Thread: Green Tea?

Replies

Default Green Tea?

I keep reading everywhere (well, on the Internet...) that green tea has 'thermogenic properties and promotes fat oxidation beyond that explained by its caffeine content'. So basically, they're saying that if you're gonna drink water, might as well make it a green tea 'cause it will enable you to burn more fat.
    I'd like to know if anyone out there can confirm or deny that statement and if you have any 'green tea' stories/experience you'd like to share...
    Thanks all!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Pat
    1. Choose your objective
    2. Create a plan of attack
    3. Execute the plan

America's.Sweetheart Guest

Default Re: Green Tea?

I was going to post asking about green tea also! Thanks! I want to know whats so great about it. What's the best kind to get?

Bump

Replies

I sure hope someone can give us an answer, I'd love to know as well!
    Patience (11/1/11)
    Sean-8
    Sara-5
    Samantha-2
    314/302/180
    Next WI - 11/28/11 (goal -2)

chocopaws Guest

Smile Re: Green Tea?

As far as I know, green tea was not originally promoted in China or other Asian countries as a weight loss stimulant.

However, I believe some studies have been done recently that confirm green tea has the ability to reduce the risk of certain types of cancers as well as reduce the amount of bad cholesterol in your body. It also helps reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

I did a quick search on Google and came up with the following article:

http://chinesefood.about.com/library.../aa011400a.htm

So I guess there is the possibility that green tea extract can be helpful when losing weight (as well as preventing cavities??). However, I don't think it should be used as a replacement for water. You should probably drinking green tea in addition to your recommended daily dose of 64 fluid ounces.

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Green Tea?

Oprah had Dr. Perricone on her show a few days ago. He really emphasized drinking green tea. His first few books are about acne, then he went into wrinkles, and his latest is anti-aging and weight loss! And they're all about the same thing: what you eat determines what happens in your body. The Perricone Promise is his latest book.

On his website he has:

"Coffee (and it's not the caffeine) can result in elevated levels of cortisol and insulin, leading to weight gain. Remember, elevated insulin puts a lock on body fat. If you substitute green tea for coffee, and do nothing else differently, you will lose ten pounds in six weeks." Supposedly his philosophy is backed by rock-hard evidence from stated scientific studies in the book.

DH is looking for the book. It sold out pretty quickly here! I just tried Bigelow's Constant Comment Green Tea. I love Constant Comment, and it tastes just-the-same! Also, I just had some Young Hyassanth (or something like that...:rolleyes: ) green tea and it was delicious! Looked for it in several stores and couldn't find it. But there are millions of green teas out there now.

I'm definitely trying this. Oprah did a little jig and said, "I'm going to try it! I"m going to try it!" I'm going to substitute green tea for coffee. I know green tea has a little caffeine. I'm going to have to read the book to see if it substitutes for his recommended 8-10 cups per day of water. But I doubt it! :bcbsalute
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

I just bought some tonight to give it a try. I have been reading alot about it on all the boards and thought that I would give it a shot! Krogers was having a sale on Lipton so I thought "What the Hay!" I think the one that I got was Green Tea with Honey!
    ~~~Steph~~~
    You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Replies

Hi there, Buddies!

I did my green teas/water/exercise/and Dr. Perricone's "anti-aging" foods (counting points) and finally broke a plateau-point that I have not been able to get under for almost a year! :eek:

Lost .6 yesterday.

I LOVE green tea! :bcbsalute

America's.Sweetheart Guest

Thanks for the info! I went through my teas yesterday and found a box of green tea (a variety pack) and I had a cup of green tea with jasmine, added a packet of artificial sweetener and it was good stuff! I read somewhere that adding sweetener, milk or honey to green tea does not do anything to alter its effects on us.

I also noticed that it has caffeine so it can NOT replace water for our daily water intake (we can only subsitute those things that are do not contain caffeine). Nonetheless, I liked it and I am going to commit to drinking a cup or more a day.

The name of this book is the Perricone Promise? Sounds interesting! I will look for it.

