Thread: Oatmeal "Granola"

I found this buried in one of the DaVinci Syrup use threads. I made it this morning and mixed it with a few dried cranberries and some non-fat yogurt. It was sooooo good!

Make granola. mix old fashioned rolled oats with squirts of syrup to dampen. I used caramel and toasted marshmallow. You can add any seeds or nuts you want if you can afford the points. Spread on cookie sheet. To make clusters you need to squish little handfuls on the cookie sheet. Put in low oven (my electric only goes as low as 250) for at least an hour. After it cools, bag it up. I add dried fruit. If you just do the oatmeal you have a low cal munchie thanks to DaVinci.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Smile

OH boy does this sound good. and I love granola, just not all the fat that ususally comes with it.
    I will definately try this!! Thanks for posting.
    Brenda
    Ya-Ya name: Queen Life of the Party.<br />To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals. - Benjamin Franklin<br /><br />SW=255 October 13, 2003<br />242 October 26, 2003<br />236.7 November 15, 2003<br />224 March 24, 2004<br />219 May 2, 2004<br />GW=160

Default Re: Oatmeal "Granola"

bumping up
    Joanne

Replies

I had to try this when I saw it. I have to admit, I was doubtful when first mixing, but just took it out of the oven, and it seems to be pretty good. The addition of the syrup was a little difficult, just kind of hit or miss there I think. Here's the big question--can you put milk on it, or does that just make it dissolve?

I made mine with SF white chocolate Torano syrup. I'll have to experiment with some other flavors. Also, does the kind of oatmeal matter--old fashioned vs. quick?
    Sharon

Sorry this won't be much help. I've never used it as a cereal with milk, only as a topping for yogurt and as a dry snack.
    I've only ever used old-fashioned oats, but I don't see why quick wouldn't work, they are just smaller cut and rolled pieces of oats.
    Joanne

Sharon,
    I have made it with both types of oats and I like the rolled oats better. They were larger and made clumps better. The instant separated better but I wanted a crunchy snack so I wanted larger bites. Both tasted great (especially made with the coconut syrup).

LOVE & BLESSINGS
    GAIL

Be faithful, be strong, be diligent.....
    it's only good news if told in time.

Replies

Talking Re: Oatmeal "Granola"

Oooo! I LOVE the idea of the coconut syrup!

Maybe banana syrup would be good, too~
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

O.k., duh. I guess I never thought about why quick oats were quick. BTW, it works great as a cereal, and maintains its crunch. Of course, I didn't let it sit too long. Very cool way to have a 2 pt bowl of granola vs. the regular stuff.
    Sharon

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Oatmeal "Granola"

Okay. I made this for DH and he LOVED it! Thumbs up!

I used the coconut syrup, and "misted" the oats with olive oil (on a non-stick aluminum foil covered baking pan). I cooked them at 375 degrees for around 20 minutes, or until the oats began to get "golden".

When adding the syrup to the oats, I also added: cinammon, dash of salt, and dried FF milk. (These were ingredients in my "regular" granola recipe.)

(I tried a packet of Splenda, but that did not work. It did not stick and was unnecessary because of the syrup.)

After cooking and cooling I added: chopped roasted hazelnuts, raisins, and cut-up prunes.

It didn't last one day! :eek: DH wants more!!

Replies

This may sound weird, but tasted really good. For breakfast, I mixed 1/4 cup granola, 1/2 cup applesauce (un), and 1/2 packet (1pt) raisins. It made a good sized bowl of something, don't know what to call it? Got in a fruit and complex carb though for 3 pts.
    Sharon

Is this a core food or do we have to count it as a points item?
    Rose SW-298/WWSW-290/CW-259/GW-175 Total lost=39 lbs

Replies

Smile Re: Oatmeal "Granola"

I would call it a Core food...it's just OATS!

Add WAPs for any added dried fruits or nuts~ :bcbsalute

Yummy, I've been looking for something like this to put as a topping over a can of sugar free apple pie filling that I have. Warm the pie filling in the micro and then top with this. I think I'll try it with my Caramel DaVinci syrup.

