'n low. add the hot water and use my little battery operated wand frother.[husband found it on the internet for me]. sometimes i add just a small squirt of canned lite whipped cream [2 tbsp= 15 calories 1 g fat] . by my calculations it is 1 point....it is coffee...it is chocolate...it is creamy...it works. all this talk about it.....i have to go make one for my afternoon break. if you want it more chocolatey you could add the other 2 tsps of chocolate creamer, but that would make it 2 points. i have my little "mocha latte" 3 times a day....and still have no trouble staying op. i hope this helps.........

dardee

jlschulz2 Guest

Tanya-

Not Starbucks related- Tim related. I am an absolute Tim Fanatic. I am 23 years old, and have been in love with him since I was in 7th Grade. I have seen him in concert 5 or 6 times- I can't keep track anymore. If you haven't seen him in concert- I would definitely recommend it. He is absolutely breathtaking.

Good luck with your Starbucks - and remember this is not a diet-it's a "live it", so don't cut out the things you love, just modify them to be healthier.

14. Default Re: Addicted to Starbucks

Tanya,

I am a huge starbucks fan. Cafe Moccha is my favorite treat. I get it with skim milk and no whip topping. I add one extra shot. When I calculated it out it was 4 points. And I am more than willing to give up 4 points for it. I only do it once a week. I work nights and every mon morning after I have done my three shifts that is my "pat on the back".

I also make my own at home and I love making them. We bought a machine someone was selling at a yard sale (5$) and I looked up how to make them online and got tons of pointers. It took a little while to learn how to use the machine and to froth but it is actually fun. I experiment and the great thing about making your own is you can have it anytime you want!! After my morning of drinking all of my experiments I was a mad cleaning woman. buzzzzzz. If you do decide to make your own make sure the machine comes with directions because it really did take me a couple times to get the hang of it.

Newliferva Guest

Tanya,
    I am so there! I too used to be addicted to Cafe Mocha's Boy, 8 points, needless to say I don't have those anymore. Don't want to spend the points. Now I have a cafe latte, fat free milk. I think a venti is 4. I tell ya, after WW I look at the foods and drinks I used to eat and I say to myself no wonder I was fat! 274 at my highest! I would go to BP and get coffee and put those flavored creamers in...8 creamers 2points each. Thats 18 points just for coffee!! Now I just have 1 Amarito and 1 chocolate.

Replies

I am a coffee-aholic. Thank goodness I prefer it black. Although, I do enjoy a latte every now and then. I only wanted to post to add a few tips for making coffee at home for Crazy4Dsny.

Making good coffee at home:
    1. Folgers stinks. Get something good. I personally prefer Gloria Jeans coffee. You can have it ground there at the store. Gevalia is also very good if you want to have it delivered. Starbucks is ok, but I don't care for dark roast coffee as much. I store my coffee already ground in the freezer. I only keep enough on the counter in Tupperware that I will need for the week.
    2. Deep clean your coffee maker every few months by running straight vinegar through it. Then run several pots of plain water to clean out the vinegar taste.
    3. Put COLD water in the bin and let the coffee maker do the work.
    4. Measure your coffee according to your tastes. I personally use one HEAPING teaspoon for every 2 cups of coffee I am brewing and one extra "for the pot". That is the way my mom measures it, so that is the way I do it. (Sometimes for a special treat, I put a little ground cinnamon in the basket)