Replies

WWCarol, thanks for the info on Perricone. :bcbsalute I put a reserve in on his Perricone Miracle at my local library (no Perricone Promise available, too new I guess).
    I saw the Oprah show too, she was pretty excited about his entire diet. What I thought interesting tho' was the woman in the audience who stood up and proclaimed the wonders of Dr. P's promise was that she'd been on it for 28 days at that time and had lost 8 lbs. Didn't Dr. P. tell O. that she'd lose 6 lbs. in one week if she followed his diet? It was something along those lines because that got her doing her little happy dance before he'd even told her about the green tea. Oh well, I'll read the Miracle and Promise and see if there's anything I can use.
    I don't care for the taste of straight green tea but have found one I like and drink everyday. It's Lipton, Green tea with orange, passionfruit and jasmine. I have to add a couple packettes of Splenda to it. The interior of the box is also a coupon to cut out for the next purchase .

Replies

I was able to thumb through "Perricone Prescription" and it had a lot of the information I wanted. Looks like I've been eating many foods (on Flex AND Core) that are "inflammatory" (trigger an insulin response) and "put a lock on fat"! :eek: For instance: corn, bananas, and popcorn! (You'd think we were monkeys with a movie theater! )

I got the Perricone Prescription Personal Journal, and it gives 28 days of completely planned menus AND a list of the anti-inflammatory foods you'll need.

I remember HATING green tea. I think I had Stash Decaf. Yuk! Just got some from Costco. Less than 5 cents a bag. And it tastes fine to me! Also got an expensive one to compare it to...Republic of Teas, I believe.

I don't remember what Dr. P. told Oprah. I wrote above that he says "10 pounds in six weeks"~ That's from his website. We don't know that the woman replaced coffee with green tea...you don't have to give up coffee, but it's recommended.

I thought it odd that the "before" pictures were without make-up and the "after" people were wearing make-up!

It could have been radiant make-up...LOL!

But like I said...I'm giving it a try! Had to take out a second mortgage on the house to get the salmon and smoked salmon for the week.

Day One matched up with my WW points well. Target, 22 + 4 APs.

DH is a real green tea drinker. Everyday before he works out, he drinks a pot of green tea. The kind we buy is actually from the Asian supermarket. While he likes to drink Chinese green tea (DH is drinking Superior Yunzhen - Yunnan Green Tea right now), I prefer to drink Japanese green tea which has some barley or brown rich added to it. You can also buy tea that has a corn flavour to it as well. We buy it in loose form and put it into our bodum tea pot. You can also buy one of those balls for tea and make a single cup.

In the summer time, I steep a couple of pots of green tea, add a little sugar as a sweetner and put it in the fridge. Voila! Iced green tea. So tasty!

I've read somewhere that White Tea is acutally the best tea to drink. Even healthier than green. I've never tried it but supposedly it's quite expensive.
    Recommit - Jan 2008
    Highest weight - 170
    170/142(ww)/137(pg)

Replies

Popcorn? Geez, I just got back from seeing The Incredibles with my family and of course, I had popcorn, lots of popcorn. I sure hope apples, oatmeal and peanut butter aren't big inflamers because I'll be as inflamed as the GoodYear blimp if they are.

Yeah, I noticed the make up on the after photos and thought, no fair, everyone looks better with make up on! I probably would've booed had I been in the audience. I was hoping O. would've piped up and asked Dr. P. about it but no.

I sure hope he's right about the green tea/weight loss connection!

Carol, have you tried any of the canned salmon? Black Top is good. Red Lobster has a salmon salad (eat it for lunch as they charge an additional 2 bucks for the same salad at dinner) that is great.

What does Dr. P. say about cheese? Wondering if he's on the same page (pun?) as Dr. South Beach with the low fat/skim cheese.

Replies

I see very little cheese, TJsMom. Grating cheese, Parmesean and Romano; and, feta (in the P. Prescription Personal Journal). That's all I have so far! Waiting to read the P. Promise...!

DH just grilled a piece of salmon that looks like it will last weeks!

I learned: don't squeeze the green tea bag! It releases a "bitter" flavor.

Just let it steep, and then remove it. :bcbsalute

I've been drinking green tea virtually the entire time I've been on WW since 8/6/04. My mom read an article about the weight loss benefits of green tea and we thought "What the heck".

