Thread: Too many points!!!!

my3preciousbabies Guest

Default Too many points!!!! (edited to add dinner)

Am I the only one having a hard time eating all their points????????? I am breastfeeding so I get 38pts a day, maybe I should cut my breastfeeding points in half since I only nurse him mainly at night, but then again I exercise about 5 days a week for 30-60mins or more. Sigh, I guess I kind of have a fear of food!

My other biggest problem is preparing meals for the family and figuring points from what I eat. Like for me with HB meat I normally boil the meat (which I was told this cuts out almost all the fat) or if I don't boil it I rise my meat off in hot water after it's cooked, now I know that this effects the points so how do you figure it???????? That can be a HUGE difference. And going to resturants that are not listed is hard too because there are a few places around here that we love but they are not listed so I try to figure out the points on my own but I could be totally off and not know it but I don't want to eat salads anytime I go out.

But really just eating my points is the hardest. I try to eat well but a lot of foods I do eat don't have a lot of points in them, I am kind of afraid to eat foods with a lot of points, so the past few days I have been just doing it. And I feel like a BIG PIG! I guess it feels like cheating or something? I am OP's even when I ate sweets. I have made all these better choices because I do believe that it's not just about saying in your points but what you eat too. Sigh does anyone else have this problem. Does anyone else fear food? Or feel they have a lot of points to eat? I bet I won't be writting this once I get to 20pts lol.

BELOW I HAVE WHAT ALL I HAVE EATEN TODAY.
    Last edited by my3preciousbabies; 02-15-2005 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Update with meals for day

GiGiGaluba Guest

Default Re: Too many points!!!!

How about trying some high protein stuff for breakfast?? eggbeaters and cheese and loww toast----I like to make a sandwich for 4 points (only 1 oz of cheese) Having a bigger breakfast is good to get your metabolism moving too!!

Hi there:

I am also having trouble eating my points, and I only get 22. I mentioned this in a weight watcher meeting, and all the people just....looked at me. I don't think the leader believed me, but she told me it's really important to meet my daily points requirement. I have been trying some foods that I enjoy that have higher points values, so it is easier to meet the requirement.

I try hard to eat foods that I like but that are very healthful, so a meal for me might only be a couple of points. I also have tried to eat some foods with more points, but like you, I feel like I'm cheating!
    I am still losing weight, though, so I guess I must not be. . .

What I did about my family's meals is recorded all the points in the meal (I wouldn't count off points for preparation, as in your hamburger method.... I figure if I'm a point or two higher in my estimation than actual points in the food, that's better than the other way around), and then divide by how many servings there are in the dish.
    Sometimes, though, it's just easier to eat something different than the kids, too, that I know the points value of.

I too have a bit of a fear of food... that's, after all, what got me into this mess. Well, kind of. Actually, it was more the attitude I had about food that got me into this mess. So I'm trying really hard to relax, and sit down, and enjoy the meals I make for myself, even if they are really delicious and wonderful and I feel like a cheater for eating them.
    One other thing that I found that helped this a bit was to plan my menu for the whole day the night before. If I didn't stick to that exact plan, that was okay, but just knowing that my points added up to the right amount, and I was not a big cheater for eating what is on my plan helped me to relax and not be afraid to enjoy my meals.

I don't want to sound pushy, but it is probably important for you to come as close to your daily points allowed as possible, since your milk supply and health might be at risk if your metabolism slows down in response to too little food.

Let me know how it's going,

Jeanne

my3preciousbabies Guest

I do that already! But that's only 4 pts or less lol that still leaves me with 34plus points a day to eat!!!! That gives me 17 points a piece for the remaining meals.

A couple of weeks ago you were asking how to stop overeating. Then you had to resist pizza when the hubby brought some home. I'm confused.

