1 large Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
    2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
    4 large chicken eggs
    1 cup low-fat cow’s milk
    ˝ tsp pepper
    ˝ tsp salt
    Pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Mist a 9-inch pie plate with oil. Place the bacon in the pie pan to cover the bottom; break pieces in half if needed. Top the bacon with apple slices and then cheese.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour custard over the bacon, apple slices and cheese. Bake for 70 minutes. Allow to cool before serving; great both warmed in the microwave or cold from the fridge.

Serves 8 @ 3 points per slice
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

judyo53 Guest

Default Re: Apple, Bacon & Blue Cheese Baked Frittata

This sounds sooooo good; I'm definitely going to make this but I don't have all the ingredients right now (& I absolutely hate grocery shopping). It calls for 4 large eggs but could that be substitued with Egg Beaters? Also, what about skim milk vs. lowfat. Just want to make sure I won't have a slimy uncookable mess if I don't follow this correctly as some recipes don't sub well. And while I'm at it, I'm sure turkey bacon could be used, too. Hey, and I'm not a blue cheese fan, how about lowfat cheddar? Or ricotta... My mouth is watering & I almost want to go to the store, but it's too hot to bake here although I guess I could try lighting half of my gas grill, although I think it reaches 325 degrees with one side lit.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Hey Judy!

Eggbeaters can be used, but use less milk - about 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup. Skim or 1% will work - points are the same. I've also made this with sharp cheddar and it's just as good. Yep, turkey bacon works too, in fact, I used Louis Rich brand in the one I made today - just use 6-8 slices instead of 12 as the turkey bacon is bigger.

HTH! :bcbsalute Paris
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

judyo53 Guest

Thanks Paris, I actually ended up at the store tonight after all & bought the ingredients but I'm starting with lowfat ricotta cheese since I had that in my head. Might be a bit blander but I just have to try it.

Thanks Paris! Another one that sounds perfect for our house! I think we'll have to have another breakfast/ supper next week. YUM!
    Lori

start 208
    current 193
    goal ww 158
    goal personal 148
    highest 242

"Don't tell God how big the storm is, instead tell the storm how big your God is."

judyo53 Guest

I made this today & I'll be following the real recipe a bit more closely next time. First off, I used egg beaters & 3/4 cup skim milk & I'll try 2 eggs & the rest egg beaters next time & maybe 1% milk as it took forever to cook up. I did use the grill (gas, started at a high temp & reduced it to 300 degrees but it still took way over 70 minutes & I even moved it to the flame part of the grill to get it to finish up). I also used turkey bacon & at the least I think I'll use half turkey bacon & half regular bacon next time, although I might just use all regular bacon. And although the ricotta cheese was nice, I think I'd prefer the tang of sharp lowfat cheddar cheese more with the apples. So I will give this another try since I was afraid my substitutions might not be as good as the recipe could have been closer to it's original form, which still wasn't bad at 3 pts. a serving. I'm thinking my version was probably around 2 pts./serving but I didn't figure it out, just a guesstimate.

BTW, we had this for dinner although it took so long it was almost breakfast--LOL.