Thread: Mastercook 8.0

tickerchick Guest

Default Mastercook 8.0

Hi!
    I caved today and gave myself an early treat. I planned to buy it when I got my 15 lb star, but couldn't wait!!!
    So, now I'm the proud owner of Mastercook 8.0 and I have no idea how to use it!
    I can't wait to give it a whirl!
    Ticker

Default Re: Mastercook 8.0

What is a mastercook 8.0? I do not know and inquiring minds want to know ha ha, Arena:angel

Ticker! Welcome to the MasterCook family!!!!

MasterCook in any of it's forms is a food program. It is complete with many cookbooks, nutritional information, menu guides, shopping lists, etc.

The newest version, 8.0 has the most incredible Internet Explorer Web Browser Bar that lets you put just any recipe into it and it will import it into MasterCook. Once there, you have to play with the ingredients to get the program to analyze the recipe correctly unless it is already in MC format.

Everyone here that has it and uses it finds it a wonderful tool for lightening recipes and storing the cherished recipes that we already have and don't want to lose.

You can also add to the ingredient list and make your own cookbooks. At this time, I have 119 cookbooks in my program.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

WOW, that is cool, I am jealous, thanks for letting me know what it is. Have fun with it Tickerchick, Arena

That is great tickerchick. I have MC 8 and love it. It takes some time to get to understand all the features. If you have any questions on how do something just ask. Several buddies have MC 8 and would love to answer your questions. Have fun with your new toy.

Laura
    Laura (·ΞΆσ )

Laura's Weight loss Journey
    Korea Pictures
    Lifetime Since Feburary 15th 2005

tickerchick Guest

Thanks, buddies! I installed it last night and played a bit,but had to get off the computer because 2 of my kids had to do homework. Don't they understand how important this is??? Tee Hee!

Tootsie - I bought it at Best Buy for 19.99. Not a bad investment if you have a lot of favorite recipes that you'd like to make more points-friendly.

I need to figure out how to add new ingredients to the ingredient choices.
    Any suggestions?

Ticker

Replies

Um, try this site:
    Pam's site

She has a tons of stuff on how to use MC, including tip files. HAVE FUN!
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

I like that site too. I am always learning something new there!

There are also several threads here at the Mess Hall started by Mrs Zotz mostly that are very step by step in working with MasterCook.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

AS a newbie here, I love Mastercook and have used it since version 4.0(barely-5.0 came out shortly afterwards).

I will say congrats to those who buy and use it. It shouldn't be a prize for a goal, consider a tool needed right now!

It helps my family as we are doing "Family Weight Watchers." I collect recipes from all over the net, various cookbooks(mainly WW ones, though) and put them in MC one at a time. Thank God for the Web Import Bar in version 8!

This $20 piece of software saves us an average of $30-50/week by buying just what we need that has been planned through MC's meal planner. If it's not on the list, it isn't bought. The funny thing is, the daily meal plans are pre-POINTED, so we tend to stay OP more now than ever.

This is an investment and for $20, it's really priceless!!!

Glenn B.

277/258.5/180

tickerchick Guest

Thanks for the feedback, Glenn!

I haven't been able to play with it as much as I want to. I've been sooo busy!!
    I'm another "Family Watchers" leader. Nice to meet you!
    Ticker

cgwoolf Guest

Wow! I'm glad I read this post. I bought some version of MC a couple of years ago and put in all my fav recipes and made a cookbook for my 2 adult children. They loved it...but then I forgot about it. I don't understand how it helps you lighten the points value of recipes though? Can someone expound on that? I'll see if I can't find the time to re-explore it again this weekend as well.

You'd lighten recipes by substituting Eggbeaters or egg whites for whole eggs, using applesauce instead of oil, trying different amounts of high point items like 1/4 cup chocolate chips instead of 1/2 cup. You can also get points down by having more servings, for example 15 servings instead of 12.

There are several rules of thumb in lightening recipes. You basically learn as you go along or ask for help. This is one of the reasons the Mess Hall was started.

For baked goods, you can always adjust the recipe by omitting 1/3 of the sugar called for in a recipe or omitting 3/4 of it and subsituting splenda for the difference. Great fat subs are applesauce, bananas, stewed prunes, or butter buds. Two egg whites equal one whole egg in any recipe or use 1/4 cup egg beaters for each egg. Sub ground turkey or chicken for ground beef when possible, cut the portion size down for the meat in recipes, such as a recipe for four that calls for a full pound of chicken breasts, use 12 ounces and add to the vegetables in the dish to make up for the bulk. Use whole grains when possible and zero point butter sprays or nonstick spray instead of oils or butter when sauteeing. Those are just a few quick pointers. You can take a recipe in MC, copy it and play with changing the ingredients BEFORE you actually make the recipe to see what your results will be point wise. Makes it invaluable! Have fun!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    241.4/142/155

olliewallie Guest

Unhappy Re: Mastercook 8.0

Has anyone had trouble installing Mastercook 8.0 with XP operating system? I had tried on 3 computers, each different "makes", but all with XP and it will not even begin to install. In fact, it crashes all 3 computers. I can not think this is just a coincidence. If this is the case, does anyone know a fix for it? I don't think the software site does. I was really looking forward to using this!

As a long shot, you might try turning off your virus program and see if it will install. I'm still using Version 6, it's on an XP box with no problems.

ValuSoft has a Technical Support section, check out the links on the left frame:
    http://www.valusoftsupport.com/KBArticle.asp?kbid=3990

Replies

The way MasterCook helps with "lightening" recipes is you can change the ingredients in the recipe, then click the nutrition icon and see the result. I use a PointsFinder to quickly recalculate the Points. You can experiment on the computer before you head for the kitchen.

For example for the pumpkin muffins I got from a book, subbing applesauce for oil reduces the points quite a bit. Since this substitution changes the texture, I can also play with subbing applesauce for some of the oil. I also found that using 2 egg whites instead of 1 egg made no difference at all over 12 muffins, so that one's not worth the effort or the extra egg (and wasted yolks).

Last night I was modifying CG bars and found that leaving out the chips and adding 1/3 c. nuts was still 2 Points per bar, but using 1/2 c. nuts would be 3 Points. So I used 1/3 c. nuts when I made them.

So you can easily see which substitutions are worth the trouble.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

olliewallie Guest

Thanks, Frisky. I wonder, it might just be a corrupt CD. I have tried exiting the firewall and virus protection, even defragmented my hard drive on 1 computer, but no use. I tried the third time on a brand-new laptop, so I will email the company and see what they say.

Replies

Welcome, Olliewallie!!

I just wanted to say that if you go (and join) the mastercook group at yahoo.com:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MastercookDiscussion/

you can read the archives or post a question.

However, I did some searching and found this stuff:

Date: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:09 am
    Subject: RE: [MastercookDiscussion] MC8.0 will not install

(Or, if you purchased it locally, they should exchange it for you...)

~ John

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:04 AM
    To: MastercookDiscussion@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: RE: [MastercookDiscussion] MC8.0 will not install

Yes, that does sound like the CD is at fault. Valusoft should send you a
    free one if you explain exactly what is happening.

~ John

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:53 AM
    To: MastercookDiscussion@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [MastercookDiscussion] MC8.0 will not install

Thanks for replying, John. The main problem is it will not install at all on
    any computer. On two of them, the CD drive just spins a bit and then
    nothing. If I try to get it from My Computer and choosing the CD drive, on
    one computer it does nothing and on another it just says "encountered an
    error and must close."

On the last computer, it will try to start the install, but after the DVD
    drive spins a bit, it says "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or
    WriteProcessMemory request was completed." If I try to access from My
    Computer, it will say "MC* setup app failed to initialize properly
    (Oxc0000006)" and then will "crash" the computer. Sounds like the CD,
    doesn't it?
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Other than the cd being defective which is entirely possible and probably the most likely answer, you could check to see if you have Windows Service Pack 2 installed to your computer. I know people that had trouble with many different software programs and when they downloaded SP2 from the Windows Update site, they were able to install what ever program that had given them trouble before. I believe it has some patches in it that solves problems with software that was made before XP though because you used to have to get XP Pro in order to install large programs like MasterCook or the Sims. Now that they have improved the home version of XP, those issues are gone and if you install XP2 it takes care of older XP programs.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    241.4/142/155

I am just wondering if Mastercook figures out the points for you when you enter a recipe into it?

Thanks,
    Kim

No, it doesn't specifically say "this recipe will be 3 points per serving".

It gives the info for YOU to figure the points with your slider, Desktop calculator, or handheld device.

Debnicu Guest

I currently have MC 7, is there much of a difference with 8. I love MC and if it has added features I would love to upgrade it.

Question Re: Mastercook 8.0

Where do you buy the MC program. Id love to have it. It would make my life much easier and all you buddies who have it and told us about it boy does it sound great. Can I order it online?
    SW-362
    CW-327
    GW-160
    Been having a slight gain for the past 3 weeks
    Im still hanging in there
    - 35lbs lost forever
    Made my first 10% today 5/25/05

~*SARA*~

Today, when I awoke, I suddenly realized that this is the best day of my life

Here is the link to the ValuSoft page where you can purchase it online. You could also do a MC search and see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere:

http://http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    241.4/142/155

SharonInWI Guest

I just bought my Master Cook 8.0 and LOVE it! I told everyone at my weekly meeting about it since everyone is always hoping to get some new recipes. I think this will be a great motivator to try some new recipes and know that I can stay on track! :bcbsalute