Have you talked to your leader about the nursing points? Maybe he or she has some input about how many to cut back if any.

my3preciousbabies Guest

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulme
    Hi there:

I am also having trouble eating my points, and I only get 22. I mentioned this in a weight watcher meeting, and all the people just....looked at me. I don't think the leader believed me, but she told me it's really important to meet my daily points requirement. I have been trying some foods that I enjoy that have higher points values, so it is easier to meet the requirement.

I try hard to eat foods that I like but that are very healthful, so a meal for me might only be a couple of points. I also have tried to eat some foods with more points, but like you, I feel like I'm cheating!
    I am still losing weight, though, so I guess I must not be. . .

What I did about my family's meals is recorded all the points in the meal (I wouldn't count off points for preparation, as in your hamburger method.... I figure if I'm a point or two higher in my estimation than actual points in the food, that's better than the other way around), and then divide by how many servings there are in the dish.
    Sometimes, though, it's just easier to eat something different than the kids, too, that I know the points value of.

I too have a bit of a fear of food... that's, after all, what got me into this mess. Well, kind of. Actually, it was more the attitude I had about food that got me into this mess. So I'm trying really hard to relax, and sit down, and enjoy the meals I make for myself, even if they are really delicious and wonderful and I feel like a cheater for eating them.
    One other thing that I found that helped this a bit was to plan my menu for the whole day the night before. If I didn't stick to that exact plan, that was okay, but just knowing that my points added up to the right amount, and I was not a big cheater for eating what is on my plan helped me to relax and not be afraid to enjoy my meals.

I don't want to sound pushy, but it is probably important for you to come as close to your daily points allowed as possible, since your milk supply and health might be at risk if your metabolism slows down in response to too little food.

Let me know how it's going,

Jeanne
    Thanks! I'ts nice to know I am not alone! Yeah I find I am eating other foods like I will just eat like a snack cake or something lol because it has a few more points. but I want to eat healthy but when I do the points are too low. I should figure out what to eat the next day just I am a mood person, I have to be in the mood for some foods vs others. I did get some dinners for lunch. The thing about the HB is a HUGE difference, I can only get 80% but by boiling it you take out a large amount of fat, the difference between 80% and 92% is like half, so if I just count the points as if I didn't get rid of the fat, then I could have a good amount of points left. So that could possibly bring me under points if I don't know for sure. On simple things I don't mind but when it could be a difference of like 5 points or so that's a huge margine. Since I am cutting out the fat, my doctor told me by what I am doing it's taking out about 98% of the fat should I then count my meat as that percent? I am confused! sigh.

Replies

I think it might help if you posted your menus or planned meals. I've seen a lot of helpful advice on the boards when you post your logs, so that may help.

38 is a lot and you said yourself you're not nursing all day, so I question whether that's where you should be. Have you spoken to a WW Leader?
    SW 225/CW 212/GW 150
    Re-committed March 26
    Don't shortchange yourself!

my3preciousbabies Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frisky
    A couple of weeks ago you were asking how to stop overeating. Then you had to resist pizza when the hubby brought some home. I'm confused.

Have you talked to your leader about the nursing points? Maybe he or she has some input about how many to cut back if any.
    It was the URGE of overeating I was talking about, I didn't say that I constatly cram things in my mouth but that I have the urge to do so. Since starting WW I have been really big about wanting to eat healthy BUT I still will eat anything that I like like crazy (hence my fear of food and why I refused the pizza) this could be something like carrots, so I wanted to know how to eat with out over doing it when I do. Also why I didn't feel bad for eating pizza the other night and still stayed OP. I do have a lot of points, the day about the pizza if you recall it was also past 10:30 pm I don't eat past 9pm unless I am seriously hungry which I never am. ALSO I knew that I would go over points that day, I could of went to mcdonalds that day or something which will greatly effect my points that day depending on what I got vs a normal day at home. If I am at home I eat far less points then if we go out somewhere. Points really add up FAST when you are out to eat!

