Thread: Baked Potatoes

Replies

Has anyone ever heated whole potatoes on the grill? I'm not an avid cook (hardly cook at all) and I'm wondering if it can be done? And how... and for how long, etc...
    ~Lisa
    HW 209
    SW 199
    CW 178.0
    GW 153.0
    Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
    ~Buddha

Replies

I have done them that way...but it does take a while!

Some other suggestions...
    Pre-bake them in the micro for a bit (my microwave has a more done/less done sensor...I can control the baking time), then add them to the Q when you put your meat on.

OR... I often use my slow cooker for baked potatoes...especially in the summer when it's too hot to turn on the oven. I put in 5 or six potatoes in the crock at noon-ish, and voila...baked spuds for 5pm. Make sure your crock is on high!! I love this option, because there are no pots to clean after dinner, just a wipe of the crock, and the plates we ate dinner off of (because, naturally we Q'ed the meat!).
    HTH,
    Annie
    HW: 170<br />CW: 153 <br />GW: 135<br />Height: 5'3"<br /><br />BRING IT ON!!!<br /><br />*********************<br /><br />Be the change you want to see in the world...Mahatma Ghandi

3. Post

Sure, we had them just the other night. To me, they make the BEST baked potatoes. I spray them with a little ICBINB spry and sprinkle with salt and pepper, this step is optional though. Then roll in foil and grill for an hour. We have a gas grill, so it's so easy. We also grilled corn and it was good!
    -Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.
    -Dr. Phil

Nix Guest

Talking

I do my potatoes out on the grill everytime I bbq but I wrap mine in foil & place them directly on the coals & rotate them every now & then. It takes about an hour. P.S. I "double" wrap them in foil because the foil gets all "sooty" & dirty from the charcoal. When done, I remove the outer, dirty foil & still have clean foil under that to serve the potatoes in.
    They are very tasty this way

Nix

Replies

Smile

Thank-you very much for the replies!
    ~Lisa
    HW 209
    SW 199
    CW 178.0
    GW 153.0
    Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
    ~Buddha

Stacyhdx Guest

Default Re: Baked Potatoes

I microwave potatos for till they are almost soft...then i cut them open..mix up the inside..spray them with parkay spray butter and sprinkle seasoning salt on them....wrap them up with tinfoil and put on the grill until the rest of your food is done. They're always a hit

* You can also use any kind of spices..sometimes the grill mates are really good, ect..

Crusadecat Guest

yes i do it quite often, wrapped in tin foil and it takes me about 40 minutes on a charcoal weber grill.

Yes and they are wonderful. You should try them.
    Misty

SW-274
    CW-234.0
    Total destroyed 40.0

~Proud member of The Buddy System~

-If you fail to plan, you plan to fail

Replies

I love BBq'd dill potatoes!! They are so good! I was so excited when I checked to see how many points they would be!! 4 points!!

1 baking potato (5")
    1 sprig dillweed (fresh)
    1 teaspoon margarine (or Brumble & Brown butter flavored yogurt)
    Season to your liking with salt and pepper

Slice potato in half, place dillweed and margarine in potato. Wrap potato in foil.
    BBQ for about 45 minutes, or until soft depending on your BBQ.

Points = 4
    Michelle
    As I lose the weight, I find a me I thought I'd lost!
    sw 342 cw 289 gw 174

Replies

I just wash the potatoes and put them on the grill, no wrapping, no seasonings, and bake until soft (about an hour for 6-8 oz. potatoes, the 2 pt. size). It makes the skins all crispy and yummy. To bake inside I bake them at 450.

Potatoes wrapped in foil are more steamed than baked. It took meeting my 2nd MIL to learn to bake them!
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Also great potatoes on the grill--slice potatoes in 1/2 inch slices. Put in bowl and microwave until firm but not hard/not soft. Spray each side with Pam and season to taste. I use an all-purpose garden seasoning. Grill 10 min. each side or until crispy.
    I love these because they get crispy and I usually grill onions and peppers with them. You only have to count the points for the potatoe!!!

ginnyb

Hi i have done jacket potatoes for quickness in microwave then to crisp them up in the oven really nice with cheese spring onion sandwich fill yuuuuuumy try them

Sounds so good - can't wait to grill some potatoes this weekend!
    'You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.'

We take our potatoes, microwave them a bit. Then slice them in two and sprinkle them with salt and pepper or seasoning salt, spray a bit of ICBINB, place a thin slice of a sweet onion. Put back together. Spray a piece of tinfoil with the butter spray and lightly season. Wrap tin foil around potato and grill until soft. We also wrap a thin slice of bacon around the potatoe before wrapping in tin foil. You can just throw this bacon slice away but it adds a nice flavor. I have also put the potatoes directly into briquet coals and that was really good.

Weather you bake your potatoes in the oven or on the grill, EVERYONE should have a set of baking nails. Yep, just like they sound--they are large nails that you "pound" through your potatoes to cut down on baking time.

No, you shouldn't use regular nails!! You can get these at cooking stores or on-line. They are cheap and they REALLY work! You can cook large potatoes in less time, and they are great if you have to keep your potatoes in the refrigerator for storage. The nail heats up fast, heating the middle of the cold potato!

I have two large nails (1/4 inch diameter, 6" long) and 6 smaller ones--I use two of these per potato.

A great "gadget" that every WW buddy needs!!

ginnyb
    "The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

WOW! I made baked potatoes on my grill last night, according to the directions posted here, and they were wonderful! Thanks for the tips ladies! I definitely like these more than in the oven, and I will absolutely make them again!

Deb
    251.6/235.4/229 Getting Back on track and sticking to it!
    "If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

17. Default Re: Baked Potatoes

I also like foil packet potatoes on the grill. It's faster than trying to cook a whole potato.

Chop potato and any other veggies you want. Place in foil packet with some olive oil and seasonings (I like to use Newman's Own olive oil salad dressing). Pinch edges of packets and throw on the grill with your meat!