Thread: Core Plan Help!!

1. Default Core Plan Help!!

I know we're allowed to have either whole wheat pasta OR wild rice OR brown rice, etc. one a day....but how much are we allowed to have? Is it one-serving per WW standards or just as much as we want?

Parham91x2 Guest

Default Re: Core Plan Help!!

A serving of what "satisfies" you is how I believe it is suppose to be. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Start with a smaller size amount and then add more if you need it. Having a large amount on my plate makes it harder for me to stop eating when I'm full.

Chris

Kelly_S Guest

Parham91x2 is correct. It is until you are satisified. Now that maybe 1 cup or it maybe be more. Start with a basic servign and then add if you need to.

4. Default Re: Core Plan Help!!

I can already tell this is going to be an issue for me...I'd better stick with measured out cereal or something!! Thank you

Replies

Just my 2 cents---First is 'wild rice' the same as brown rice? Maybe, I'm not sure. Secondly, the serving size is the one that makes you feel satisfied, but not overfull. That may take a little practice because some of us are not used to measuring satiety. I have followed the plan for 1 week and feel like it is the first time in many years that I have eaten like a "normal" person! By the way, my WI this morning resulted in a 1 pound loss. I was thrilled and would have settled for 1/2 pound because it was such a great week. I am not a multi pound loser anyway. I am only 5'1" and 131 pounds, so I don't really need too many calories--hence the slower weight loss. Linda

Kelly_S Guest

What is wild rice? Wild rice is an annual aquatic grass, which produces an edible seed. It grows in the shallows of lakes and rivers throughout eastern and north central North America. Native North Americans have harvested and eaten wild rice for centuries. Since they first presented wild rice to the early North American explorers and fur traders, this unusual cereal grain (the only one native to North America) has been prized for its distinctive natural flavor and texture. Natural stands of wild rice grow in the clear lakes of northern Manitoba. Preserved wild rice grains have been found at North American archeological sites. These findings seem to indicate that wild rice has been an important North American native food for at least 1,000 years.

What is brown rice? is the least processed form of rice. It has the outer hull removed, but still retains the bran layers that give it that characteristic tan color and nut-like flavor. The outer layer of the bran gives this rice a chewier texture than white rice.

Not the same thing!

Replies

Thanks, Kelly. I didn't mean for you to go through all that trouble to look it up on Google. I didn't literally mean, "What is wild rice?". I meant that because it is not in the WW book as a core food, can we consider it the same as brown rice? I'm guessing you say, "Yes, we can!" Thanks, Linda

Parham91x2 Guest

Ooh I don't think she "googled" it. I bet she ran that down from memory!

Chris

judyo53 Guest

I believe Kelly is taking nutrion classes & although I don't think she took that off her head (let me know if I'm wrong, Kelly), she probably has lots of resources at her fingertips.

I'm too tired to start leafing through my Core books but I thought I saw wild rice in one, or one section of one of the books, with a check mark in front of it. IOW, it is my opinion that wild rice is considered a grain & not the same as brown rice, so doesn't have to be included in that potato, brown rice OR whole wheat pasta group & can be eaten in addition to those.

So, Lenos, I'm not sure if your "Yes we can" means that it's the same as brown rice or that it's a non-count Core grain. If you already figured it out just skip this answer. Or, wait, maybe you better clue me in since I think I just confused myself!

I queried the WW Points Calculator (I'm and online User) and Wild Rice is listed as a Core food. It is 3 points per cup. Hope that Helps!

I'm sorry, it IS listed as a core food? Then why is it 3 points per cup? Just confused...wondering if maybe you meant ISN"T because you put the points there. Or maybe you are talking to the flex people.

If wild rice is on core (I LOVE it) then I may have to give core a try.
    Christena
    SW: 193
    CW: 193
    GW: 130

Kelly_S Guest

I actually had done it the day before for someone in my cooking chat room so I had it handy. Just strange that it was asked again. I was showing that Wild Rice is really just a grass and not really rice. LOL!

BTW did you know that 'corn' is really grass?

judyo53 Guest

Christena,

The 2 plans do start getting people confused when giving a dual answer. Wild rice is check marked as a Core food but still has points next to it in the CFC since that book is for both Core & Flex users.

And I think my answer is correct that it is Core & is not really rice, as Kelly
    has stated, so can be treated like a grain, which does not have a 1 meal a day limit.
    Last edited by judyo53; 09-03-2004 at 01:21 AM.

Sorry to confuse - As Judy said wild rice IS CORE but if you were on Flex it would be 3 points.

Replies

Is there an online copy of this coreplan?

Replies

(Momma25) Momma to five
    http://www.realfoodliving.com
    In remission from Acute Leukemia
    Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!
    218/in-between/125