So this is why I am now where I am, I am trying to eat healthy but finding myself fearing food for the two reasons stating above. The problem is that I feel like I am resorting to foods I don't feel to be nessarly good for me just so I can use all my points. I hope I am making sense.

my3preciousbabies Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG604
    I think it might help if you posted your menus or planned meals. I've seen a lot of helpful advice on the boards when you post your logs, so that may help.

38 is a lot and you said yourself you're not nursing all day, so I question whether that's where you should be. Have you spoken to a WW Leader?
    I don't have a leader I am doing ww at home I cannot afford to go to meetings.

I don't have planned menues, I just eat as I go and count my points some days are better then others, infact some days is healthier then others.

But here is what I had today:

Breakfast:

1/4 cup of oatmeal (before cooked) mixed with 1/2 cup of low fat yogurt this cost me a total of 2pts! I also put in a 1/2 cup of strawberries 1pt (actually less) 1 tbs sugar 1pt.
    Water for drink
    4pts
    An alternate is a 3egg omelet with 98% ff ham and ff cheese this normally is under 4pts.

Lunch:

I ate two lean hot pockets (to up my points)
    This was 7pts. Water to drink

Lunch can be a veggie burger with carrots, or a salad it ranges

Snack:
    Cream Cheese snack cake thing 5pts

I have not had dinner yet tonight and I am not sure yet what I am going to fix.

Normally my oils I either put in my cooking or in a salad (which I have for dinner).
    Oh and I had some soda and that was 2pts.

So that leaves me with 21 pts for dinner!!!!!! Dinner normally consists of a meat with veggies

Okay I just had dinner I am eating it right now,

I had 3 eggs (two yolks one white) 3pts
    2 waffles 6pts
    2 tbsp strawberrie spread 2pts
    8oz of V8 juice 0 pts (diet v8)

I think I am going to have pop corn for a snack which is 2 pts. I bought some green tea to try out.....
    Last edited by my3preciousbabies; 02-15-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Replies

What would your points be if you didn't count the nursing points?
    SW 225/CW 212/GW 150
    Re-committed March 26
    Don't shortchange yourself!

For nursing mothers, 3 servings of milk are suggested, that takes care of approximately 6 points a day. Vegetable and fruits should be increased to 8 servings minimum. Oil should be increased to 3 teaspoons a day, that takes care of another 3 points. Water increased to a minimum of 8 glasses a day. They also recommend a safe rate of weight loss is 1 pound per week after the 3rd week on program.

See pages 44 and 45 for nursing mothers in the Week 1 book. They also recommend following the 8 Good Health Guidelines found on pages 34 through 41.

my3preciousbabies Guest

28 I get 10 points for nursing

If you're at 205 as your profile shows, you get 26 plus the 10.
    Plus the 35 WPA and APs if you choose to earn and eat those.

my3preciousbabies Guest

For nursing mothers, 3 servings of milk are suggested, that takes care of approximately 6 points a day. Vegetable and fruits should be increased to 8 servings minimum. Oil should be increased to 3 teaspoons a day, that takes care of another 3 points. Water increased to a minimum of 8 glasses a day. They also recommend a safe rate of weight loss is 1 pound per week after the 3rd week on program.

See pages 44 and 45 for nursing mothers in the Week 1 book. They also recommend following the 8 Good Health Guidelines found on pages 34 through 41.
    I don't have the books or anything as I am doing this from home. so it does make things harder, however I can't drink milk. So I have to find it hard sometimes, Because my son is allergic, he can tolerate some milk products but not straight milk. If I have it I will be up all night long with a SCREAMING baby! NOT fun! So I drink soy, if I do it's soy which is much lower in points and I only can stand what with cereal which I don't drink the remaining milk after I am done with the cereal. My oils are no problem I drink as much water as I can stand lol.

my3preciousbabies Guest

If you're at 205 as your profile shows, you get 26 plus the 10.
    Plus the 35 WPA and APs if you choose to earn and eat those.
    That's right because I just went down I am actually 204 now, I was 214 when I started and that was 28pts. Still it's only 2pts less I make that up in my AP.

