Thread: Scared to use crockpot

Hi Guys,

I got a crockpot and it's been sitting in my garage for over a year. I'm kinda scared to use it. Is there any risk with using one when no one is home? What if what you are making burns? Also, can you prepare everything the night before, put it in the crock stick it in the fridge and take it out in the morning? Thanks in advance!
    Jackie
    215/194.6/165/140

I have been using a crockpot for years. I have never had anything burn on me. You can make certain things up the night before in the crock put it in the fridge and pull the crock out in the morning and set it in the pot. I usually set it on low and let it cook all day. Hope this helps. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Replies

The slow cooker was designed for "cooking all day while the cook is away" I love mine, I have 3 I use all the time. There should be a recipe book with you Crock Pot, get it out and try a recipe while you're home and see how wonderfully simple it is.. and how great it turns out! Good luck!! You'll love it once you try it.
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

Hi, I have 4 crocks, and there is usually at least one running in my house most days. I have never had any problem, and it isn't something I ever worry about.

Hope this helps!

Hugs,
    Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

NewMeIn2003 Guest

My husband is ultra concerned about safety, fire etc. He doesn't mind me using the crock. I go out an leave it going. I just make sure it is not leaning near anything, and that it is pulled out to the middle of the counter, not pushed up near the back wall. I figure if DH is OK with it, I am too. You'd have to know my DH to really understand. He is REALLY safety concious. I would say don't worry and use it. But, if it is just going to ruin your day with worry, than try some other way of cooking your recipes. I hope this helps. Hugs. Janet

Hi,

Thanks guys! I'm going to try a recipe or two this weekend, while I'm home, just to be safe. I'll let you know how it goes. Take care!!! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Jackie
    215/194.6/165/140

arangel Guest

Since I'm a working mom, I thought to go out and get a crockpot. Thankfully I found an inexpensive one that DH couldn't possible argue over since he doesn't think the food will come out good. At least this way we can try it for ourselves since I love the thought of the convenience of it!

But I also purchased a timer for it since I was nervous about running it and letting it overcook. Usually I'm away from the house for over 9 hours and most recipes I've found are for less than that. Do you think using a timer would work? I'd just have to keep the crock on the on position and then the power would turn on the time I wanted it to be on for and the length of time.

Replies

From http://southernfood.about.com/librar...lfaq.htm#timer

Can I use a timer on my slow cooker?

A timer will allow you to cook a dish requiring 6 hours even though you will be away for 8 hours. Make sure all ingredients are chilled, and for safety, start the cooking no longer than 2 hours later. For poultry, no longer than 1 hour later. The cooked food should not stand for longer than 2 hours after the cooking time ends.

Another alternative for a dish requiring a short cooking time is to cook it the night before, cool for no longer than 2 hours, and refrigerate. Heat it in the microwave the next day.

HTH,
    Cathy

NewMeIn2003 Guest

Jackie, have you tried your crock yet. I am curious? Janet

Hi,

Funny that you should ask. The crock pot is on for the first time right now!! I convinced my husband that we should use it, but he only wants to use it if we are home. So today is our trial run!!! I am cooking the salsa chicken. Hopefully it'll come out okay. I'll let you guys know.

NewMeIn2003 Guest

If it works out, check out LegalEagles Deli Chicken Crock recipe it is AWESOME. Janet

Hi,

It worked out great!! Boy was the salsa chicken good!!! Thanks for all the posts!!

Hi,

It worked out great!! Boy was the salsa chicken good!!! Thanks for all the posts!!