Thread: Is FF cheese still gross?

Default Is FF cheese still gross?

I haven't had it for about 8 years. I'm willing to try it for Core, BUT, only if you guys tell me it's gotten better. And only if it melts now. Otherwise I'll just pay the point for my beloved 2%.
    360/260.2/160

Replies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is FF cheese still gross?

No, it has not gotten better IMO. Personally, I think fat-free cheese is something Satan will make me eat in that dark, firey place should I end up there. YMMV.

That being said, Cabot Light 75% is one point per ounce and is very good. It's a mild cheddar that can be used on just about anything and it melts. The Kraft 2% stuff GMV for best reduced-fat cheese.
    Last edited by Paris Madeleine; 08-24-2004 at 09:40 PM. Reason: to edit makes my spelling good
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

Karra Guest

In contrast to what Paris said, I actually use fat free cheese on a regular basis and I don't think its that bad. I put it in sandwiches and eat it with crackers, and when put in the microwave or on hot toast, it melts.

The brand I use is Lucrene..I think that's the name of it. I bought it at Dominick's...(that's a food store that's around here..I don't know if you have that where you are). I guess its up to the person's tastes! I was up for anything that would give me less points but not alter my tastes too much and I've found this to be a solution.

Good luck!

In a word, YES!
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

I use Lifetime brand mozzarella and cheddar and they are both great. They melt nicely and taste great. I get mine at Ralphs, it comes shredded.

Replies

I think that Borden's FF American slices are really good...and they're something like 30% calcium, too! :bcbsalute
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Good point wrt calcium, Katie. I saw that the fat-free Kraft cheeses do not contain enough calcium to count as a milk. Buyer Beware. :bcbsalute
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

Replies
    Blog Entries

Hi I bought a FF Pepper Jack at Trader Joes and i think it's pretty good. I've melted it over my roasted veggies with great results. It has a Trader Joes label so It must be their brand. It's a block cheese. I'm a snob when it comes to ff products and was pleasantly surprised when I found it and liked it.:bcbsalute
    Kathy

Over goal and not happy

Kelly_S Guest

Fatfree cheese isn't cheese...it is chemicals. For that reason and some of the other 'fatfree' stuff you have to live on with Core makes it totally unliveable (not to mention unaffordable) for me to do.

Replies

I have not tried fat free cheese as of yet, I do buy naturally slender cheese in the deli by land o lakes. I like it alot.
    Donna

11. Default Re: Is FF cheese still gross?

i debated about getting ff cheese but decided to try some soy cheese instead. it's 0 on core, also. i haven't tasted it yet, but will let you know what i think when i do.

have any of you tried the soy cheeses?

I've been leery of soy cheese, too.
    Kelly--I completely agree with you and that's been the biggest reason I've been thinking of just using the points for higher fat cheese. I'm not really against frankenfoods (though I know I should be) but the FF cheese ingredient list can be downright scary.
    Then again some good recommendations have been made. Hmmm. Will have to think on this.
    360/260.2/160

Kelly_S Guest

Rouge,

I will admit it. I am a cheese snob! If it ain't full fat it isn't cheese. I find you get more taste with a less of a quantity than the reduced fat and especially fat free.

I do use some fat-free products but for the most part they do not satisify me at all. I do fat free cream cheese and sour cream (I tend to strain my fat-free sour cream to make it thicker like regular sour cream) and sometimes an occasional fat-free dressing or Miracle Whip but for the most part I use regular products.

Replies

Fat free cheese is not chemicals - it is cheese that is made with skim milk. If its the chemical kind it has to be labeled Cheese Food. There is also soy cheese that is pretty good. Kroger has a good fat free cheese under their own label.
    Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

Kelly_S Guest

I know really it is not chemicals however in my NOT SO FREAKING HUMBLE OPINION it is as bad as eating chemicals. Give me the real stuff...tastes better, melts better, and doesn't look like plastic. Sorry I am a cheese snob!

Brucifer Guest

I've been eating the FF Cheddar and FF Mozzerella (Both acme store brand) and the Kraft FF singles on my FF Hot Dogs. I've never had any difficulty melting either of them and it really satisfys my urges.

However I may start intoducing some of the Full fat cheese back into my diet to facilitate some additional loss. It's been pointed out to me that I could have some problems and possibly stall due to lack of point usage.

Thumbs down Re: Is FF cheese still gross?

I don't really care for ff cheese, I prefer reduced fat cheese. I refuse to compromise taste. Sure, I'd love to have the full fat kind, but reduced fat is perfectly acceptable to me.

