Thread: Wendy's Chili- 6 points!! and Core

Replies

Default Wendy's Chili- 6 points!! and Core

Hi Buddies! I posted this a few days over on the Core thread, but forgot to post it here. I discovered that my points were off due to using "kidney beans" instead of "kindny beans, canned", which make a HUGE difference!

I'm making a modified version of this in my crockpot for dinner tonight. I had to change some of the ingredients in my modified version due to what's avaible in the store, and what I had on hand. This is the original. only halved:

* Exported from MasterCook *
    Wendy's Chili

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound extra lean ground beef
    6 fluid ounces tomato paste
    29 fluid ounces tomato sauce
    14 1/2 fluid ounces kidney beans, canned -- with liquid
    14 1/2 fluid ounces pinto beans, canned -- with liquid
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup diced green chilies
    15 grams diced celery
    1 1/2 medium tomatoes -- chopped
    1 teaspoon cumin powder
    1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup water

1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the
    fat.
    2. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.
    3. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients,
    and bring to a simmer over low heat.
    4. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3 hours.

Source:
    "by JustaQT"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 292 Calories; 11g Fat (31.8%
    calories from fat); 19g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 39mg
    Cholesterol; 1617mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 2
    1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 5.95 points

.originally from Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur
    http://www.topsecretrecipes.com Nov 5, 2002
    4-6 servings

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Default Re: Wendy's Chili- 6 points!! and Core

Thanks Ottermum, I was looking for the points for this recipe. DH loves Chili and I like the low fat in this one.
    Angelhugs

started WW Oct. 7, 2004
    Dec. 8, 2004 10% and counting
    Dec. 22, 2004 25 pounds gone
    March 30, 2005 41. 2 lbs gone-- 2nd 10%

Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.
    Carol Burnett

Replies

Hey Angelhugs!!

How's that baby??

The chili is *really* good, but for some reason when you reheat it, it becomes really salty. I had to toss my bowl I reheated for lunch because it was almost inedible. Maybe some extra water might help..
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Had the chili tonight with great big green salad. Topped our chili with 2 tbls. FF chedar cheese. then baked whole wheat dinner rolls to round off the meal. It was great. DD didn't make it over for dinner because it's snowing and the roads are getting a little slick so I put some away for her. I'll tell her to add some water to prevent it from getting too salty.. But I cook with no salt tomato sauce etc. so maybe it'll be all right. Because both DH and I have heart conditions, I read all labels and if I have to buy canned anything, I look for the no salt types.
    JJ is doing very well. He sleeps between 3-5 hours at night. Saw the Dr. on Monday morning and he was 10 lbs 3 ounces so he's thriving. Big sister is settling down a little. Now if she will only use the toilet. You young mothers are very relaxed about potty training. I know, don't push them. One of my grandsons was three in Sept. and Abby will be three in March, and neither has any intention of using the potty. And both are now the "big" sibling, so parents are changing two! No thanks. When they can tell you they need to be changed, they are past old enough, IMHO! But enough already.
    did I thank you for being so nice and listening to me when I was waiting for JJ to make his appearance?? You are a true doll. And how are those beautiful children of yours??
    Angelhugs

started WW Oct. 7, 2004
    Dec. 8, 2004 10% and counting
    Dec. 22, 2004 25 pounds gone
    March 30, 2005 41. 2 lbs gone-- 2nd 10%

Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.
    Carol Burnett

Replies

oops! I didn't see this until today!

JJ is doing very well. He sleeps between 3-5 hours at night. Saw the Dr. on Monday morning and he was 10 lbs 3 ounces so he's thriving. Big sister is settling down a little. Now if she will only use the toilet. You young mothers are very relaxed about potty training. I know, don't push them. One of my grandsons was three in Sept. and Abby will be three in March, and neither has any intention of using the potty. And both are now the "big" sibling, so parents are changing two! No thanks. When they can tell you they need to be changed, they are past old enough, IMHO! But enough already.
    did I thank you for being so nice and listening to me when I was waiting for JJ to make his appearance?? You are a true doll. And how are those beautiful children of yours??
    I am so envious!! I can't get William to sleep more than 3 hours in a row at night without me, or nursing!

I know the potty training thing! :lol: my m-i-l said all the same things to me! She had all her kids trained at 9 months, but what she did was keep them there until they went!! But she had 9 of them, so who am I to critisize? Emma and Maddie were bribed with Barbies to day train at 3 1/2, but weren't night trained until 4. I have to say they still sometimes have accidents, but very rarely now. Maddie was bad for that, though. She was wetting the bed regularly for about 3 years. And she'll kill me if she finds out I posted this! :lol:

You are so sweet!! My kidlets are fine- annoying and lovely- but fine. All attitude!
    Jeannette

Replies

Bumping! I made it last night using extra lean ground turkey and all kidney beans. Really good!
    Jeannette