Thread: Breakfast Cookie problems- anyone else?

Replies

Question Breakfast Cookie problems- anyone else?

Hi!

I made the big breakfast cookie recently, and I can't figure out what happened! It never solidified, even after I baked it, and I there wasn't enought dough to pat it in the pie pan and reach the sides. Anyone else have a similar problem?

My husband and kids wound up eating the crumbs since I had no idea how to count 2 fingerfulls of the stuff.
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Default Re: Breakfast Cookie problems- anyone else?

Jeannette,

What recipe did you use that calls for baking it in a pie pan? I made some of the Baker's Breakfast cookie clones last week and they turned out fine.
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Replies

Hi Lisa!

This is the recipe I used:

<B>
    Big Breakfast Cookie 4pts

This recipe is from WW. They list it as 5 points, but I've got it less than 4 by using reduced fat peanut butter & different brands of hot chocolate mix.

1/4 C. oatmeal
    1 pkg. hot chocolate mix -fat or sugar free
    1 tsp. baking powder
    2 T. raisins
    2 T. water
    1 T. peanut butter
    1 tsp. honey

Mix all together. Spray pie plate or cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Pat into a circle. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Makes one serving. 5 points or less.

I couldn't get it to hold together, and I (mistakenly) assumed that when it said pie platethat there would be enough dough/batter to cover the bottom.

I used reduced fat peanut butter, WW hot chocolate mix and rolled oats. My calculations using my ingredients gave me a point value of almost 6 :eek:, so I was hoping to cut it into halves and stretch it over two days. It came out of the pie plate moist and crumbly- like a crumb topping.
    </B>
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Replies

I can think of a couple things:

Oatmeal. Most of the breakfast cookie recipes call for quick-cooking oats (cut in smaller pieces than rolled oats or "old fashioned" oats). You could try them. I have had no-bake cookies fail to set up when I substituted old fashioned oats.

Peanut butter. Sometimes the recipe really calls for the regular stuff, and reduced-fat won't work. But I consider the oatmeal a bigger suspect.

As for the size, I'd pat the dough out comfortably, I wouldn't try to force it to line the whole pie plate.

Just a few thoughts. I've never made one of these.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

Thanks for the help, Nancy!! I'll give it a shot today- baking day! This cold weather and rain just makes me want to bake.
    Jeannette