I'm going to try this right now.

Thanks for posting.

Replies

This sounds so good. It will make a really good low point or core snack. Thanks for posting.
    ~~I am not my past. I am free. For I am this instant how I choose to be.~~

~~Hugh Prather ~~
    Judy "B"

SW 294.4 CW 286.4 GW 160

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...m/exercise.png

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...j7W/weight.png

Bumping up!

LOVE & BLESSINGS
    GAIL

Be faithful, be strong, be diligent.....
    it's only good news if told in time.

Replies

You can use other flaked grains (barley, wheat) and you can add cereal (like Fiber 1, Kashi Good Friends, or Puffins) bits of dried fruit and anything else you have points for. I use butter-flavored PAM spray on mine while it's baking. I have given this to folks as a gift and they never knew it was good for them.

Of course with the additions it is no longer CORE. But many folks are on FLEX and your points can stretch a long way with this. It makes a great snack when travelling (except that it's messy!)
    There are many paths up the mountain but if we keep climbing we'll all reach the summit.

Lightbulb Re: Oatmeal "Granola"

I have a recipe for Crockpot Granola that is 2 pts for 1/2 cup. I found it on Recipe Zaar, great site for varied recipes. Since I am a diabetic cardiac patient, I try to follow flex with low fat, no added sugar, and low cholesterol foods. This site is one of two that I have found to be of tremendous help. Oh, btw, the second important thing in recipes is THEY NEED TO BE FAIRLY SIMPLE, Emeril I'm not!!!
    Crockpot Granola:
    5 cups old fashioned oatmeal (not instant or quick)
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup canola oil
    Place oats, honey and oil in crockpot, mix well. Cook on low, stirring every half-hour or so until golden, about 3 hours. Keep lid propped open while cooking. Cool and store in air tight container.
    Optional: add raisins, coconut, nuts, seed during the last hour of cooking, but don't forget to figure points if u do this.
    My daughter occasionally adds milk and has this for breakfast.
    Angelhugs

started WW Oct. 7, 2004
    Dec. 8, 2004 10% and counting
    Dec. 22, 2004 25 pounds gone
    March 30, 2005 41. 2 lbs gone-- 2nd 10%

Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.
    Carol Burnett

bumping for Deb
    Joanne

I tried this yesterday, was surprised at how well it worked! I added cinnamon before baking, then divided the granola into single serving baggies and added 2 tbsps of raisins to each. I ate it just as you would granola cereal. So good! Sure beats paying $3 a bag, and a lot less calories.

I made the crockpot granola yesterday. You DO have to follow instructions and not add any dried fruit until the last hour or it can burn. (Found out the hard way!). I added some dried cranberries and some raisins--not much, but enough to give it some pop! I also found some sugar free honey (I know...sounded odd to me too, but it says no calories and no fat or sugars). It worked great! I add it to a little SF/FF vanilla yogurt. Great! I figure it costs me about 2 points for the two of them. I used Dannon Fit 'n Lively yogurt and 1/4 c. of granola.

Somebody correct me if this is wrong! Thanks!
    Cheryl

SD~07/27/2010
    SW~227
    GW~160

Replies

I tried this last night--yummy snack! I used white chocolate and hazelnut syrups. Odd combo, I know, but it's what I had on hand. And it actually works. ;-)

I wanted to post here, though, because I did the calculations and if you add *freeze dried* fruit instead of dried fruit, you don't up the points value on flex. 1/2 cup still equals 2 points. Dried fruit can really add points quickly, but the freeze dried fruit adds that same fruity punch. I buy Just Raspberries at my local AJs or Henry's Farmer's Market.
    Nikki
    SW: 183 (1/8/06)
    CW:145
    WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)
    next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

I tried this tonight - yummy! I think that I needed to add a bit more syrup to mine, but I will continue to experiment with the quantities. I added cinnamon, too. Can't wait to have it on my yogurt in the morning.

Thanks for bringing this recipe back up!
    Christine:bcbsalute
    208.2/169.5/144
    SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Bumping to try again soon.
    Joanne