Thread: I've quit giving money to WW - but I'm still going to follow Core

AuntieMame Guest

Thumbs down I've quit giving money to WW - but I'm still going to follow Core

I'm disgusted. My best friend has lost 69 pounds on WW (meetings). She is at the goal weight her doctor set, but WW wants her to lose 20 more pounds. She has never, as an adult, been at the weight they suggest and her doctor disapproves of the WW goal weight. But they will not let her become a lifetime member. Instead, she must now pay the new 15.00 a week fee.

The facility they have, a storefront they've had for about 10 years, has the same feel as the church basement -- no comfortable seating, no permanent screens or projectors.

Add to this that the online members are given short shrift.

I am soooo outta there.

Replies

Default Re: I've quit giving money to WW - but I'm still going to follow Core

My understanding is that WW will accept a doctor's goal. I'm not sure what the procedure is for it, but she should ask about it.

Cathy

I think the procedure is to bring a note from the doctor, but she can ask to make sure.

Does your friend go by the American Heart Association to gage her BMI? I have a friend who has lost quite a bit of weight and although she is a lot smaller than she was, she knows that she is still overweight. With that being said, she isn't comfortable in losing more right now, but that doesn't mean that she is at her healthiest weight.

Usually, the doctor's and WW agree because they use the same standards. If your friend's health has improved with the weight she has lot, and it does for the average of us even at losing 10%, then maybe she has told her doctor that she is comfortable where she is, and with the positive improvements the doctor doesn't object. Again, that doesn't mean that she's at the optimal weight for her height, BMI, and age.

Does she and her doctor both disagree with the cart that WW uses to determine a healthly weight based on age, height and BMI? If so, I guess that she's gotten as much as she can from WW right now. If she can maintain where she is and be healthy, I guess she's fine. Sorry to hear about the center where you go not changing it's physical environment for the bettter.

GTF
    SW: 204.6 Highest ever
    CW: 186.5 Thank Goodness
    10%:183.6 Fantastic
    GW: 155 Excellent!

In regard to losing: Every ounce counts!

AuntieMame Guest

The doctor is adamant about WW being wrong in this case.

But I'm sure you must be right and the leaders at our local center are wrong. I've emailed my friend and suggested she get in touch with WW directly.

(My friend is very . . . well endowed. I think her weight must be in her boobs -- she looks great at her current weight. )

5. Default Re: I've quit giving money to WW - but I'm still going to follow Core

AuntieMame:

I hope your friend gets through with the doctor's note. We are told at our meetings at LEAST once a month that if your dr. sets a weight for you that they will accept it.

I had to laugh at the well endowed comment. My childhood best friend always had tiny waist, huge on top, pretty big hips. Men were asking her out when she was TEN (hopefully they thought she was older!). She is 5'4 and when Oprah lost all that weight on protein shakes so did my friend. At 150 lbs., which officially was still above her allowable weight, (at least by today's standards) she looked like a stick with breasts and hips. She looked quite ill in the face. She had a harder time finding clothes than she did at 200 lbs. 20 years later, she is at 175 lbs. and she really looks better than I do at 150 lbs. Not everyone fits into these neat little categories.

Here's hoping you find a WW site with great leaders and cushy seats. My leader says when the seats are uncomfortable, be glad, because the cushion is disappearing from your bum....
    Latebloomer

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieMame
    (My friend is very . . . well endowed. I think her weight must be in her boobs -- she looks great at her current weight. )
    I can relate to that. In fact, for the first time in my life I'm feeling like my back hurts from heavy boobs. I fall into the category though of being better proportioned when I lose weight. When I gain, my breasts get bigger and bigger. When I was younger, in my 20s and 30s it was kind of fun, but now it is kind of a burden. Just one more reason to lose these extra pounds.

latebloomer, I can also relate to the part about being so endowed at an early age that men who really shouldn't pay attention to you do; that was gross. Also, the good thing about the charts nowadays is that the fit isn't so rigid as in the past. And being someone myself who is well endowed, I can say that large boobs don't always fit into neat categories either. They may be large, but doesn't mean they aren't cumbersome and out of proportion for the best weight.

