Thread: on the go

dwmw613 Guest

What do you recommend for fast quick easy and out the door breakfast.?

Mari

Replies

I eat breakfast in my car during my 40 minute work commute every morning. Call me boring, but I rely on toast. I buy low cal whole wheat Healthy Lite bread, two slices for one point. I have found that the whole wheat keeps me satisfied for longer. I use Brummel and Brown yogurt spread, one point per tablespoon, or Peanut Wonder Peanut Butter, one point per tablespoon. One tablespoon is enough for a light coat on both pieces. This is a low point breakfast that is actually quite filling. In addition, around 10 every morning, I have a piece of fruit. On the weekends, I make up for my puny weekday breakfasts!

Replies

Here are a few of my quickie choices:

1. The milk & cereal bars are tasty, only 3 points AND count as a milk/dairy product for the day.

2. Pria bars are chock full of nutrition for only 2 points (not super filling though).

3. Small whole wheat pita with fat free ham and cheese (pop in the oven to heat while you're getting ready to go).

4. Dry cereal (I usually get Honey Nut Cherrios - only 2 points for one cup).

Hope this helps!

Jillian, Here is the scoop from the week 1 book:

The following chart list foods that have about the same amount of calcium as 1 cup (or serving) of milk or yogurt. When choosing these foods be sure to count the Points values toward your Daily Points Range.

Calcium Rich Foods and their POINTS values:
    An asterisk * indicates counts as 1 serving of milk products.

*Cappuccino, 1 grande - 2-4 points
    Cereal Bar, calcium fortified 1 bar - 2-4 points
    Cereal, fortified 1 cup - 2 points
    Cheese:
    *cottage cheese, 2 cups 6-10 points
    *hard or semi-soft, any type, 1 1/2 oz - 2-4 points
    *ricotta, 1/2 cup - 2-6 points
    *Dairy shake, reduced calorie, 1 packet - 2 points
    Hot cocoa, instant, calcium fortified, 6 fl oz - 1-2 points
    Juice, calcium fortified, 1 cup - 2 points
    *Latte, 1 tall - 2-5 points
    Meal replacement/nutritional supplement products:
    bar for weight loss, 1 (1oz) - 3 points
    *drink, 1 cup - 5 points
    *drink for weight loss (canned or prepared from powder using fat-free milk), 1 cup - 3 points
    *Milk shake, fast food, 1 (10 fl oz) - 9 points
    *Pudding, made from fat-free, sugar-free mix made with fat-free milk, 1 cup - 3 points
    Rice drink, calcium fortified, 1 cup - 2-4 points
    Soy milk, calcium fortified, 1 cup - 2-3 points
    Waffle, low-fat, calcium fortified, 2 - 3 points

So I think by the letter of the law the program says only these foods count as milks, but many people say they can't do the milk so calcium from other sources is better than none. I try really hard to get real milk servings in even though I'm lactose intolerant. I use lactose free milk and don't have too many problems with it.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

Hrm. I've heard that the "milk" in the cereal bars doesn't count as a milk? There may not be truth to that, but it was being discussed in another one of the groups on here. [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img]
    SW/HW:244.8 (11-3-04)
    CW: 230.8(12-20-04)
    GW: 146

Editht Guest

Well, some may not agree with me, but I like Balance Bars. They are about 5 points apiece and they hold me for several hours. They also taste good and are totally portable! I've also been known to grab a hard boiled egg and a piece of fruit on the way out the door. The egg helps stave off hunger longer than just fruit or fruit and cereal. I've started keeping boiled eggs in the fridge for quick 2 pt snacks too. When I'm home I like oatmeal or other hot or cold cereals, and fruit with a cup of milk.

law4rach Guest

My new favorite are Eggo Fat Free Waffles with PB and honey. About 1 Tblspoon of rf PB and then 1 Tblspoon of honey. It is 5 points for the entire breakfast and very filling and staisfying.

I also like to put PB and honey on toast which cuts the points down to 4 because I have the 2 slices for one point.

Good luck!

I also love the WW smoothie (vanilla) with a little bit of pineapple, some pineapple juice, and some ice cubes. Tastes like the tropical shake at UDF!

Replies

A good breakfast I have had, and its super filling........Breakstone Cottage Doubles (3 pts)
    and 1/2 C of Fiber One Cereal (0 pts). Its crunchy and fruity and when I eat this at 8 am
    I am still not hungry by 12 !! I was told that the Fiber one cereal has points. I checked the box and the serving size is 1/2 cup and it came out to zero points. I did it on my electronic calculator to be sure. If its supposed to be a point, someone let me know. Thanks.
    Joined WW May 5,2003<br />SW: 237<br />CW: 186.8<br />GW: 130 <br />Joined Curves on 8/6/03. Love it!<br /><br />"Always take care of You first".

The best way I make my points work is by having a low point breakfast. I usually eat around 2-3 points and then my Milk. So ReALLY 2-5 pts.

I can't eat bread, so I usually have to sit down and eat these. Though I have taken them to work and made/eatten them there:

1. 1 cup oatmeal (Sweetner choices: fruit spread, SF syrup, splenda, or fruit.)

2. 1 cup cream of wheat (same sweetners)

3. 2 corn tortillas with slice of cheese, picante and 1 TBS FF sour cream. Microwave 20 seconds. 3pts

4. 1 c yogurt, 1 c high fiber bran flakes (1 pt) and 1 c frozen fruit mixed together! Extremely filling- 4pts

5. 1 c corn grits with 1 tsp butter. Good but a lot of soduim. I use rarely 3pts.
    SW = 188(11/01/01)<br />CW = 169 (7/16/03)<br />14.4 lbs lost! <br />WW GW = 141<br />PGW = 132 (coming in 2003!)

dwmw613 Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will give them a shot.

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] Mari