Thread: Am I exercising enough?

1. Default Am I exercising enough?

I have been on WW since 2 wks before Christmas. I currently eat 18-20 pts a day. On Mon-Thurs mornings I do 25 mins on my elliptical trainer. On Saturday and Sunday I do 30-35 minutes. Friday is my only day off.

Does this sound like enough exercise? I work in an office so I don't get a whole lot of exercise during the day.

Default Re: Am I exercising enough?

They used to recommend 30 minutes a day, that's been changed to 60 minutes. Most of the elliptical work is cardio, you might start adding in some strength training.

Three times a week is minimum to maintain fitness level so you more than have that covered.

Google has a bunch of links you can read:

Google Results

Replies

It sounds to me like you are doing great. The important thing is to keep up the good work! :bcbsalute and not get yourself overwhelmed. Don't feel pressured to add more if you're not ready! When you're ready to add more, if you have time you can add more on Mon.-Thurs. (maybe go up to 30 min.), and then as Frisky said you might consider adding a different type of exercise such as resistance (weight) training or Pilates or Yoga a couple times a week. It depends on what is practical for you and what you enjoy doing. Any exercise beats no exercise.

Also since you are exercising regularly you may want to consider eating more. If you are doing Winning Points with an 18-23 range and you are also earning a couple activity points a day, I would recommend you not drop below 20 very often, and maybe go up even higher. You may find it helps your weight loss. On the current program (the Flex Points side of TurnAround) your Target would be 20 and you would be expected to not go below that.

Enjoy!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

4. Default Re: Am I exercising enough?

Thanks! I wondered if I should go back up to 20 pts. I had been losing 2 lbs a week steadily, then it slowed the past couple of weeks when I was eating 18 pts a day and trying to get a couple more minutes of exercise in. I guess my body is protecting itself from starving.

1texasmom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nancyny
    It sounds to me like you are doing great. The important thing is to keep up the good work! :bcbsalute and not get yourself overwhelmed. Don't feel pressured to add more if you're not ready! Enjoy!
    This is good advise! If you're not used to excercising on a regular basis, you want to start slow and build gradually. The last thing you need is to get hurt, burned out, or bored. Take it easy. Keep doing your routine. Listen to your body...you'll know when you need to do more. Most trainers will recommend that you increase by only 10% a week - and not duration and intensity at the same time...one or the other. That is if you were doing 20 minutes on the treadmill and you boost up to 22, then don't also had a huge incline. Save the incline for next week.