Thread: Mastercook.....I am hopeless

momof2girls Guest

Ok, I don't think I am adding things correcting to my ingredients list.

I added Splenda this morning....and when I imputed a new recipe...It said it had MORE calories in it using splenda then reg. sugar?! Can someone please help me with this recipe:

I used SPLENDA NOT sugar

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 c. egg substitute
    1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 c. flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 c. fat free sour cream
    1 cup (or 2 ripe) mashed bananas

makes 12 muffins

So, what is the actual nutrition info per muffin?

Thanks so much!

Angie
    (Hopelessly retarded when it comes to Mastercook) :rolleyes:

mrszotz Guest

Here you go Angie... adding new ingredients can take a little time to master in MasterCook!! Let me know if you would like a step-by-step procedure [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mary

* Exported from MasterCook *

Recipe By: Angie
    Servings: 12
    Points per serving: 1.68

1/2 cup splenda -- granular
    1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1 cup mashed bananas

Per Serving: 94 Calories; trace Fat; 3g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 216mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

mrszotz(Mary),
    I also am trying to learn MasterCook (amongst doing a hundred other organizational projects, eek), and wonder if you could tell me how you get the "points per serving" to: #1 calculate and #2 show on your recipe?

You are always so helpful to everyone, thank you!

Vicki

momof2girls Guest

Mary,

Thank you so much! I really don't know why this is so challenging to me!

The splenda nutritional info is:

Serving size=1 tsp
    2 cals
    0 fat
    0 fiber

So when I go to enter it into the M.C ingredient list it looks like this:

Serving size_____ Unit______

Is equal to weight_____ Unit_____

or equals volume_______ Unit_____

(under the unit it is actually a arrow and you are to scroll down and choose a unit)

So, how do I fill this out?

THANK YOU so much for helping!

Angie

momof2girls Guest

somebody....please help me? [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

I'm not sure if you need to know where to find the nutrition info or if you still need help adding ingredients in the database. You figure the points yourself from the info supplied by MasterCook.

There are some threads in Cybergranny's Mess Hall on using MasterCook, they're on page 2 and well worth the time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have been trying to figure this out for ever and I know splenda has about 96 cal for 1 cup this is what I just figured out For you and Me

The splenda nutritional info is:

Serving size=1 tsp
    2 cals
    0 fat
    0 fiber

So when I go to enter it into the M.C ingredient list it looks like this:

Serving size___1__ Unit___Teaspoon___

Is equal to weight___0.5__ Unit__gram___

or equals volume_______ Unit_____

(under the unit it is actually a arrow and you are to scroll down and choose a unit)

and then where the Calories are put 0.20

Then this comes out to 1 cup about 97 cal and 1/2 about 47 cal. this is very close when you check it in a blank recipe put 1 serving when checking the 1/2 cup or 1 cup.

This is what I'm going to use I have tried to figure it out for ever.
    Dawn
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

From MasterCook help topics:

"Nutrition Facts labels on consumer products show values in two ways: as the actual amount the ingredient contains and as a Percent Daily Value. These values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

You don’t need to enter both the amount and the Percent Daily Value. Enter one and the program will calculate the other. For example, if you enter 5 grams of fat in the amount field, the Percent Daily Value will be calculated automatically.

Hot Tip:
    Make sure you add as much information as you can, especially the serving size and volume equivalents. The more information MasterCook has, the more accurate the nutritional analysis will be. Without this information MasterCook often has to make assumptions, such as whether or not an ingredient has the weight or volume of water."

Here's a great tip on entering your recipes from Pam E's cookbook of tips and faqs:

Q. In MasterCook, if I have two 10 ounce cans of tomatoes, I don't have to type 20 ounces now. We can use enter the number of cans. How do you do it? Any tips?

A. Page 130 shows a few examples but don't follow the one about the kidney beans.

_Amt__Unit____________Ingredient
    2 10 ounce cans chopped tomatoes
    4 3 ounce skinless boneless chicken breasts
    1 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup
    1 15 1/2 oz can cooked kidney beans

The nutrition works. MasterCook will calculate the nutrition for 20 ounces of chopped tomatoes.

"Kidney beans" are in the ingredient list as dried (not cooked). Adding the word "can" to the units does not force MasterCook into using the nutrition for cooked beans. To get accurate numbers, it's still up to us to enter or link to the right ingredient.

There are 1,415 calories in "1 15-oz can kidney beans" but only 344 calories in "1 15-oz can cooked kidney beans"

Another choice is to enter "1 15-oz can kidney beans, cooked"
    =================

Here's the link for it:
    http://mc6help.tripod.com/

to the top
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

momof2girls Guest

THANK YOU! I am slowly learning...and your tips and guidance is VERY much appreciated! So, if it is a liquid then I put it in as volume (or the second weight place) right...?

Thanks again so much!

Angie

When adding items to the ingredient database, make sure you put a check mark in the box on the right side for fluid when appropriate.

Another thing, I notice this a lot ... many kind, generous, and well meaning ladies are posting their recipes but missing the "unknown items" displayed under the Nutrition tab. If things are listed there, they're not being counted in the total calorie counts.

Another MasterCook quirk: You enter 3 "large" egg whites. MasterCook has that as "egg white" for the item. It will display under Nutrition Warnings as "MasterCook assumes an average whole of this item". Change your entry to egg white in that column instead of large and it goes away after you tab out of that field. Try it.

Always check the Nutrition tab for unknown items. After you get used to how items are in the database, you'll adjust your recipes when you enter then. Instead of 1 cup white flour you'll enter 1 cup all-purpose flour etc. Notice too, all purpose isn't the same as all-purpose. Seems like a pain in the rear at times but you'll get used to it soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Be sure too on your cans, if you enter 1 can, it won't know what you have. If you enter it as 1 20 ounce can then it does, supplying your correct can size of course. These are examples only.

It takes a bit of playing with it to really learn how to use it but it's well worth the time and effort.

Default Re: Mastercook.....I am hopeless

Bumping for the new Mastercook users. It gets easier ladies, don't give up.

Default Re: Mastercook.....I am hopeless

I so agree that it is important to enter as much information as you possibly can. It truly does get easier. Master Cook has so much information in its database that the more you give it, the more accurate your calculations are.

The only unknown ingredients you should ever ignore are when you specifically add instructions on the ingredient tab, such as if you are making a pie crust and filling, you can put 'for the crust' in the ingredient column and add the ingredients under it. When you have all of them listed then you would put 'for the filling' on the next ingredient line and follow it by the list of ingredients. Both of those entries will show up in the "unknown ingredients" window.
    This can be ignored and you can go on to the actual nutritional window.

Master Cook is a complicated program but is actually very simple in its construction. We are all learning and those of you that know more than the rest of us, thank you so much for helping us along.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.