Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Other Ancient WW Members only...

Default For Other Ancient WW Members only...

Anyone remember the old Weight Watchers "Snickers bar" recipe made with chocolate alba, peanut butter, grapenuts, banana and I think raisins? You mixed it, froze it and ate it frozen.

Don't know why, but I started thinking of it the other day when I was eating a Chocolate Peanut Butter Balance Bar. It was good, and the protein stayed with me, but I remember thinking that those old bars were much better and kept me filled up longer.

Anyone remember the recipe? I'd like to try it again. It's an OLD recipe.

Default Re: For Other Ancient WW Members only...

Is this what you are looking for?

Ingredients:

1 package Diet Swiss Miss Cocoa
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1 banana
    1/4 cup Grape Nuts cereal

Instructions:
    Put all ingredients in a mixer. After mixing up, then divide into 2 servings by putting half of the mixture on one piece of aluminum foil then folding edges to keep fresh. Do the same thing with the other bar. Now put both in freezer and have for a snack anytime.
    Yield
    2 servings
    2 POINTS per serving
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!

Here are all my Alba recipes. Can't remember if all of them are good but I love the pineapple one and the PB ones.

Chocolate Pineapple Treats

1 package chocolate Alba '77 shake
    1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple in juice

Combine Alba and pineapple in a small bowl. Stir until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Freeze until firm. 3 points for all. Counts as 1 milk and 2 fruit servings. Can also use can of pineapple to reduce points to 2.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

W. W. Breakfast Bar
    1 tablespoon chunky peanut butter
    1 package chocolate Alba '77 shake
    2 tablespoons hot water
    3/4 ounce Rice Krispies, oatmeal or Grape Nuts
    2 tablespoons raisins
    Mix: peanut butter, chocolate Alba '77 and hot water together until creamy. Add: Rice Krispies and raisins, mix together. Shape into a bar. Freeze. 5 points

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cup

1 package Alba chocolate dairy shake mix
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    3 tablespoons water
    1. Stir together in small margarine container.
    2. Freeze until almost frozen. Makes 1 serving. 3 points

Alba Cookie

1 package chocolate Alba (1pt)
    3 tbs dry oatmeal (1pt)
    1 tbs peanut butter (2pt)
    2 tbs raisins (1pt)

Mix all ingredients with just enough water to let it spread into a cookie shape. Bake at 350, about 10 minutes, until browned.

Anytime Cake

1/2 Med. banana; mashed
    1 pk Chocolate or double fudge-Alba 77
    1 tb Flour
    1 pk Sugar twin (not Equal or-Sweet n'low)
    ds Molly McButter or other butter flavoring
    1 ts Baking powder
    1/2 ts Baking soda
    1/2 ts Vanilla
    2 dr Rum, almond, or coconut ext.

Mix ingredients well. Bake in 4" x 4" pan coated with non-stick spray at 350 deg. for 15 min.
    Raisinettes - 2 Points

2 tablespoons raisins
    1. Mix about 2 tablespoons water into the Alba powder (so its pasty not runny).
    2. Mix in the raisins.
    3. Spoon clusters onto cookie sheet (covered with waxed paper) and put them in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
    Check them for hardened consistency.

Alba Brownies - 3 or 4 Points

1/2 cup Egg Beaters 99% egg substitute -- * see note
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 packets sugar substitute
    1. Combine all ingredients in a blender container and blend until well mixed.
    2. Spray 2 small pans (6"X3 1/2") with a nonstick cooking spray.
    3. Pour in batter. Bake at 350 degrees F 20 minutes or until done. Divide evenly for 2 servings.
    Recipe Note: Can omit 1 egg and use 1 tablespoon peanut butter. Can substitute cereal in place of flour.
    This will change nutritional information.
    * Original recipe called for a real egg.
    Serving size (1/2 recipe)
    Per MC nutritional analysis:
    Per serving: 187.4 Calories, 1g Fat, 4.2g Fiber
    Weight Watcher Points: 3
    With regular egg:
    Per serving: 225.8 Calories, 5.8g Fat, 2.5g Fiber
    Weight Watcher Points: 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Meringue Cookies

