Thread: Calzone ? too

Stac30781 Guest

Default Calzone ? too

Anyone know if the Calzone listed on DWLZ includes both mozerella cheese and riccota?

Thanks...

Replies

Default Re: Calzone ? too

Stacey,

Can you provide the link so we can see what you're referring to?
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    http://www.realfoodliving.com
    In remission from Acute Leukemia
    Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!
    218/in-between/125

Stac30781 Guest

Sorry- I thought everyone knew of this website since it's mentioned so frequently...
    http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfoTOC.html

And here's the specific Italian list...
    http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/italian.html

Any answer would be appreciated...

Replies

HI Stacey, I am familiar with the site, but not the particular item you were asking about and it is just easier to have the link than for someone to go searching the database. There are a LOT of entries there! Also, I don't use this site often.

OK, checked it out and this list appears to be the generic listing and not a particular restaturant or brand. It is assumed that the calzone (generic) includes what calzones come with (filling including cheese) since it not notated otherwise. This is just my humble opinion, perhaps someone knows more specifically.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

W_W_SamiJo Guest

It should be both since most places use both in their calzones. It is a normal 'generic' listing.

Weigh the calzone. In NYC the average calzone is about 16-17 ounces and packs a 35 point wallop.
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

Stac30781 Guest

Default Re: Calzone ? too (Italian dish suggestions?!)

I was going to do the measuring with inches, but I'm finding that it's better to not have the calzone at all....

Guess I'm going to have to forgo the Italian ordering in night since aside from pasta...the only other option is pizza...

Anyone have any better suggestions?

judyo53 Guest

Pizza is my favorite food & although I've only had it once while on Core I'll always keep it in my life. A plain or veggie pizza on a thin crust is much better point wise than a calzone & feel satisfied. The only problem is the way different places cut their slices & the crust thickness makes it difficult to point correctly, but you should be able to have 3-4 pieces (the small squares, not the pie cut slices) plus a salad & still not come to the points in a calzone.

Stac30781 Guest

We always order our pizza from the same place and it's just like any normal pizza place. Not thin crust...just a normal pie....how many points would just a plain piece of pizza be though? I find it so confusing when it comes to that part and counting points!

I have actually taken the slice from our local places (I did it three times) and brought it home to take apart.

Here are the results from the typical NYC pizza place:
    Crust weight: 4 oz = 8 points
    Cheese weight: 2, 2 1/2, 3 ounces, so 6 to 9 points for the mozzarella
    Oil: AT LEAST 1 tsp sometimes more, drips off. (2 points)
    I never count the sauce -- there's not enough to worry about.

This is a regular slice from a 21" (standard size) round pie in NYC. Not Thin, not deep dish, just a slice. They work out to any where from 15 points a slice to 20... UNBELIEVABLE.
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

I used to onlly eat regular pizza, but I have switched to thin crust since the point values are so much better and now I actually prefer it and eat it more often.

Pizza hut thin crust cheese only--1 sl=4 points
    Dominos thin crust cheese only--1 sl=3points

***From a medium pizza.
    Christena
    SW: 193
    CW: 193
    GW: 130

Stac30781 Guest

This is a regular slice from a 21" (standard size) round pie in NYC. Not Thin, not deep dish, just a slice. They work out to any where from 15 points a slice to 20... UNBELIEVABLE.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah...but you can't beat NYC pizza. I'm from Jersey and we'll go to Brooklyn to get a slice since my moms from there and grew up there and I was born there and all.

So is it impossible to have a regular slice of pizza as the generic listing says for 3-5 points????

judyo53 Guest

This link should take you to a general way to tell the calories in a piece of cheese pizza:

http://www.calorie-count.com/calorie...d=21049&size=1

Stac30781 Guest

Oh how perfect...thank you!!!!

That link takes me to a 63 gram slice -- or one that is just about 2 ounces, from a 12" diameter pie. You can't get a pie in NYC for that size or weight. Trust me on this. Take a ruler and look at the 12 inches. THat is the center line drawn on the pie.

A 21 inch pizza (from Lenny's in Brooklyn on 86th STreet and 20th avenue, for example, or from Ray's, or Da Vinci on 18th avenue) is THAT MUCH BIGGER so the points are that many more.

However, thanks for the link. It's interesting to see what the rest of the world thinks is a "normal" pizza. heh heh ;-) I guess everything in nyc, including the 7 oz bagels are on steroids. Bagels in NY? 9-11 points. UNBUTTERED, unschmeared.

But let's face it. Pizza is the food of the gods... ;-)

Replies

What I do is make my own pizza. Less Points and very delicious!

I use either my homemade whole-grain crust, or for a quick pizza, I'll use a whole wheat pita bread bought at the store. Top with favorite toppings and voila'! PIZZA!!
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

Stac30781 Guest

Rouenmom- how many points do you allot for a slice of pizza..."brooklyn style" as we call it in my house....??? 15 points per slice???

Looks like Italian is totally out for me then since the only other thing I'll eat is baked ziti.

I'd make my own but the point of ordering in...is to not feel like an outcast and have to cook my own. And can't cook my own when we're eating out, if you know what I mean.

BTW- have had Rays and love it!!!

Yes, exactly 15 points... and I have them cut it in two, so I get the benefit (and psychological satisfaction) of two "lift offs." You know, that fabulous feel of the first bite of the point! I always have a LARGE salad with it, too, to prolong the ecstacy of the slice -- and to make me feel full... On the rare occasion that I have it w/ pepperoni, I add 3 points... just to be on the safe side.

judyo53 Guest

That link was only given so Stacey could weigh her piece(s) & at least get an idea of how to point it. In Chicago we have all sorts of different pizzas & presentations. Most of the restaurants here cut the pizza into small squares which I hate since I love the crust edge & with the square cuts there are many pieces with no crust (just underneath). I don't know who came up with that idea as when most people think of pizza it's the pie shaped wedges.