Hints for coffee dummies (I am one of these dummies that learned things the hard way)
    1. Dampen your fingers before putting the coffee filter into the basket. This way you can moisten the filter before placing into the basket and get it to stick to the sides of the basket better. I have had problems with the filter "folding down" into the basket and grounds going everywhere ruining a good pot of coffee.
    2. If you do get grounds under the filter before brewing, STOP. Remove the filter and rinse the basket before proceeding. Grounds in your coffee taste terrible. (ok, maybe some people prefer coffee grounds in their coffee, but this Houston girl does not.)
    3. If you still end up with coffee grounds in the coffee after following these instructions, you might still be able to save the coffee (helpful if you used the last of the coffee and are about do die from caffiene withdrawal). Remove the basket and clean thoroughly. Place a clean filter inside. Get a spare carafe (or just do this one cup at a time if you have no spare carafe). Hold the basket over your cup/carafe and CAREFULLY pour a small amount of the ruined coffee into the basket a little at a time. Make sure the lever is being pressed against the cup/carafe so that the coffee will drip through as the filter gets rid of the grounds. STOP do not put your fingers directly into the stream of the coffee, it's HOT and can BURN you (or at least it burned me). Some things I just HAVE to learn the hard way...
    Emma
    5'1"
    SW 154.0
    CW 154.0
    GW 125

marathonmaniac Guest

i just carry a bottle of da vinci's in my trunk

COFFEE ooooooooooooooo I love it. I now drink decaf french vanilla and I had 1 Tsp of dvench to it. no points I dont think.

Visit this website if you have not seen it before. It is one of my favorite resources for restaurants and convenience places. The points are also already calculated for you!

http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp
    PinkGlttr
    a new mama, back and ready for bootcamp business!
    HW: 205ish... pregnant
    SW: 190.4
    CW: 182
    MiniGoal: 185.4 MET!
    MiniGoal: 180.4

o Yum Thanks

I just found out the other night that the Java Chip frappuccino is only 3 points (tall, no whip cream)

YUMMY YUMMY!
    PinkGlttr
    a new mama, back and ready for bootcamp business!
    HW: 205ish... pregnant
    SW: 190.4
    CW: 182
    MiniGoal: 185.4 MET!
    MiniGoal: 180.4

Replies

I just have to second the notion that Starbucks is an indulgence for me - I go every other week on payday - so I don't want to replicate the drinks at home. Although I still love coffee I have cut way back this year because I discovered that I have ADD and stimulants of any kind are not helpful.

I make a brew of green, white, and black tea each morning (each type has a different antioxidant and green assists in weight loss) and sip it plain all day. Most of the teabags are decaf and I dilute it with a lot of water.

I have mixed instant dark roast coffee, s/f hot chocolate, powdered milk, and hot water to make a decent-tasting mocha at work. Definitely not Starbucks but a pick-me-up at 4 p.m.!
    There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.

23. Default Re: Addicted to Starbucks

I have to say I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I too think I am addicted to Starbucks! I always get the Americano (espresso, water and ice). I add Splenda and used to have it with half and half. I have started making it at home using fat free milk-not as good but it will do. I'm still experimenting to see if I can do something to make it as good as half and half....so far...not! But, thanks for all the new ideas you all have given me!

Well money is getting tight hubbys other job closed shope out 2100 a month I might have no chocice but to mke these at hom to get my fix Thanx for the tips.

Replies

Just thought I would post my progress since I am the originator of the post...

I bought a Mr. Coffee Espresso/Cappucino maker. It was less than $30. I am still in the process of perfecting my concoction. The first couple attempts were pretty sad. I have used the machine about 7 times. I have gotten progressively better. My last attempt was barely drinkable but the attempt before that was delicious!! My biggest problem is getting the milk hot with the little steamer/frother attachment. I haven't quite got the hang of getting the milk steamed. Sometimes the milk comes out barely warmed and most times it is just as cold as it was when I got it out of the frig. I'll get the thing figured out eventually.

My "recipe" consists of two shots of espresso, 1 cup of steamed milk (or cold, or lukewarm, whichever I end up with after fighting with the steamer), and either chocolate syrup or powdered hot chocolate mix - whichever I have on hand. I skip the whipped cream and put the extra froth from the milk on top instead.

Yummmm...Can't wait to have one in the morning (hopefully with steamed milk)!!

Thanks so much to everyone for the helpful information. It gave me the encouragement I needed to attempt my own "Starbucks".
    Tanya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast