Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creamy Italian Chicken

Hey Dawna (or anybuddy) - did you do this with frozen chicken or defrosted? Just wondering if I start with frozen, if it's gonna be too much liquid by the time I put the soup/cream cheese mixture in the pot.....

Char

Replies

Hello youcandoit! Thank you for this creamy yummy recipe. Sounds too good to be diet food! Can't wait to try it. 5 points sounds fair to me. Thanks again, Kristy

Char, Yes, I put the chicken in direct from the freezer (I always do that), & the sauce was extra thick.

One thing, zap the cream cheese in the micro. (30 seconds on high) so that it will mix well with the chicken soup. This concoction needs to be mixed together really well to get the full flavor of the "gravy". The first time I made it, I took the time to do the above, the second time, I didn't bother, and the gravy was still good, but not great as it had been the first time.

I'm making this again tomorrow.

Dawna

Thanks, Dawna! I did use defrosted chicken this time, but next time I won't bother.

I had just stirred the soup mixture into the pot a few minutes before coming here to check BCB posts, and luckily, I had thought to do what you suggested, I nuked the cream cheese to soften it so it would blend well with the soup! Great minds think alike, right?!

We'll be chowing into it in about 35 minutes. I can't wait, it sure does smell good!

Char

Hi Char, Yes, I can smell it too!LOL I'll be smelling it tomorrow.

When you said you were having dinner shortly, I thought, boy she eats late, and then I remembered where you are from...3 hours behind me. A little slow on the uptake here.

Seriously, please let us all know how you like it.

Have to run now to watch Six Feet Under.

Bon Appetit!
    Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Well YUM YUM YUM on this recipe! Very decadent tasting. I did serve it with bulgur, and oven-roasted eggplant sprinkled with garlic salt, onion powder, and crumbled dried basil.

I will definitely make it again and probably wouldn't change a thing about it!

Yep, I have to wait an extra 3 hours before I get to eat my dinner! [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img] But it was worth it!

Char

Hi, [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] I just knew you would love it. As I said, I'm making it again today, and I can't wait for dinner.

That eggplant you made sounds great. Is it 0=P?
    Would you mind posting the directions for it...I would really appreciate it. I don't know much about cooking eggplant, and DH loves it. I only have one recipe for it that he likes, but yours sounds like something I would like to try.

Thanks... [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

Have a great OP day!
    Dawna

P.S. I envy you for living where you do!
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds yummy!

Lemondrop

Hi Dawna! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Sorry, I just now came back to this thread. The eggplant is SO easy! Buy a large firm shiny eggplant. Wash it. Cut off the stem cap, then slice it into 1/2" thick rounds.

Preheat your oven to 425* and spray a nonstick baking sheet with olive oil flavored spray. Place the eggplant in a single layer on the sheet, and spray the tops of IT with the spray too. Sprinkle on a little garlic salt and whatever else you may like - normally I just use the garlic salt alone, but for use with the creamy Italian chicken, I also used a little onion powder and some crumbled dried basil.

Once the oven is hot, pop it in there, and check it after about 10 minutes. The bottom should be starting to brown. Once it's brown to your liking on the bottom, flip it over and brown a little more. Usually this takes me about 20 minutes total, and yes, it IS 0 points per serving!

This method works equally well on every veggie I've ever tried it on - bell peppers, portobella mushrooms, quartered onions, halved and lightly steamed Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and my personal fave - fresh grean beans. If you do a variety of veggies in one oven load, (and I usually do, with 2 nonstick sheets) you may have to remove some veggies sooner than others - you want them to be just turning brown.

Have fun!

Char

Thanks Char, I'm going to try this with some portobello mushrooms I have, and when I go shopping again, I'm going to try it with eggplant.
    DH loves anything with eggplant.

Dawna [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

Wow is this good and easy too!! My cream cheese was a bit lumpy. I put it in microwave to soften as suggested, but still found it hard to stir up.

None the less it was delish!! We had it over egg noodles and will be having it again soon.
    Sincerely,
    Carla
    ~Food wasted is better than food waisted!

~Iceberg lettuce is perhaps the most aptly named plant in the world and should be avoided as though you were the Titanic with a second chance.

Bump! For anyone who might have missed this.

This is one good meal.

Dawna

Replies

Thanks for bumping this one up! I never saw it and am in a "comfort food mood" This will really fill the bill. Just ran a copy and heading to the kitchen to pull some chicken breasts from the freezer.

Praying for God's Guidance on this 9/11 anniversary for all our leaders and heros in the fight to return sanity to our world.
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

Gotta give this one a try. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Replies

Absolutley delicious!!! DH's eyes rolled back in his head as he made happy sounds.. lol
    He asked if this came from BCB and I told him yes, he said... "Keep getting recipes there! They're all great!" [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] That's a mouth full coming from him, I love to cook, have owned a restaurant, catered and still love to spend the day in the kitchen. When I went OP it was so hard to imagine meals like this one being so wonderful and low points too.. [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img] BCB has been so wonderful helping me to adapt my cooking to our new healthy lifestyle! Thanks buddies!!! [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

Kansalaura,

Your post about your husb. gave me a chuckle. I thought my DH was the only one that made those "happy sounds" during eating time. LOL

Hugs,
    Dawna

Mine too! My DH makes all kinds of "mmmmmmmmmm" happy sounds when I make this chicken dish, and he REALLY made them when I made the Balsamic Reduction for our salads - haven't heard THAT much "mmmmmmmmmmm'ing" in a LONG time!

Char

Oh YUM! I made this for the first time last night and it was SO good!!!!! I think the next time, I will make it with pasta as well!

Thanks for sharing!
    Christine
    [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    208.2/169.5/144
    SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Replies

My DH loved this so much he went rooting through the fridge several days later hoping to "find some of that wonderful chicken you made the other night!" It is awesome!!
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

Replies

Bump. I am making this for dinner tonight with egg noodles and broccoli.
    Cherie-Making changes to last a lifetime.

Thanks for bumping this one up. It is FANTASTIC. It tastes so rich. I had it over bulgur with asparagus. DH also loved it. That is really rare..

Sarah

thanks for posting this sounds so good. gonna go out tonight and get the stuff to make it over the weekend . [img]smile.gif[/img]

Replies

Does anyone have any experience with leaving this to cook for several (like, 8 or so) hours on low? I did the sour cream salsa crockpot chicken for 8+ hours and it was fine, but the ingredients differ quite a bit in this recipe.

I work all day, and I wouldn't be able to only cook it for 3 hours ... maybe this is just a dish I should try on the weekend when I'm home?

Replies
    Blog Entries

Antoy,

I've made it by slow cooking it for 8 hours or so in the CP. The only change is to add the cream cheese are the very end, about an hour to a 1/2 hour or so before you are ready to eat it. If you add the cheese in at the beginning it will seperate weirdly.

I love this recipe and have made it several times Pre-OP with the full fat ingredients.
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

This is a great meal...the chicken is juicy & the sauce is wonderful! This is definitely a "keeper" in the recipe book!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast