Thread: 1 PT Breakfast Brownies

CKone Guest

Hi,

I haven't seen this posted, so I hope I'm not duplicating it, but these are so good and filling you'll think you're cheating!!

3 Cups All Bran Cereal (has to be all bran)
    2 1/2 Cups of Water
    1 Box Low Fat Brownie Mix (Betty Crocker)
    3 tsp Baking powder

Preheat Oven at 350 Degrees
    Mix cereal with water and let soak for 5 mins.
    Add brownie mix and baking powder, mix and let sit for a minute or two so the baking powder has a chance to work.
    Spray regular size cupcake pans with cooking spray
    Bake about 15 - 18 minutes.
    Makes about 20 cupcakes at 1 pt each!

This is so good I think I'm going to make it as a Birthday cake for myself. With whipped cream frosting!! MMM MMMm good.

Hope this isn't a duplicate, but I had to share.

Enjoy!

[ November 02, 2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: CKone ]

Somebody beat you to the punch! These were posted as 1 pt Chocolate Muffins in the Bread & Grains forum a few years back. The recipe is definitely a keeper though
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

CKone Guest

Wow! didn't even think to look there!! Well, I wasn't trying for any gold medal anyway [img]smile.gif[/img] Just wanted to make sure ppl knew. DH and I can't get enough of of them [img]smile.gif[/img]

Glad it's out there!!

shannon35 Guest

I LOVE these things. DH doesn't so that's more for me! I use Krusteaz FF brownie mix because I can't find the Betty Crocker LF mix. They are great though!

Shannon

Good food!

And Shannon- some of the regular/store brands are lower in fat than the LF popular versions -- check the labels, you might be surprised!
    Pam, wrkinmomtoo<br />It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle!<br />I deserve to BE my best, LIVE my best, CHOOSE my best<br />04.25.00: 211.5 - Lifetime:09.01.01 - Lost: 68.3lbs

Replies

Thumbs up

I made these today and they are a DEFINITE KEEPER!

On the other thread, it says "30 muffins at 1 point each", and this thread says, "20 muffins at 1 point each". I made the 20 muffins and they were NICE and BIG!

That's a big difference: ten muffins! :eek: Now I'm wondering about the points on these.
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Dora
    Dora from Athens/Greece<br />275/227/151<br />I can do it.

Just FYI - DON'T do what I did and try to make this in an 8 x 8 pan....it's so moist it never bakes up in the middle. It's so good, though, that I'm saving it, divided it up and am eating that gooey mess bit by bit anyway! I used the Krusteaz, and figured that divided by 16, each one would be 2 points each. Yum, yum, yum.

Helen

I know that Betty Crocker discontinued the Sweet Rewards line of low-fat mixes because there was no demand for it. I don't know if that includes the brownie mix because I know I bought some a few months back. Anyhow, I emailed BC and asked if they discontinued the brownie mix. I will post their reply when I get it.
    Success is not a race, be patient.<br />Success leads to success.<br />Success is always a work in progress.<br />Success doesn't come to you--you go to it.<br />Success is a journey, not a destination. Focus on the process.<br />Everyday is a good day to SUCCEED!

crazyeights Guest

I have done the math every way possible, and there is no way that these muffins are 1 point each when the recipe yield is 20. Even if you divide the recipe into 30 muffins, they are still 2 points, unless you are counting half points, then they are 1.5. (94 calories, 1.7 grams of fat and 2.6 grams of fiber.)

The Betty Crocker LF brownie mix says there are 18 servings in the box and that each serving is 130 calories, 2.5 grams of fat and 1 gram of fiber. The cereal used equals 6 servings and each serving is 80 calories, 1 gram of fat and 10 grams of fiber. The recipe totals are 2820 calories, 51 grams of fat and 78 grams of fiber. If you divide those by 20 servings, the total per serving is 141 calories, 2.55 grams of fat and 3.9 grams of fiber. That equals two points per muffin, no matter which Points plan you use.

11. Post

I agree with Crazyeights. Even though 1/2 cup of extra-fiber All Bran is zero points, you need to recalculate if using a whole box in a recipe. I am just beginning to realize after a two month platuea that I am under-calculating a lot because of things like this. It is STILL a great breakfast for two points!
    Latebloomer

Here's the way I figure it...

The recipe calls for 3 cups (not a whole box) of All Bran xtra fiber which is 300 cal, 6g fat and 78g fiber (capped at 4, of course) and with the math works out to 5.7 points total.

Krusteaz FF brownie mix (it's what I have on hand) is 1,920 cal, 0g fat, 0g fiber which work to 38.4 points total.

5.7 + 38.4 = 44.1 points for the entire recipe divided by 30 servings = 1.47 points or rounded down 1 pt. I agree though, at 20 servings it is 2 points.
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Replies

And here I wondered what was wrong with my Master cook, since I couldnt get it to be 1 pt per muffin.
    I have been counting 2 though so thats all that matters!

14. Talking

These are absolutely great! They definately satisfy the "chocolate" craving for me!

We traveled in 31 states this spring and summer and I found Betty Crocker Sweet Rewards Brownie Mix in Super WalMart Stores. I came home with 2 dozen boxes.

If I find any in S. Calif. they are much more expensive. We don't have Super WalMart yet.
    ann p

Replies

Made these this morning with Fiber One and Sweet Rewards. They are great! I got 32 muffins out of my batch. DH likes them too!!! I'll definitely make these again.

Using Fiber One, I figured these muffins to be one pt. There are less calories and more fiber in Fiber One than in All Bran. With Fiber One, each muffin (30 servings) come out to 90 calories, 1.7 grams of fat and 3.4 grams of fiber.

[ December 03, 2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: wommie ]
    Starting over: 06/12/07
    Goal Wt: 180

How I feel is within my control!!!

[/url]

Default Re: 1 PT Breakfast Brownies

Bumping up, because this looks great!

Ashley

3/7 miles Run
    15/30 miles Biked