Thread: BCB MasterCook Tips

mrszotz Guest

I was going to post this in the "Got MasterCook Now What" thread and I thought it might be easier to have a dedicated thread for all of our tips!!

Importing a Single Recipe

1. Copy the recipe to import (highlight the recipe then right click your mouse and choose copy or press Ctrl and C at the same time)
    2. Open MasterCook
    3. Open the cookbook you want the recipe in
    4. Click on File, New Recipe
    5. Click on Tools, Import Assistant
    6. Paste the recipe into the box (right click your mouse and click paste or press Ctrl and V at the same time)
    7. Use the keyboard up arrow key to move the cursor to the top of the import text box (it should be blinking at the end of the recipe)
    8. Highlight the text you want to move (Title, # of Servings, Ingredients (one at a time), Directions, and any other info), select Recipe Field, then click Move To Recipe
    9. When all information is moved, Click File, then Save

Step #8... this will be the most confusing!! Once you highlight something to move it should be gone from the box. When you are moving ingredients, only move one line at a time until you are comfortable, then highlight the entire list of ingredients and move the whole block over.

Copying Recipes from One Cookbook to Another

1. Have MasterCook open twice on computer, once for each cookbook.
    2. Click on Recipe to move.
    3. Click Edit, Copy Recipe.
    4. Click on second window of MasterCook.
    5. Click Edit, Paste Recipe.
    6. Go back to first window of MasterCook.
    7. Click on Recipe just copied.
    8. Click File, Delete Recipe.

You can also follow these instructions from MasterCook:

Copying Recipes from One Cookbook to Another

1. Click Cookbooks on the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen.
    2. Double-click the cookbook that you want to add recipes to. The Recipe Browser will appear.
    3. Click MasterList on the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen.
    4. Select the recipe you want to move from the MasterList, right-click it and choose the Copy command from the list. Now minimize the MasterList and return to the Recipe Browser.
    5. Use the Paste Recipes command from the Edit menu and the recipe(s) will be copied into the cookbook. You can also copy recipes from the Recipe Browser to a cookbook in the MasterList.
    6. If you want to remove the recipe from the original cookbook you'll have to go back and delete it.

Note: You can also drag one or more recipes from a cookbook in the MasterList to an open cookbook in Recipe Browser.

Thanks for starting this thread!

I would recommend MC-Tagit to anyone who is importing recipes into MasterCook, whether from scanned files or from files copied off the web. Once you have the recipe in a text file you modify it by using labels that MC-Tagit recognizes. For example, you type "S:" in front of the number of servings, "Src:" in front of the source. Once the file is formatted correctly MC-Tagit will create a MC file that you can import with all the recipe data in the correct place.

It takes a little practice, but I can now format a recipe in seconds. It is absolutely the easiest way to import a recipe!

http://www.mctagit.com/MCTagit.htm
    Abby

SW: 285 (1/1/08)
    CW: 179

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."

Replies

I thought I'd repost this on this thread:

I've got a MasterCook tip that I just stumbled on: instead of adding a new ingrdient, create a synonum (sp) for an existing one.
    I.E, MasterCook out of the box does not recognize the ingredient "white sugar" (thanks again, Mary!
    [img]graemlins/embarrassed.gif[/img] ). Instead of retyping the ingredient information for "sugar" as "white sugar" , just do this:
    1. Click on "white sugar" in your ingredient line.
    2. Click "Ingredient" on the top tool bar, click "create nutritional link".
    3. In the space under "Link Nutritionally with ingredient on the list", choose "sugar".
    4. Click the little box next to "Create Synonym", and that's all you have to do! The next time you add "white sugar", MasterCook will recognize it!
    Hope this helps!

Jeannette [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Replies

Well, thanks guys. I’m a MC newbie, too – yay! I do have a question, though…my dad gave me a disk with all of the family recipes on it & I’d like to set up a cookbook with those recipes in it. So far, every time I’ve tried to import them, my MC freezes. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong or what I should be doing? Thanks!
    jendear75
    Returned Lifetime member

http://2011istheyear.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the tips everybuddy!