2 Egg whites
    3 pk Sweet and low
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1/4 * Alba chocolate dry skim milk

Beat whites stiff gradually adding sweetener and vanilla. Carefully fold in ( dry ) milk. Drop by teaspoonful onto nonstick baking sheet. Bake 275 for 25 minutes or crisp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alba Brownies
    1 serving package chocolate Alba mix
    3 teaspoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    6 teaspoons boiled water or coffee
    1 package artificial sweetener
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Spray a small, microwave-safe bowl with cooking oil spray and pour in mixture. Microwave 45 seconds or bake in a regular oven for 7 minutes.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Oh, and I prefer the term "experienced" rather than ancient.
    Joanne

Replies

The Alba Cookie recipe is the one I remember, except I think my recipe had 5 ingredients. I can't remember the 5th one though. I loved those things!! Sweet, chewy, took a long time to eat. Yum!

Replies

I have been thinking a lot about the older recipes also ... I LOVED the recipe that you mentioned ... the one I remember was the chocolate Alba, 2 Tbs. raisins, 1 TBS. peanut butter and I think it was one-third of a cup of uncooked oats, plus a little water. You mixed it all up ... put it on a piece of waxed paper ... rolled it into a "log" and then put it in the refrigerator. Of course it never made it into the refrigerator!
    Another recipe I loved was the pineapple "cheesecake" recipe. I think it was one third cup powdered milk, one envelope of unflavored gelatin, two-thirds cup of cottage cheese, and two slices pineapple in its own juice, artificial sweetener to taste. You softened the gelatin (probably in one fourth cup water) ... mixed it with the other ingredients. I forget if I used a mixer or not. Anyway then you poured it into a white pyrex bowl and waited until it "set".
    Then there was the recipe where you placed wine vinegar in the bottom of a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl. Added some chopped onions and Salad Herbs (comes all mixed ... rosemary, thyme, etc.) then added a drained can of tuna (!!), mixed well ... and then added a chopped apple. Mixed well and waited a little while for the flavors to blend ... then I topped it with home made croutons made from one slice of white bread sprinkled with garlic powder and a little oil or margarine when we were allowed. Then I toasted this bread in a skillet and then added it to my tuna mixture. I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed my food as much as I did back then.That was when I got to my goal.
    I think I still have all my cookbooks from back then packed away in the garage ... just waiting for me to start doing ebay. Or maybe I will just get them out.
    Do you remember when we had "tasting parties" at our meetings? Everyone brought in their favorite recipes and we shared them right there at the meetings. Oh yummmmmy! This was in the Yorktown, VA area, back in the very early 70's.
    Tothepoint...

Thank you all! Oh, I can't wait to try these recipes...I love the older ones; they were just basic and filling, with no frills.

Yes, I too prefer the word "experienced"...we are NOT ancient! A double smack in the head to me for calling us brainy, experienced, lovers of life ancient...ancient NOT!!!!

tothepoint, yes I do remember tasting parties! They were great fun, and a wonderful icebreaker. I wish we could do that at the meetings we attend now. It gave an informal, party atmosphere to the group. Recipe swapping was so common then. Now it seems it's hardly done at all.

I wouldn't start selling your old books on e-bay just yet! In fact I just ordered my favorite WW cookbook of all time used from amazon.com, cause I threw out my old one by mistake. It's called WW Favorites and was a compilation of recipes submitted by readers in the 80's. I loved that cookbook.

The reason I say to hang onto them is because it seems with the program WW will unveil on Sunday, we'll be pretty much going back to basics and I'll bet those old, simple, wonderful recipes will come in handy.

If what I'm reading is correct, and there will be a core list of simple, basic foods to choose from, these recipes will be all the more valuable.

Thanks again everyone for these great recipes. I'm printing the thread right now!

