Thread: This morning's bulgar creation

Replies

Just thought I'd share the yummy breakfast I had this morning. I've read so much about bulgar on the boards, I bought a box a few weeks ago and just opened it this week. My first try was a bulgar pilaf which DH and I really enjoyed. So, I thought I did the savory side dish thing, now for the sweet breakfast attempt.

I used 1/4 of bulgar, 3/4 cup of soy milk, 1/4 cup of DaVinci's SF Vanilla syrup, 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon, and a dash of salt. Bring it all to a boil and then cover and reduce heat. Stir it occasionally, cooking for about 15 minutes. When it was done, I stirred in about a 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries.

YUMMY!! If you use the light soy milk, I figure this comes out to about 3 points total - with the berries. I guess you could add the berries in while cooking and they might explode and add more flavor.

Hope you enjoy!!

Karen [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
    Nothing tastes as good as a size 4 feels!

tinka Guest

I have made something similar. With recipes like this, we certainly don't feel deprived, do we?
    Tinka

3. Post

sounds delish, i would like to find bulgar in my store, i have looked in the cereals aisle and have not been able to find it.

Replies

It is delish. High fiber, low points, very filling and oh so tasty.

I have never seen bulgar in a grocery store. Do you have any kind of natural food store, or health food store near you? Those kind of stores usually carry it. I have also ordered it online from bulkfoods.com It's about 8.00 for 5lbs...very affordable.

good luck [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    CoreSW: 226.5 CW:219 GW:150 HW:241
    *If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it, even if I may not have it at the beginning. Mahatma Gandhi
    *Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. Abraham Lincoln

Replies

Is this Bulgar stuff like oatmeal? I never had this before but if its as filling as everyone is saying, then I would like to try it. What brand is best?
    Janet
    Joined WW May 5,2003<br />SW: 237<br />CW: 186.8<br />GW: 130 <br />Joined Curves on 8/6/03. Love it!<br /><br />"Always take care of You first".

Replies

Bulgur is a grain, more like a brown rice to me. It is chewier than white rice.

I find mine in the bulk food section at my grocery store. Bob's Red Mill is the brand that they carry.

Another place to look in the baking isle, where the flour is. Almost all the grocery stores that I go to carry it here if they do not have a health food section. They should have a Bob's Red Mill display on the shelf where there is all different kind of flours and grains in little bags. Or just ask if they have it, it might just be hidden. (Kind of like pumpkin, I always look for it in the baking isle, but it is in the vegetable isle, go figure)

Hope this helps.

Tam
    TBONE<br />*** *** *** ***<br />Do what you say, say what you mean.<br /> The Fix<br />Ya Ya Name<br />Viscountess Quick Rabbit <br /> <br />GW Size 8 Petite, Loosely! <br /><br />My Personal Goal: Lose inches, exercise 3-4 days a week and be HAPPY with who I am!

Does anyone know - if I was going to steam the bulgar, how much water do I put in with the bulgar - is it 1 to 1, or 1 to 2? I've heard steaming takes about 20 minutes.....does that sound right?

I missed how to do it in the microwave....could someone share?

Thanks!

Helen

Replies

Hi there! I used two cups water to one cup bulgar, but sometimes I have to add more water as the cooking process proceeds. Just keep an eye on it. I cook mine on the stovetop. I haven't ventured to the microwave with it yet.

Good luck!

Karen [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
    Nothing tastes as good as a size 4 feels!

Thanks! I bought some, now I just need to cook it up.

Helen