Replies

Here's my 2 cents worth... I decided to give the FF cheese a try this week (usually eat the LF). I could not tell the difference in taste and it melted just fine.

I bought the Kraft this week, only because that's all my little neighborhood store had. It does not have necessary calcium requirement and as I count on that to get in my milk, I will make sure to get Borden next time.
    Diane

237 - 1/3/6
    198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

The only FF cheeses I actually like are FF cottage cheese, and FF Riccotta (sp) The rest I weigh out and count points for.

A few uses for FF slices....replacement space shuttle tiles, bicycle inner tube patches, can be substitued in some instances for double-sided tape, emergency post-it notes....so it really is a useful household item!:angel

FrugalWitch

GirlFriday Guest

I tried the FF cheese slices (and shreds) for a long time. I have come to the personal conclusion that I'd rather use up a couple more points! Now, maybe when I get close to goal and am a bit low on points, I may change my mind, but I'm thinking I'd rather go without!

I used to make my teen daughter breakfast sandwiches before she left for school. The last time she had one, I had an english muffin, scrambled egg beaters, FF cheese slice and a meatless sausage patty. As I said - that was the LAST time she'd eat one! LOL Think I pushed the envelope a bit too far!

MaryB

Well, we all have different food tastes, that's for sure..... Why not just try it for yourself?!?! I have been eating fat free Kraft slices and shreds for over 3 years now. It melts and is tasty to ME on sandwiches AND other things. But, apples & oranges, Buddies, you aren't going to like everything you try, but at least TRY it for yourself!!

Replies

FYI, the fat-free Kraft cheese slices are listed as "process cheese" as opposed to "natural cheese" on Kraft's own website.

I get their 2% cheese slices but try to limit my consumption b/* they're so highly processed with chemicals it's disturbing.

I try to stick with reduced-fat or fat-free (i.e. made entirely or partly from skim milk) "block" or shredded cheese, where possible. It's those pesky individually-wrapped ones that tend to be so highly processed.

As for melting, ff mozzarella never did it for me. Melts like rubber. Not sure about FF other cheeses because the only FF others I buy are ricotta and cottage cheese - the others are all reduced-fat, and they seem to melt just fine.

Kelly_S Guest

You know I didn't want to argue with someone about this but:

How is cheese made:

Processed:

Processed cheese is made from cheese with other ingredients to give the
    slices their characteristic texture. The cheese is chopped into very fine
    pieces and then water and milk ingredients are added. The mixture is
    heated to melt the cheese and additional ingredients are added. If
    you look at the ingredient declaration on the cheese slice package,
    you'll see that these might include:
    - sodium citrate to emulsify the oil and water components and to solubilize
    the protein in the processed cheese
    - gelatin to set/firm the slices
    - sodium phosphate, also an emulsifier or sequestrant
    - sodium alginate, a gum to thicken and gel the mixture in the presence of
    a calcium salt (so usually see calcium citrate or other calcium salt in
    the ingredient declaration too)
    - flavours and colours
    - often a mold inhibitor is also used (sorbic acid, potassium sorbate)

Natural:

Cheese is a foodstuff made from the curdled milk of various animals, most frequently cows, but often goats, sheep, and water buffalo. Rennet is often used to induce milk to curdle, although some cheeses are curdled with acids like vinegar or lemon juice, or with extracts of various species of Cynara (sometimes called vegetable rennet). Rennet is an enzyme obtained traditionally from the stomach lining of bovine calves, but more frequently nowadays, a microbiological (laboratory produced) substitute is used. Bacteria are added to cheese to reduce the pH, alter texture, and develop flavor, and some cheeses also have molds, either on the outer skin or throughout. The natural color of cheeses range from off-white to yellow. In some parts of the world, such as Wisconsin USA, the milk fat is low in beta-carotene, making the cheese a paler yellow than normal. In this case it is common to add annatto plant dye as a coloring agent.

Some cheeses are made with the addition of herbs and spices. In some locations as a response to the loss of diversity in mass-produced cheeses, a cottage industry has grown up around home cheesemaking.

Different styles and flavors of cheese are the result of using different species of bacteria and molds, different levels of milk fat, variations in length of aging and differing processing treatments (cheddaring, pulling, brining, mold wash). Other factors include milk animal diet and the addition of herbs and spices to some cheeses.

Some controversy exists over the safety of cheese made by traditional methods using unpasteurized milk and over how pasteurization affects flavor.

So I guess I was more correct in saying 'chemicals' than not! LOL!