Thread: Whole Wheat Pancakes

Replies

I found this recipe on the bulk bin at the grocery store. They are as delicious as the Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Pancake Mix we've been using and loving...!

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 C. wheat berry kernels
    1 tsp. salt
    3 TBS. oil
    Milk, to cover wheat berries
    2 eggs (or egg substitute, or egg whites)
    1 TBS. sugar
    1 TBS. baking powder

Cover rinsed wheat with milk. Let soak overnight in the frig. In morning add eggs, salt, sugar, baking powder and oil. Put all into blender (or VM) and blend until batter is very smooth. If batter is too thick, add a little more milk. Batter should be thin. Fry on a hot griddle.

Anybody want to run this through Mastercook for points? I got about 10 6" pancakes (if you want me to be more specific I can go count-and-measure! )

Sooooooooo EASY!! And easy clean-up with the VM! Just a drop of soap in water at the 5 C. water line and one minute on "high"!!

Let me know if anyone tries these pancakes! I think they are a definite "keeper"!! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] Carol

P.S. I put DV Pancake syrup on top, along with my homemade apple butter...Yum!
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Mary Zotz kindly ran this through Mastercook for me: Here's what she wrote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Pancakes
    Servings: 10
    Points Per Serving: 2.36

1 cup whole wheat berries
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    1 cup skim milk
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder

Cover rinsed wheat with milk. Let soak overnight in the frig. In morning add eggs, salt, sugar, baking powder and oil. Put all into blender (or VM) and blend until batter is very smooth. If batter is too thick, add a little more milk. Batter should be thin. Fry on a hot griddle.

Per Serving: 127 Calories; 5g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 38mg Cholesterol; 383mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Using 1/2 cup Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs...
    Per Serving: 119 Calories; 5g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Original recipe using only 1 1/2 tablespoons oil...
    Per Serving: 109 Calories; 3g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 38mg Cholesterol; 383mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Recipe using 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 cup Egg Beaters...
    Per Serving: 101 Calories; 2g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Replies

Fascinating. 2 pt. per pancake regardless of which variation you use. If you have 2, the variations with 1/2 the oil are 4 pt. and the others are 5.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

naomi3rook Guest

These sound yummy, but what is VM, and where do you find mastercook? Oh and DV for the syrup. I'm new here, and don't know all the abbreviations yet. :eek:
    Thanks

Replies

Sorry, Naomi! [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for asking.

VM is a super-powerful-blender called Vita-Mix. In this recipe, a regular blender will do the job!

Mastercook is a computer program (I got mine at Costco, I believe, for about $14). You "plug" in the components of a recipe, and it "spits out" the nutritional information for you so that you can figure your WW points!. It also let you organize recipes, etc.

If you don't have Mastercook, you can do like I did and yell "help" and hopefully someone (like Mrs. Zotz or Charski) will point your recipe for you! (It takes some time to learn Mastercook, and some people are already pros! )

And DV is for DaVinci Syrups. DVSF is DaVinci Sugar Free syrups. You can find them on davincigourmet.com or they also have a banner to click on here at Boot Camp Buddies (maybe on the Daily Thread page?) Buddies use the syrups for all KINDS of drinks, recipes, and sweetening (for ZERO points!! :eek: ). You can also find a long thread on the ways people use the syrups (maybe at CyberGranny's Mess Hall?)

Good Luck! You're gonna' have some fun here!!

Carol

Replies

Bump!