I've lost about 2 lbs a week since starting WW not knowing if the tea helps at all but I'm afraid to quit it. I only drink the decaf too, no regular for me. I also found that I need to stop drinking it in the early afternoon or I don't sleep too well at night, even with the decaf.

It supposedly has a strong anti-inflammatory effect too which I definately can use. I feel great but don't know if it's d/t losing 25 lbs or the tea. I drink either the Lipton or Celestial Seasonings from the bags.

Wal-Mart has a pre-mixed gallon jug of GT sweetened with Splenda which my mom drinks but I don't like sweetened tea so I just add a little lemon juice to mine.

NYCSweetieNYC Guest

Hi,

Does Green Tea have caffeine? I have a box from Salada that says its naturally decaffeinated. Is that supposed to be right? I want to make sure I drink the right kind if it will help with my weight loss. Also, is Green Tea any points? Thanks.

Does anyone know the best brand for weight loss or are they all the same?

Thanks

Replies
    Blog Entries

I don't care for the taste of green tea, but I do drink white tea occasionally and it has all of the benefits of green tea plus some. Trader Joe's is now selling white tea at a very affordable price - around $2 or so.

Carol, the more I read the more I think I need to lay off the coffee... I just love it so much. Heh. But tastes can be changed, yes?
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

Replies

Smile Re: Green Tea?

NYCSweetie~ I think ALL green tea has the beneficial effects, caffeinated and decaffeinated. I haven't heard of "naturally decaffeinated", but I'm sure that would be fine, too! Zero points. If it's decaf, you can replace some of your waters with it~

Paris~ That's a hard one. Because caffeine is addictive... At this point I'm telling DH, "Just have your first (and best ) cup of coffee in the morning. Have a second cup if you have to...:rolleyes:...and then drink green tea instead of coffee the rest of the day!" He has agreed!

So I'm a guinea pig, and he's a partial guinea pig~

Replies

Question Re: Green Tea?

PARIS, Thanks so much about the white tea info! Does it taste like green tea?
    There's a new Trader Joe's not far from a friends house so I'll check it out when I visit her!

I've heard white tea is 'the best' from a woman at the mall selling a line of skin care. The most expensive products contained white tea...wonder if the weight loss properties would be the same (or better???)?
    Anyone have any further info on white tea?

Replies
    Blog Entries

TJ's Mom -- nope, it does NOT taste like green tea at all --- it has a very delicate flavor all its own. I am not sure what to compare it to. I have the orange blossom flavor by Republic of Tea and it is extremely delicate tasting so I drink it hot and straight. Very good stuff.

Carol -- excellent point about the coffee. I keep it to 1-2 cups a day now (mostly 1 except the days I have class, and therefore 14 hour days). At least I am on the organic stuff now, so that's gotta give me something.
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

I just have to say that I LOVE Liptons Green Tea with Honey! I put in a packet of Splenda to sweeten it a little bit and its awesome!!
    ~~~Steph~~~
    You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Replies

How about taking Green Tea capsules?? I HATE tea, I won't drink it, won't touch it all!!! But I have GT caps.
    Patience (11/1/11)
    Sean-8
    Sara-5
    Samantha-2
    314/302/180
    Next WI - 11/28/11 (goal -2)

Quote Originally Posted by patience26
    How about taking Green Tea capsules?? I HATE tea, I won't drink it, won't touch it all!!! But I have GT caps.
    I've been drinking Celestial Seasonings Perfectly Pear White Tea. It's very nice and with a mild, fruit taste. So if you're not into the flavour of green give this one a try.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/r...benefitswt.php Here's some additional information about white tea from Celestial Seasonings.
    Recommit - Jan 2008
    Highest weight - 170
    170/142(ww)/137(pg)

Weight2go Guest

How much green tea a day is recommended? Is one cup a day suficient for weight loss purposes.?

Replies

Weight2Go~ I have NO idea...

At the most I drink 3-4 cups in a day~

25. Default Re: Green Tea?

I started drinking decaf green tea about a year ago because I kept reading about all the health benefits. I haven't changed my eating habits one bit but I'm continuing to lose weight. I never thought about it having anything to do with the green tea. Maybe? I'm doing a happy dance!!