Thread: Question about Burning off WW Points and Increasing Food Intake

Salsa_1960 Guest

Default Question about Burning off WW Points and Increasing Food Intake

I have a question about points and exercises.

I have a program that counts your points for certain types of exercises depending on your weight. So, for instance, about 9.5 minutes of jogging, (for my weight), burns off about 1 WW Point. I also understand that if you know how many calories you're burning off, (like on a treadmill that counts them), you can figure 100 calories as 1 WW Point burned off.

Here's my question: Is there a limit as to how many points you're able to burn off daily? I mean, say you're aiming to take in 20 WWPts a day. (I am). And say you burn off 6 WWPts doing exercises. (I did just this yesterday). Does that mean I can eat 26 WWPts in my diet? Is there a limit? Can I pig out if I exercise like a dog? (Pardon the pun).

~Sandy

Default Re: Question about Burning off WW Points and Increasing Food Intake

No limit to the number of APs you can earn in one day. WW recommends consulting a professional if you're going to earn more than 4.

Eat them the day you earn them with Flex or Core.

I wonder about the 9.5 minutes of jogging burning a point. Are you real sure about that? Are you covering a mile in that amount of time?

Replies

Well, WW doesn't intend you to exercise like crazy so you get an excuse to binge, or to cover up for a binge. That's not the point at all.

Activity Points are intended to provide extra fuel if you are active. For that they work very well. And that is why you use them, if you like, the day you earn them.

You have the calculation right. If your target is 20, and you earn 6 activity points, you may eat 26 Points that day. If you want more, you can use Flex Points (up to 35 per week).

The 4-point recommendation is an average. If you exercise and earn 6 activity points every other day, that wouldn't be a problem. Be reasonable. If you're going to regularly go over 28 Activity Points a week, be sure you're healthy enough (check with a doctor or trainer) and that you've worked up to it slowly. You can get hurt if you do too much to fast, and you can sabotage yourself without realizing it if you over-train.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Salsa_1960 Guest

I don't think I'm binging. I don't think I ever eat more than 24 pts a day. Usually 22 or 23. I probably average 4 pts a day in exercising. I did 5 today. A lot of my exercising is walking. Just got a treadmill yesterday, but I was walking outdoors quite a bit.

Part of my problem is that I have too much time on my hands and if I don't find a way keep busy, I eat.

1texasmom Guest

I earn anywhere from 6 - 13 APs per day. If I'm hungry I eat them. If not, then I let them go. I'd recommend a chat with your leader if your earning 6 every day. They can really help get your menu down. My leader is the one who finally got me over a big hump by insisting that I eat more - and of the right things. She pointed me towards lean protiens and milk for strong bones and muscles.

Elizabethlea Guest

In the first book I got, which included some info about excersise points, it specifically said that you can earn as many points as you want, but you can only EAT 12 of them per week.

However I am in Australia, so maybe the rules are different over here?

Elizabeth

Elizabethlea said: However I am in Australia, so maybe the rules are different over here?
    Yes, a bit different than USA plans. You don't have limits on fruits either do you? We have no free fruits, there's lots of free veggies but not fruit.

Replies

However I am in Australia, so maybe the rules are different over here?
    Each country has its own plan and its own rules. Some have different formulas for calculating Points. I believe WW considers what each country's government health agency recommends as part of forming the WW plan for that country.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Elizabethlea Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nancyny
    Each country has its own plan and its own rules. .
    It is very interesting to hear that we actually folow different programs! But it does not surprise me, because when my mother asked our leader about the "core" program, our leader had never heard of it.

As for fruit, we have to count fruit points too, but practically all vegetables are free.

I'm Sorry I couldn't be of any more help, salsa_1960.
    Last edited by Elizabethlea; 02-17-2005 at 06:58 PM. Reason: grammatical errors