Now I wasn't in WW back then but they sound good and funny thing, I've been looking for Alba a few weeks now. I wanted to compare $$ etc. with WW chocolate smoothie.
    lose 7.6 by Oct 2019

Cheryl, I get my Alba at Kroger's here in Texas. I'm pretty sure they have Kroger's in Ohio. If they don't have it, you should ask them to order it.
    Here Alba is $2.99 a box for 8 pkgs where the Smoothie mix at my meetings is $7.50 for 7 pkgs. I'll stick with Alba, thank-you-very-much!
    Joanne

plcm...just noticed the chocolate pineapple freeze!

I used to LOVE that...haven't eaten that in years! Thanks again for finding the time to post these recipes; it's really appreciated!

...I noticed today on the recipe threads that someone posted the recipe for homemade Alba (I think it's under beverages)...this is a good thing because I can't find it anywhere out here in CA.

If you go into "Beverages" (hope that's right) under the recipe section, someone posted clones of Alba to make at home.

...sorry, it's under "Blender Innovations."

Yes I remember the Alba recipe too. It was good except for the raisin part. We had food samples at WW in the early 90's and the leader would set the recipe right beside the food.

What in the world is Alba?
    140/132/115 5'1"
    started 6/23/06

measurements as of 9/14/06 (start/current):
    waist 34/32 belly 36/35
    hips 39/37.5 thigh 24.5/23.5
    total inches lost: 5.5

Replies

Alba is a low calorie shake mix. About 60 calories and equivalent to 1 serving of milk. Put it in the blender with a few ice cubes and water and it comes out thick and good. Add fruit and have a smoothie.
    Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

Replies

The recipe is called "Chocolate-Peanut Butter Bar" from WW Favorite Recipes. My friend and I called it "PMS bar" back then! Now, I guess it would be "Power Surge Bar"...!

2 TBS. black coffee or water (hot)
    1 TBS. chunky peanut butter
    1 packet (1 serving) reduced-calorie chocolate dairy drink mix
    3/4 oz. uncooked old-fashioned oats
    2 TBS. dark raisins

Using a fork, in small mixing bowl combine coffee (or water) and peanut butter, mixing until peanut butter is softened; add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly (mixture will be stiff and sticky). Transfer mixture to sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap and using hand, press mixture together and shape into a log about 5" long and 1 1/2" wide. Tightly wrap log in the paper and freeze overnight.

Makes 1 serving.

Calories:302; fat:11g.; (fiber not listed in these old recipes :rolleyes: )

I LOVE my old WW's cookbooks...Have "Favorites" and "Homestyle Favorites" that I LOVE~ They are falling apart!... :bcbsalute

Remember, Buddies: Alba contains aspartame (for those who need to consider it).
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Carol, thank you for posting that recipe. I LOVED my old FAvorites book as well. Unfortunately, when my husband and I were packing old books to donate to the library for their annual book sale, that one was packed by mistake!

Even though it's out of print, amazon.com sells used copies and I just ordered one that guarantees to be in pretty good condition for $1.65! The shipping costs more than the book!

I love those old simple recipes. I've decided to try the new plan on Sunday and go back to basics, which for me means simple, uncomplicated recipes using basic wholesome food. The old cookbooks are very representative of this. I'll be using my 35 flexpoints per week like a miser, probably on good fats and some other stuff in small amounts. If we can eat our APs (which I somehow doubt), I am sure I can live like that forever. I'm the type of person who likes simple uncomplicated basic meals anyway. I'm the weird one who like plan roasted chicken over chicken in cream-herb sauce! Probably if someone's a gourmet cook and likes very fancy food, the Flexpoints Progam and not the new Core program will be best for them.

I am very excited about Sunday. When I lose my weight I would like to become a leader and help others and give back all WW has given to me.

Thanks again for the recipe CArol!

Replies

My leader is an amazing cook and passes out wonderful recipes that she creates herself~ (See "My Leader, Nancy's, Vegetable Soup" on the recipe forums)

She has been on the Core program this summer and told me, "I plan to do this the rest of my life~"

She has talked about experimenting and creating sauces, lately.

I can't wait until I hear the details next Monday!
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies
    Blog Entries

Joanne, Kroger's is definitely in Ohio! In fact, their headquarters is one block away from where I work in downtown Cincinnati, and there are 5 Kroger stores within a 5 mile radius of my house.