Mary, this is such a good thread, we should start a new one each week so it doesn't get too long.

I would suggest that you start a new thread each Sunday as I am going to do on the new recipe thread and then everyone will know to copy the file over to their computer or print them each week.

This is going to be a great and busy thread!!!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Replies

Jendear, are those recipe in MC format? Or MC txt exports? If not, MC is probably confused and just stops. This happens to me when I try to import *.mc2 files, instead of just adding them. If this is not the case and they are in the correct format, either check the user's manuel from Pam E.'s Page (I'm sure someone else has this problem too) or post the question at the Sierra MasterCook Forum Page and I'm sure someone can help!

Jeannette [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

I'll second Pam Erickson's web page as a great source for MasterCook tips. She is a Volunteer Sierra Moderator on their MasterCook boards and she has complied a great many of the tips people have come up with into a MasterCook cookbook titled "A MasterCook 5.0 & 6.0 User Guide". Each tip is a different "recipe" right in MasterCook so it is easy to reference at the time you need it.
    Abby

SW: 285 (1/1/08)
    CW: 179

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."

mrszotz Guest

Cybergranny - Great idea!! I'll post a MasterCook Tip thread every Sunday.

I downloaded Pam's "Tip Cookbook" a few months ago and it is a good thing to have!!

~Mary~
    [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

bumping up
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!

bumping up
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

bump
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Replies

*** BUMP ***

PAT

mrszotz Guest

bump

bump
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Replies

bump
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    http://www.realfoodliving.com
    In remission from Acute Leukemia
    Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!
    218/in-between/125

Default Re: BCB MasterCook Tips

Please Bump
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

Bumping up for new Mastercook users

:bcbsalute

Thanks Frisky. I can't believe this thread is still around. It is excellent for new users. Mary is very accomplished with the program.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Replies

Bumping up for new forum
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    http://www.realfoodliving.com
    In remission from Acute Leukemia
    Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!
    218/in-between/125

Replies

I've found a great way to quickly find and/or catagorize recipes in MC8 using the "predefined search" option.

Let's say you want to find all the recipes in your cookbook that use chicken breasts, but there are 300+ recipes to look through.

1) Open a new window (Ctrl- D) and hit "search".
    2) Click the "expanded search" button and type "chicken breasts" in the space provided and click "as a phrase".
    3) Unclick the "search all", "directions", "notes", "serving ideas" (you can either unclick "titles" or leave it).
    4) Click the "Add" button- make sure everything you want is in that pane that says "serach all cookbooks for recipes that".
    5) Go to to "File>Save Search Criteria As>" and name your search.
    6) Go back to your original cookbook window and see if your search is under the "Filter Recipes By>Predefined Search" (if it's not, open one of the recipes then go back to the "Select Recipes is Recipe Browser".)
    7) Select your saved search and your chicken breast filter will run.

Now you can catagorize them, or just view them.

There is a way to find your recipes under MC 7 by using the search feature steps 1-3, but searching only the cookbook you want to find the recipes in ("Search in>select cookbooks to search>your cookbook name"). Once the recipes come up, open another window (crtl- d), create an empty cookbook. Select all the recipes in the Found Items window, copy them and paste them into the new cookbook (or drag and drop). You can then catagorize them (after catagorizing them, select them all and copy them back into your original cookbook using the "replace recipe" option), or just search them.

This is also a great way to find recipes with certain point values, and what's even better is that while you have narrowed your recipes using the predefined search option, you can further narrow it by filtering with the "display by catagory" filter. This means you can find all of your cake recipes that are 3 points per serving, not just all the recipes that are 3 points per serving! WAAAAY COOL!!

Seems complicated, but when you start doing it it takes a minute or two to get new searches saved.
    Jeannette

I can't get that webpage for Pam to work

Replies

That link is dead , but this is the new one:
    http://mc6help.tripod.com/
    Jeannette