Not to nitpick but even at 214 pounds you were allowed 26 plus the 10 nursing. When you hit 199, you'll drop to 24 Target plus Nursing if applicable, plus the 35 WPA and AP.

Are you following Flex or Winning Points?

my3preciousbabies Guest

I went back to check and you are right, I don't know how I got 28. Still doesn't help me out much either way since it's not that big of a drop. Oh flex.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Too many points!!!!

Hi,

I was wondering if the eggs that you had for dinner were real eggs? If so they are 2pts each. I believe that whites are free for up to 3 but eggs with yolks are 2 pts each. Continued success to you.
    Kathy

Over goal and not happy

deedon63 Guest

Hello Misty!

I'm a rookie with WW & also found it hard to get all my points in when I first started. I was afraid to eat anything that was 5pts! And it felt good to be afraid to eat something - it's the first time in my life that ever happened!

But I have relaxed a little about it after 4 weeks on the program (and down 14.5 lbs!! ) but still haven't had anything in my mouth over 7pts. So...I sorta know where you are coming from. Can you eat cheese? I switched from FF cheese to 2% cheese (which actually tastes the same to me as regular cheese) to add on some points and help get in some dairy. For instance, I have a ham & cheese sandwich with FF mayo rather than just a ham sandwich. Or an egg & cheese omlet rather than just an egg. You could also eat fruits & veggies with 1 or 2 points rather than no point ones. For me, adding 1 or 2 pts at a time was better than adding something with a lot of points to try to make my daily intake. I felt guilty doing that.

Anyway - stay with it....you'll do fine once you tweak your program to your comfort zone!

The only lean pockets I have ever had were at least 6 points per pocket, even Smart Ones. I admit I haven't tried them all. Could this be a miscalculation?

To add points, why not try eating stuff that the normal WW might cut out? For example: unsalted nuts (one serving is about 4 points), peanut butter sandwich (about 5 points, add an extra for jelly), salad with REAL dressing (better for absorbing the nutrients anyway), shakes with soy milk, ice cream or yogurt, and fruit, macaroni and cheese, oil or butter on your veggies, pizza (thin crust with cheese, extra sauce), regular bread instead of light, or chocolate soy milk, to name a few. All of these choices are okay if you don't overdo it.

If you ate a breakfast of 1 egg, 3 whites, 2 slices of regular bread, a few pieces of canadian bacon, a glass of soymilk, and a piece of fruit, that will knock out about 10 points.

A snack of a smoothie shake is about 5-6 points, so 15.

Another snack of some nuts could be about 5 points, so 20.

Lunch of mac and cheese, peanut butter sand, and a peice of fruit (have NO idea if this combo would taste good together, just for illustration) would put you up close to 31 points.

Then the rest for dinner, which could be a pasta dish, salad with full fat dressing, and some lean meat.

Just eat what you ate before WW but just in moderation.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I would have trouble eating this many points a day! When I went on maintenance the first time, I was eating about 35/day and still felt like I was "watching it."

Try this dessert (I have been wanting to try it but never have the points:

1 banana, cut into circles, kind of smashed
    1/2 cup frozen yogurt, light ice cream, or yogurt
    2 tbsp peanut butter, melted and poured on top
    a bit of heshey's light syrup drizzled on top

I think it is called Monkey Food and DH and his weightlifting friends used to eat it after lifting b/c of the potassium, calcium, and they used to sprinkle protein powder on top.
    Last edited by Christena; 02-16-2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typos
    Christena
    SW: 193
    CW: 193
    GW: 130

my3preciousbabies Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Christena

The only lean pockets I have ever had were at least 6 points per pocket, even Smart Ones. I admit I haven't tried them all. Could this be a miscalculation?

To add points, why not try eating stuff that the normal WW might cut out? For example: unsalted nuts (one serving is about 4 points), peanut butter sandwich (about 5 points, add an extra for jelly), salad with REAL dressing (better for absorbing the nutrients anyway), shakes with soy milk, ice cream or yogurt, and fruit, macaroni and cheese, oil or butter on your veggies, pizza (thin crust with cheese, extra sauce), regular bread instead of light, or chocolate soy milk, to name a few. All of these choices are okay if you don't overdo it.

If you ate a breakfast of 1 egg, 3 whites, 2 slices of regular bread, a few pieces of canadian bacon, a glass of soymilk, and a piece of fruit, that will knock out about 10 points.

A snack of a smoothie shake is about 5-6 points, so 15.

Another snack of some nuts could be about 5 points, so 20.

Lunch of mac and cheese, peanut butter sand, and a peice of fruit (have NO idea if this combo would taste good together, just for illustration) would put you up close to 31 points.

Then the rest for dinner, which could be a pasta dish, salad with full fat dressing, and some lean meat.

Just eat what you ate before WW but just in moderation.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I would have trouble eating this many points a day! When I went on maintenance the first time, I was eating about 35/day and still felt like I was "watching it."

Try this dessert (I have been wanting to try it but never have the points:

1 banana, cut into circles, kind of smashed
    1/2 cup frozen yogurt, light ice cream, or yogurt
    2 tbsp peanut butter, melted and poured on top
    a bit of heshey's light syrup drizzled on top

I think it is called Monkey Food and DH and his weightlifting friends used to eat it after lifting b/c of the potassium, calcium, and they used to sprinkle protein powder on top.
    I can't have things like Mac n Cheese because of my son, I also have to have lacto's free cheese so these cheeses are already low in cals, I cannot drink soy milk just to drink it can we say NASTY, I don't care HOW much I need the points lol and I can't stand nuts, and not a fan of peanut butter, the thing is as I said I don't want to eat the foods I ate before because I am trying to eat better not the same. Before it was a combination of over eating and eating the wrong foods. I want to be healthy so I don't want to eat lots of cheeses and fats, I don't believe those things are really good for your body. I want to eat more naturally. I might just stick to the same meats and just eat a little more of that and not slack off like I have been since they add up in points a little faster.

The eggs, It was suppose to say 1pts for the egg whites I made a bunch of eggs for the family and then divided it up so it came to be 3points for what I ate in eggs.

AND YEPPERS you read that RIGHT the hot pockets for TWO was only 7pts, I put it in my calculater, they are the hot pocket brank ULTRA lean pockets, For example the hot pockets I have today they are per hot pocket:

Cals: 200
    Fat: 6grams
    Fiber: 7g

When you key that in its 7points in the points calculator. The calculator only goes up to 4 on the fiber so I know that it is correct! Cool HUH? I do use wheat bread but it's the same cals of regular bread it's 70 cals. I did buy some frozen yogurt yesterday at the store. I bought a few snacks too that may help up the points. I might go a head and only use half of my nursing points since I am not nursing full time. That might help. As far as the weight loss amount my doctor said that the 1-2lbs or so a week is fine for me as long as I am doing it healthfully!

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I should stop feeling guilty when eating and just enjoy all the points while I have them. I guess it's more of a mind thing. It's not that it's hard persay to eat the points if I eat high cal foods, it's just I feel like I am doing something wrong or cheating or not being healthy when I am eating all the time.

Replies

Off the subject a bit.. but Chrisena... how many points for that dessert?? It sounds AWESOME!!!
    Dani

SW: 228.5 lbs (09/01/07)
    WW SW: 220.5 (10/12/07)
    CW: 213.0 (11/09/07)
    1st 10%: 198.5
    GW: 140 lbs

Lost so far: 15.5 lbs!!

2 for banana
    2 for light ice cream
    4 for peanut butter
    1 for choc syrup
    So that's 9 points, but it wouldn't be bad fat, just fat from the peanut butter.
    Also you would get one fruit serving and I don't know if ice cream counts as a dairy...maybe?
    Of course, I would probably only eat half the banana and half of the peanut butter....a little bit of melted peanut butter goes a long way.