GTF
    SW: 204.6 Highest ever
    CW: 186.5 Thank Goodness
    10%:183.6 Fantastic
    GW: 155 Excellent!

In regard to losing: Every ounce counts!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieMame

You gave me quite a chuckle Auntie Mame-Many of us would love to have just a little more of this problem!
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

And many of us would like less of it

-Ally
    SW: 89.4kg [197lbs]
    CW: 76kg [167lbs]
    GW: 65kg [143lbs]

S BMI:33.2
    C BMI: 27.2
    G BMI:24.2

karen_wizzabeth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honey123

-Ally
    Amen to that!!!!
    <hoping my 40 D's go back to 34 B's...but would be happy with 34 C....>

Minelli0205 Guest

Talking Re: I've quit giving money to WW - but I'm still going to follow Core

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Honey123

-Ally

If I could get my 38 DD into a 36 D by the time I'm done with my weight loss I will really be a happy camper.

Replies

I have been saying all along that of the 24 pds I have left to loose 20 of that is in my boobs.. when I tell people how much I have left to loose they look at me and say oh no.. you don't want to look like your sick....I know that WW's will accept a note from the doctor as my MIL was told that if she didn't want to lose what WW's thinks she should just bring a note in from her doctor and it will be fine
    Donna

I had a simular problem the first time I went to ww...The leader wanted me to go a lot lower than what I thought was right so I went to my doctor and he said no way can you go that low, but the note I took back to ww was good enough, this time I am having better results and I'm doing without the meetings.
    The only one that can stop me...is me...and I can take her!

SW~265 CW~195 GW~159

Replies

As someone else had stated, as long as your friend brings a note from her doctor into the meeting room that states her weight goal, then WW accepts that as goal and then it's 6 weeks of maintenance, from there lifetime.

If you do not like the center you are going to, is there another one that you could possibly attend to continue getting the group support?

Jen
    Lifetime 6-22-03
    Heaviest 197.4
    Restart 190/C-176.0 /WWG-159

A do-over moment! 1-1-07 -14.0
    The only shame in slipping is not getting back up!

http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/653463.png

Replies

I had to join in once the discussion steered towards the weight being in the boobs. :lol:

I have always been a 34D (well maybe not always, but pretty much all of my adult life). My weight could go up, or down, but my boobs stayed the same. However, when I lost weight with WWers the first time around in 1991 I went down to a 34B! I was thrilled. But unfortunately I gained back the weight, plus more and ended up a 36DD, or even a DDD! Not a happy camper.

When I lost this time I went to a 34DD, but that's as "small" as I've been able to go. I also weigh about 15 lbs more than I did when I lost weight in 1991 and I'm sure that's all in the chest.

BUT, my feeling is that bra sizing has gone to "vanity" sizing, just like clothing. But where clothing sizes have gotten smaller (for instance what used to be a size 12 is now a size 8), bra sizes have gotten larger (what used to be a 34C is now a 34D, etc.). Anyone else think this might be happening???
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

jwynne Guest

I just have to join in the 'boobie' discussion. I've worn a 46DDDD (or 46G, same thing) for years. No matter how much weight I've lost and gained over the years, the DDDD part never changes...just the band size. My insurance company refuses to pay for breast reductions "regardless of medical need", so despite the efforts of a great surgeon, I'm stuck with the dang things. I hate 'em! I wish I could share with those of you who want some!

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne
    BUT, my feeling is that bra sizing has gone to "vanity" sizing, just like clothing. But where clothing sizes have gotten smaller (for instance what used to be a size 12 is now a size 8), bra sizes have gotten larger (what used to be a 34C is now a 34D, etc.). Anyone else think this might be happening???
    This is definitely happening - when I went to school, there were never kids who were size 1 or 2 - I have a friend who's girls are size 1 - but when I was growing up I wanted to be the size they are and it was more like a 5 to 7! Vanity sizing is definitely out there!

As for the bras - maybe the same just started by someone wanting to be bigger - I have always had a weight problem (and it has never been for being over endowed) :lol: - I think I finally went into a B cup when I got pregnant for my first son! Let me tell you - it's hard to find a size 38A! I'm pretty much in a B now and the band size changes - I wouldn't be upset if it went back to an A....my husband's more of a leg man . I think I'm back down to the same size I was and now it's just called a B.....
    Pross
    Starting Over May 3, 2007 - Weight 232
    228.5 on 5/10 Loss to date 3.5
    Ultimate Goal 180
    Mini Goal: 225 by June 15

Replies

Weight Watchers is sooner or later going to have to admit that WEIGHT is less important than BODYFAT. Someone can be quite thin in appearance and have a low scale weight but be grossly unfit. Another person might weigh more and appear sturdier but have only 20% BF. I know several women my height (5 ft. 4 in.) who weigh over 150 pounds but wear a size 6/8. They are in fabulous shape. Of course getting that way and staying that way isn't easy!
    There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.

18. Default Re: I've quit giving money to WW - but I'm still going to follow Core

Luanne:

I am fascinated by the idea of bras being vanity sized-opposite direction of clothes. Although, Pross, I really WAS a size one in the mid 1970's-they were dang difficult to buy in a small midwestern town!

I know that I seem to be wearing a whole cup size bigger than I did at this weight before. At the earlier time, I was nursing and they seemed huge and firm. Now they are old and saggy, yet I am a 38 C instead of 38B. Maybe it IS just the labeling. Certainly breast enhancements and breast fixation in general has grown over the last 15 years.

Thanks for giving me something to think about! I am going to see if I can find any facts about it.
    Latebloomer

Luanne:
    I think you are on to something. I have been a 36C my entire life. When I got down to goal, I was about a 34 B. Now, unfortunately, I'm back in the 36C and buying new bras is crazy. The only place where a 36C still fits is Victoria's Secret. All of the WalMart bras and such are too small.

Clothes are also a problem. I can no longer shop in the juniors section of any store....the sizes are going smaller and smaller. The large shirts are skin tight on my size 5 sister. And I would be a plus size junior in pants now, but I'm the same size I've always been and I've always wore a size 9-11 in juniors.
    Do the clothes manufacturers think that as soon as you turn 23 you want to wear your pants above the navel? I can never find anything that fits right in misses either. There needs to be a transition from juniors to misses.
    Christena
    SW: 193
    CW: 193
    GW: 130

20. Default Re: I've quit giving money to WW - but I'm still going to follow Core

Wait Christena:

Vanity sizing is the opposite of what you are saying. If you used to be a 9-11 in juniors, vanity sizing would mean you are now a 5 or 7, NOT a plus size. The point is to get people to buy more clothes because they are happy about what size they are. It is really weird because Americans are bigger every generation, even WITHOUT weight issues. I know my local Girl Scout council, when they want to have a "fashion show" of old GS uniforms, have to get 7 year olds to model what 10 year olds wore 30-40 years ago.

Anyway, if you now need plus sizes at the same weight, I am completely confused. Do you feel that the weight is in the same places? Have you had any kids? (That redefines the body for many of us!). My brain is spinning!
    Latebloomer

Replies

What no one has mentioned here is that CUT is completely separate from SIZE. Junior clothes are all "cut" slim, no matter what the size is marked. When I hear someone announce "I'm a size 8!" I want to ask "In what?" I can wear a 12 in L.L. Beans "relaxed" jeans but I would probably need a 16 or an 18 if I wanted to wear the trendy low-cut "slim" styles : oh, dear the very thought of what I would look like!

Stores like Kohls, Sears, and WalMart stock a huge variety of women's pants and jeans in different "cuts." Eddie Bauer and Beans are quite detailed in their descriptions. Old Navy, Levis, and Lees also have a range of "cuts" for "different butts." I've had good luck with the Sonoma brand from Kohls - usually on sale.

I will say that a touch of spandex is a wonderful thing. I've always been between sizes - that little bit of extra give makes all the difference.

Oh, and a size 14 circa 1950 is now size 6!
    There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.