Thread: Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

miss_piggy Guest

Default Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

These sound great but I've never tried them! I'm gonna be posting a few recipes that I've found on my Post Bran Flakes cereal box lol (lots of fibre in the recipes!)Prep Time: 25 min
    Baking Time: 15-20 min.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1 Tsp salt
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cups tart apples, diced (2 medium apples)
    2 cups Post Bran Flakes (or any bran cereal im sure)
    3 tsp cinnamon, divided
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    2 tbsp sugar

SIFT together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping.
    ADD apple, cereal and 1 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon to dry ingredients
    COMBINE eggs and milk. Add to apple mixture; stir lightly, just until moist (batter will be lumpy). Fill greased muffin tins to about 3/4 full
    BLEND reserved crumb mixture with remaining cinnamon, walnuts and 2 TBSP of sugar; sprinkle over batter in each cup.
    BAKE at 300 Degrees F (200 degrees *) for 15-20 min or until golden. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
    Makes 12 Muffins
    TIP: Leave the peel on the apples to increae fibre

CAlories: 296 Protein: 4.7 g Fat 14.8g Carbs: 38.4 g FIbre (2.6 g)
    It's a bit high in fat but saving your points for a special treat such as this could leave room for one sorry i havent figured out the points!

jeremysmom Guest

Default Re: Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

These do sound really good. Post cereals are on sale I noticed in the paper. I gotta try these.

jeremysmom Guest

These do sound really good. I used my points calculator and I came up with 7 points. Does this sound right? I'm not used to using it yet...can you tell???

By replacing the sugar with Splenda, you save 1 point per muffin. Replace the butter with applesauce, and you save another 2 points apiece. For textural reasons, I'd leave in the eggs. I'd also use brown sugar in the final crumb topping stage.

Now, you have a 3.5 point muffin, which is a more attractive proposition to me. :bcbsalute :bcbsalute
    Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

I just ran this thru MC and came up with 8 points per muffin. Wow! You could probably definitely slim them down by making some replacements - Splenda, skim milk, light butter or applesauce, egg substitue. As they stand they're way too pricey for me to spend on a muffin...

***edit... Cordy's right! I'd use the applesauce, splenda, skim milk and eggs. It brought it down from 15 grams of fat to a mere 4 grams of fat per muffin!
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW