Thread: Oatmeal

Stumisses Guest

Default Oatmeal

Hi buds,

Quick question about oatmeal.

Is it 2 pts. per 1 cup cooked or uncooked? The book lists it under coooked cereals, but I don't know if the measurement refers to the cereal before or after it's cooked.

Thanks!

Default Re: Oatmeal

That is for cooked oatmeal. What does the nutritional info say?
    *Hugs*
    ~Gina~
    Recommitted - 2/4/04 after baby #4
    SW 223.6
    CW 151.2
    WWG 130
    PG 123.6

Princess Two Shakes and a Shimmey

Stumisses Guest

There is no nutritional info. It's just regular uncooked oatmeal.

But after I posted this it occurred to me that it doesn't really matter with plain, uncooked oatmeal because the only reason it expands after cooking is due to water obsorption. Water, thankfully, has 0 points *lol* So, I think I answered my own question. It would be 2 pts. for 1 cup uncooked - which does yield much more when cooked, but only because of water/cooking. Of course the point value goes up if you add extras like applesauce, sugar, etc.

deedon63 Guest

Ok since you brought up oatmeal....would love to hear how everyone dresses theirs up. I LOVE oatmeal & usually just add a bit of maple syrup to mine. Haven't tried applesauce as mentioned above, but I will now!!

Your turn!:bcbsalute

Oatmeal is tricky b/c the amount of fiber/serving changes depending on how processed the oatmeal is. (for clarification, I am only talking about plain oatmeal here)
    A packet of oatmeal is 2 pts. Sounds good, but it is a LOT less food than if you make your own from the less-processed stuff.
    I use regular oatmeal b/c I get more for 2 pts. However, it's (according to my package) 2 pts for 1/2 cup uncooked, which yields about twice as much as the slightly-processed stuff in the packets that comes in at the same pt value.

My favorite ways to eat oatmeal? Raw, uncooked with milk and raisins on top. mmm...tastes like granola!

Hope that helped some.
    Lesh

candees Guest

Okay, I consider myself an Oatmeal expert. This is how I do it. I make my oatmeal with milk (1 &1/4 cups). I add a little salt and cinnamon to the milk while it is heating. Then I add 1/2 cup of oatemal and 1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal. I then add one banana to the oatmeal while it is cooking. When there is one minute left I add 1 TBS of FF/SF butterscotch pudding mix (dry) and then 1 squirt of SF/FF maple syrup.

This is total CORE. On FLEX the points would be 6. Seems like a lot, but very filling.

Candee
    Lifetime member since 2000
    42 LBS Gone

Replies
    Blog Entries

273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

Replies

I like to start with 1 cup water; as it is boiling, I add apple chunks or any other fruit that I have on hand. When the water boils, I add 1/2 cup uncooked oats, stir a bit, add some cinamon, and remove from heat. After mixing a bit, I put it into a bowl and add splenda, usually 2 packs. Sometimes I prefer the cold fruit mixed in, but this is usually only when I have fresh strawberries available.

Candees.........question: if you're mixing oatmeal and fiberone, isn't that more than the daily CORE allowance??? just curious. I do like the sf/ff pudding adding idea. going to try that one!
    Susie, 40, mom of 3...ages 10,8, and 2 1/2!
    ....sw/cw 225........I was active here about 5 years ago.
    Thinking it's time to get my feet wet again........scary, but time to just do it.

jmjgtodd Guest

mmm I love oatmeal. I buy it bulk at Whole Foods and get the rolled oats (not quick cook) I use 1/2 cup dry and count it as 2 points. I add almost a cup of hot water and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then cook it for a minute in the microwave. Watch that it doesn't overflow the bowl. I then add Watkins Apple Bake spice (smells like apple pie!), 1/2 chopped apple, 1 T of sliced toasted almonds and then some Molly Mcbutter! For 3 1/2 points, it is very filling!

Replies

I love all the new ideas you guys have.

I love oatmeal and eat it just about every morning. I like it with fresh fruit most of the time. I am using water now. But, I am going to start using milk to get more into my plan. I am not a big milk drinker. I am going to try the ff/sf pudding.
    Debbie
    • STR W 175.4 2-18-05
    • CW 168.2 3-24-05
    • GW 135
    What we call Failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.

deedon63 Guest

Talking Re: Oatmeal

You guys ROCK! I knew you would have wonderful suggestions for oatmeal. THANKS!

I often add pb to my oatmeal. I find with that little bit of protein I can go further with it and not get hungry. I should try egg whites and see if that works and then it would be core.
    Eachday I add banana, apple, raisins and then kind of repeat.

adorableabby Guest

Talking Re: Oatmeal

I love oatmeal for breakfast, I add an apple,cinnamon,cook,then my Pb,flax and sugar free caramel syrup.yum,I ran out of oatmeal,gotta go get some.
    Brenda

I love it with lite yogurt and almonds 1T. after it is cooked. I use 1/2 cup dry for 2pts with 3/4 cup water and nuke for 3 mins. Then add above ingredients for a grand total of 5pts, really fills me up and holds me till lunch. Jane
    I can do this with the strength Christ gives me!!
    S/W 223.4 / WW G/W 150 reached on 12/23/03
    Working my way back to goal !!

Replies

Just checked my WW Food Companion and oatmeal has 2 points per cup for COOKED. If it is uncooked, 1 cup has 5 points. That would make one heck of a lot of oatmeal.

Ann
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Replies

I would never have believe that something I got very tired of as a child is such a great and easy breakfast. Now that i really know the points I can have a little more than I was making. Great ideas everyone, I hadn't thought about using milk instead of water!

Alex
    SW 225/CW 212/GW 150
    Re-committed March 26
    Don't shortchange yourself!

Replies

This morning I cooked 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup Irish oatmeal, 2 packs of splenda and cinnamon in microwave for 1 min 45 seconds. THEN I added 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries and stirred! The heat of the oatmeal defrosted the berries, and the berries cooled down the oatmeal so I could partake immediately!! (I hate waiting for it to cool!). It was da bomb diggity!
    5'2" SW-144.0 CW-136 GW-129.0

I love Oatmeal and for some reason I figure it as 3 pts for a whole cup...

Replies

I really like oatmeal for breakfast too. Sometimes I add a dash of cinnamon and some SF DiVinci Vanilla syrup to mine . Yum.

ooo I never thought about adding DV syup. Thanks

I add some Carnation FF Instant Hot Chocolate Mix to my oatmeal with a couple of drops of liquid splenda. I came across this idea a couple of years ago on this board. My favorite way to eat oatmeal is with some heavy whipping cream, brown sugar and butter. Oh what a treat! This is only enjoyed a couple of times a year. I also like to eat it with a little Silk, Butter Buds and 0 cal Sugar Free Maple Syrup. As I type this reply, I can't help but wonder what a little Watkins Peanut Butter flavoring would taste like in my chocolate oatmeal. Hmmm!

That sounds to go now I want oatmeal.