Thread: A Contradiction?

Replies

Default A Contradiction?

I am doing Core and have been using the new Turnaround Program Cookbook A LOT! All of the recipes have a checkmark on their pages, and reading the first page of the cookbook it sounds as if all the recipes in the book are Core, with points listed for those doing Flex. Tonight for dinner I made the Shrimp and Soba in Fragrant Broth for dinner. I started thinking about the recipe and looked up soba noodles in the CFC. In it, soba noodles are not marked as core foods.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Replies

Default Re: A Contradiction?

My CFC is out in the car so I can't look it up but is soba possibly listed under buckwheat noodles?

Replies

Thumbs up Re: A Contradiction?

P. 250, "Eden Selected: Soba, 100% buckwheat, 2 oz. = 3 points", checkmarked CORE.

The problem with the Complete Food Companion, in my opinion, is that you have to search the: alphabetical general Core food list, the alphabetical general listing of foods-Flex plan and Core plan, AND foods list by brand name-Flex plan and Core plan, in order to be CERTAIN something is Core or not.

The foods are not always listed where you would expect to find them. :bcbsalute
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

W_W_SamiJo Guest

Based on "

Soba noodles are native Japanese noodles made of buckwheat flour (soba-ko) and wheat flour (komugi-ko). They are roughly as thick as spaghetti, and prepared in various hot and cold dishes. The most basic soba dish is zaru soba in which boiled, cold soba noodles are eaten with a soya based dipping sauce (tsuyu). "

I would say they aren't because they are made and no soba (but it is all dishes) nor is buckwheat flour listed as Core. Maybe the check is just a typo or do they not use much in the recipe where per serving the points would not have to be added?

Replies

Good questions, but if the soba noodles are listed as Core in the CFC, until we officially hear otherwise, they are Core. And the ones Carol posted are 100% buckwheat, not a blend of flours.

There is no portion limit on Core foods other than being reasonable and eating only until satisfied, except for those foods limited to once per day such as whole wheat pasta. This is not written, but I personally would consider using soba noodles only once per day, the same as whole wheat pasta.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    http://www.realfoodliving.com
    In remission from Acute Leukemia
    Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!
    218/in-between/125

W_W_SamiJo Guest

FYI in E-tools it is not marked as a core food.

search results
    Search Details: Eden Selected: Soba, 100%
    1-1 of 1
    POINTS valuesEden Selected 100% Buckwheat Soba Noodles, 2 oz31-1 of 1Key: Indicates Core Food

Replies

SJ,

This is the same scenario as with other Core / non-Core questions. If there is a typo, WW will eventually rectify it. Until then, if soba noodles are listed in the CFC, then they are Core in my book.

Also, I was told E-Tools takes weeks to update, so I would not consider that the definitive source of whether something is Core or not.

I would say to use common sense! Buckwheat noodles are a good, healthy, whole-grain food and like whole wheat pasta, make a healthy addition to any diet. However, to be considered Core, I would personally limit 100% buckwheat soba noodles to once per day, the same as whole wheat noodles.

Also FYI on the same page in the CFC: Eden Kamut noodles and Udon noodles are also Core!
    Last edited by Momma25; 10-09-2004 at 11:47 AM.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

W_W_SamiJo Guest

This is where I would disagree nad agree with you.

On the disagreement part ---- Buckwheat is a good whole grain but the noodles are processed and made from flour. Flour is not core --- correct?

On the agreement part --- But they let you use whole wheat pasta (at least for 1 meal) which is made mostly in part with some whole grains and whole wehat flour.

W/W hasn't really thought this out I am afraid.

Do you have the Food Companion and can double check? Not calling Carole a liar but I don't have one so I can't double check it myself. I just want to be sure.

Replies

SamiJo,

YES, I do have a CFC. If you look in my post above, I referenced what was on the same page marked as Core ; Eden Kamut spaghetti and spirals, Udon noodles and Eden Soba noodles. ALL are Core. The information is on page 250.

No flour is Core, BUT, whole-grain pasta is Core. Whole wheat pasta is Core, but whole wheat flour is not. However, as I said, ww pasta is restricted to once per day and I would do the same with the 100% buckwheat (soba) noodles.

And, just to be clear, there are PLENTY of processed foods that are Core. Just saying that noodles are processed does not make them not Core.

Hope that helps.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

W_W_SamiJo Guest

Thank your I guess I misread what you originally posted. Thank you again. However I don't have a Food Companion and only E-tools so I will consider them not core because they are not marked for what I have.

Replies

Mindi~ Even though the CFC has some corrections that have been/will need to be made, I would be pretty sure that each recipe in the TurnAround Cookbook is Core! There is a lot less information in the cookbook (than the CFC) and it would be easier to edit~

You almost have to read the CFC from cover-to-cover to see where the different foods are listed! :bcbsalute

Replies

Thanks for the input everyone. I am trying really hard to do this Core thing right...one of the reasons I use the Turnaround cookbook so much. When I looked up soba noodles in my CFC, I looked them up in the general alphabetical listing. On page 49 it says "Soba noodles with sauce, 1cup=9pts." YOWZA! No way do I want to have to count those points!!!!! I'm going to ask my leader at WI tomorrow and see what she says.

What can I say....I like things black and white...no gray areas wanted in dealing with my WW issues! :-)

Mindi

Replies

Hey Mindi,

If you have the Complete Food Companion (you said you did), then it IS in black and white - no grey. On page 250, it says Soba noodles ARE Core. I personally would use them as Core 'cuz it's right there in black and white, checked as Core.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

Replies

Exclamation Re: A Contradiction?

Mindi~

I'm going to ask my leader at WI tomorrow and see what she says.
    You're going to ask your leader if a Core recipe in the TurnAround cookbook (with ALL Core recipes) is Core?! :eek:

Gee, I hope she says, "Yes~"

Replies

On p. 250 of the CFC, it says that EDEN sobas are core. I'm not using those. The ones I bought are a Japanese brand. They contain wheat flour (main ingredient), buckwheat flour, yam and salt. The fact what wheat flour (not whole wheat, btw), and the fact that one serving is 410 calories is what made me think!

As for my leader saying soba noodles are core just because they are in the core book....we know leaders are not always right AND sometimes the weightwatchers materials are later corrected.

Perhaps I'm getting my nose out of joint. I asked the question because I want to do this right this time. I just wanted to make sure I was reading my materials correctly.

Replies

Hey Mindi,

If you wanted to be 100% sure the recipe was Core, you could use whole wheat noodles instead of the soba noodles.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

Replies

That's a good suggestion. I'm going to write that in the cookbook as an option.

Replies

Oh, I see your point now, Mindi!... :bcbsalute

Replies

I asked my substitute meeting leader today about this question, and she also thought it was odd. She's going to e-mail someone at WW and get back to me. I'll be waiting to find out!

this is the problem that i tend to get into because i can be nit picky--it says core--but i read the labels and if i see plain wheat flour i know thats not core...so---i looked for 100% buckwheat noodles--i havent found them yet, but i know that when i do i will make a lovely tofu, soba and chicken soup---

and yes, any noodle, i would limit to one serving a day...

now the question is how do we get cold noodles in peanut sauce to be core!
    the real world is bizarre enough for me...blue oyster cult

best of luck to slow losers, fast losers, we are all losers--and this is the only place where thats ok!