Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: To Die For Roast

Replies

Default Re: To Die For Roast

I made my first meal using a crock pot with this recipe last night. Towards the end, I tasted it and added a bit more water. It was great!

The best part was that my DH ~ crock pot snob and the true chef in the house ~ thought it was a keeper! Thank you!!

"If and When were planted, and Nothing grew."
    proverb

Replies
    Blog Entries

Hey guys,

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know the points for this ?
    Amy

SW/CW/GW
    248.4/224/125

Replies

here ya go, Amy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
    I've got this in the CP this morning and it smells wonderful! I added cut up potatoes and baby carrots and used a "beef chuck top blade roast" (3 oz = 7 pts).

For those that were interested in the calories for the seasoning packets, they are very low. I used -

Good Seasons Italian (8 servings per pkg) - 2.5 g dry mix = 5 c / 0 f
    McCormick Brown Gravy Mix (4 servings per pkg) - 1 tbsp dry mix = 20 c / .5 g f
    Hidden Valley Original Ranch (16 servings per pkg) - 1.8 g dry mix = 5 c / 0 f
    I use the low-sodium gravy packet and slice the roast in half length-wise before putting it in.
    ~Kristi~

4. Default Re: To Die For Roast

Hi just a quick suppose on this. Suppose you would use pork. I have a lot of pork and was just wondering. Really sounds like a roast recipe though. Again just wondering. Thanks Donna

Bumping up...anyone try this recipe with chicken breasts instead?
    "Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

gingham*grasshopper Guest

I make this all the time and it's always a hit.
    I havent tried it with chicken but I bet it would be good!

I found the salt overwhelming and that somehow the gravy had an unpleasant "packaged" taste.....maybe it's just my tastebuds, but my husband agreed.....
    “May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night. May the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being. May you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life.”

Quote Originally Posted by DPruyn777 View Post
    Hi just a quick suppose on this. Suppose you would use pork. I have a lot of pork and was just wondering. Really sounds like a roast recipe though. Again just wondering. Thanks Donna

Two people mentioned they made it with pork:
    Quote Originally Posted by RmNuch View Post
    I made this Saturday and used a Pork Roast and Added chopped up Potatoes and Carrots. My family loved it. Even my husband who is not a fan of Crockpots.

Thanks for the recipe.... I think I may try it in the future with chicken too.... like suggested
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseAudrey View Post
    I cooked this tonight and it was yummy. I used the following substitutions:

4 lb Pork Tenderloin Half (marinated in onions/garlic - purchased at Costco)

1 packet of pork gravy mix (couldn't find a low sodium one)

10 oz water
    1.5 lbs of red potatoes, cut into even pieces

1 Large onion, large chopped

3/4 lb Carrots (3 Large), large chopped

After cooking, I seperated the pork loin and veggies from the sauce and thickened it with cornstarch on the stove to make a yummy gravy. DH LOVED it!!!

I ran it thru mastercook and it came out at 9 pts per serving for 8 servings. It didn't seem like it would be that filling from looking at it, but it was very satisfying. It was on the salty side though, so I would definitely recommend using a low-sodium gravy packet if you can find one. I'll definitely be making this one again!

I have another question:

I am wondering if anyone can come up with some substitutions for the salt issue. We need low-salt versions of food in our home, and I could use some help with that, if there are people familiar with cooking on the forum. Any suggestions are helpful, including options of using spices instead of packets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23