Thanks to all of you for the memories - I remember making those logs! They were great snacks! The sad thing is - when I first joined WW, I actually weighed LESS than what my goal weight is now. :rolleyes:
    Things I'm Most Looking Forward To:
    No more back fat!
    More E-N-E-R-G-Y!
    Buying stylish, not oversized clothes
    Packing smaller clothes
    Living long enough to see my grandchildren grow up
    Having a stable wardrobe
    Ability to handle cravings
    The END of binging!
    A healthier me!

Does anyone remember Yum Yum cookies?

1 banana
    2 tsp. vanilla
    2 tsp. diet margerine

Mix together

Add:

1 1/2 oz. raisen bran
    1 tsp. baking powder
    2/3 cup. dry powdered milk
    1 pkg. sweetener

Could add 6 tsp. coconut

Bake 400 degrees 10 - 12 min 2 servings

Each serv: 1 fruit, 1 cereal, 1 milk and 1/2 ser.fat
    -------

How about Maplenut Nuggets

3 oz. raisen bran cereal, crushed
    2 tabl. honey
    4 tabl. peanut butter
    1/3 cup dry non fat milk
    1/4 tsp. maple flavoring

Set aside two tablespoons crushed flakes. Combine remaining flakes, honey, P B, dry milk and maple flavoring. Mix thoroughly. Shape into small balls. Roll in reserved crumbs. Chill in refrig. until ready to use. Divide into 4 servings.

Each serv: 1 bread, 1 tabl. P B., 3 serv. extras, 1/4 serv. milk and 1 serv. fat

I tallied this out one day to 1/2 a recipe is 6 pts.
    ________

Raisin Nut Balls

Makes 2 servings

1/4 cup raisins, chopped
    3 tabl. peanut butter
    2 tsp. each honey and shredded coconut
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
    1/4 cup water
    2 graham crackers, 2 1/2" square, made into crumbs

In a small bowl, combine raisins, P.B., honey, coconut, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Add milk powder and using a spoon combine ingredients until well blended. Add water and stir until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Using a spoon, scoop mixture into 18 mounds. Roll each mound in cracker crumbs, then using the palms of your hands into a smooth ball. Place on plate and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Each serv is equivalent to: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 tabl. P B,
    3 serv. extras, 1 milk and 1/2 bread

Ann
    Last edited by anninsd; 08-19-2004 at 02:22 PM. Reason: board doesn't like * for cup
    ann p

mistysmom7 Guest

I stumbled upon this wonderful site by accident. I was searching for Alba. I understand there is a recipe for homemade Alba. I would love to have it if anyone has it. I have not seen Allba in stores for years!

I am yet again trying to lose weight and hopefully I will stay in the program until I reach goal. I usually think I can save money and go it alone. WRONG!!

Have a great week and thank you!

jankeepingitoff4ever Guest

Excuse my ignorance but what is Alba?
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by mistysmom7
    I stumbled upon this wonderful site by accident. I was searching for Alba. I understand there is a recipe for homemade Alba. I would love to have it if anyone has it. I have not seen Allba in stores for years!

I am yet again trying to lose weight and hopefully I will stay in the program until I reach goal. I usually think I can save money and go it alone. WRONG!!

Have a great week and thank you!
    I just bumped the Homemade Alba thread for you, but I still can find Alba in my Kroger stores here in Texas. You can also order online at http://www.albadrinks.com

I did the same thing with thinking I could go it alone. Once I stuck with meetings I was able to get to goal and now I still go to meetings to help me stay there. I know you can do it too. Welcome to BCB!
    Joanne

Replies

Wow! Do I remember these! I used to make them for my children, and they LOVED them.

By the way, WHAT'S THIS ABOUT CHANGES COMING SUNDAY?????
    Can anyone fill me in?
    FREEDOM'S just another word for NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE.

Quote Originally Posted by MarlaB
    By the way, WHAT'S THIS ABOUT CHANGES COMING SUNDAY?????
    Can anyone fill me in?
    Marla, this is a really old thread. The original post about changes coming Sunday was when Core was released back in 2004.
    Joanne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast