Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Deli Roasted Chicken

I made this over the weekend in my 7qt. Oval crock. It was fabulous! Really,really, easy and unbelievably good...a real find.

I found this wonderful recipe at yahoo groups.

1 chicken (I cooked a 9 pounder)
    spray olive oil
    Lawry's seasoned salt -no substitutes
    Aluminum foil

Clean chicken inside and out. Spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with Lawry's. Spray inside of crock with pam.
    Note: Do not put any water in the crock

Roll some wads of aluminum foil into balls and put them in the bottom of the crock. The chicken is going to sit on these.

Put chicken back side down in crock on top of aluminum balls.

Cook on High (will not come out the same on low), 4-6 hours.

Note: the person who posted this recipe said you had to use the aluminum to get the deli taste. I didn't believe it then, but boy do I now!
    This chicken tasted very close to one you would buy, precooked, in the deli section of your supermarket.

Now before you pooh..pooh..this one, give it a try.

Dawna

One more thing, before you ask "why only on high"..the taste won't be the same if you cook it on low. I can vouch for this.
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I'm going to try this - I'd love to duplicate those roasted chickens!! But, do you think I could use already cut up pieces? What kind of adjustment for length of cooking time do you think? Thanks for the recipe!
    JO

MAINTAINING FOR 11 YEARS 0 Months!!

IF YOU NEVER LEAVE, YOU NEVER HAVE TO COME BACK

Hi Jo, Yes, this is quite a recipe. With the whole chicken, it tasted very close to the deli chickens from the supermarket.

I don't know if you will get that same taste from cut up chicken. As far as time goes, I know it can only be cooked on high to get the same taste. If you use a 3, 1/2 qt. crock, and pack it tight, I would still use 4-6 hours.

BTW, I had some of the chicken left, so tonight I am making a ww chicken pot pie. If it comes out good I will post it after dinner for everyone. Only 5 points/serving. So far, it looks great, and I don't think I can miss with the delicious chicken leftovers.

Let me know what you think if you make the deli chicken.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

OOOHHH this sounds so good I am off to the store to find a large whole chicken. How will I know the points?
    Thanks
    Vickie

Vicki, White meat from the chicken, with no skin, is 1=point/ounce.

I made another one over the weekend. This one came out even better. I put a thermometer in it while it was cooking, so I could just look through the glass top to see when it registered done.
    Be careful not to overcook it so it doesn't dry out, especially where it can only be cooked on high.

Dawna

Vicki, White meat from the chicken, with no skin, is 1=point/ounce.

I made another one over the weekend. This one came out even better. I put a thermometer in it while it was cooking, so I could just look through the glass top to see when it registered done.
    Be careful not to overcook it so it doesn't dry out, especially where it can only be cooked on high.

Dawna

I made this with a turkey breast this weekend and it turned out delicious!!!! It was so moist. Highly recommend this recipe!!!!
    You have to have a dream to have a dream come true

272/146

Hi Quilting Lady, Glad you liked it. It is one of our favorites.

Dawna

autumnbskt Guest

Hi everyone. This recipe sounds de--lish! I love the deli roasted chickens! I only have a 4 qt crock pot though, do you think it would work in a westbend electric roaster that sits on the counter? If so how long would I cook it for, and at what temperature? It does have a wire rack to keep if off the bottom. Do you think I would still need the foil? phew! I think that is enough for now!

Lana

penguinkeeper2000 Guest

sounds WONDERFUL!!!!

I can't wait to try it. I love those deli chickens.

Hi Lana,

With regard to the deli-chicken, I have only made it in my 7 qt. oval crock. I'm not sure how it would come out if you cooked it in something else.

I'm sure you could use a 4-qt.crock, however, you would have to get a much smaller chicken. My 7 qt. oval holds an 8-9 pound chicken. I also cook turkey in it. It cost $39.99 at K-Mart (that is the only place I have seen it), and it is worth every penny.

Now, as for the foil....all I can tell you is that before I got this recipe, I tried cooking the chicken without foil and just sitting on an
    insert I put in the crock. The chicken did not taste like the deli-chicken. In fact, everyone complained that the chicken had a different consistency than when it is cooked in the oven. No one liked it. Once I found the deli-chicken recipe, I was off to the races. Everyone raves about it.

Also, since I am not too crazy about using the drippings from the pan that the foil has been sitting in, I have come up with a terrific, pointed of course, gravy to go with the deli-chicken. I'm going to post it now.

later......Dawna

autumnbskt Guest

Thank you Dawna,

Guess I may be off to K-Mart! There are many many times I wish I had a larger crock pot. Now seems like as good of time as any!

Interesting about the foil huh?

Lana

Hi Lana, Good idea about picking up one of those 7 qt. crocks. Just make sure it is an Oval one.

BTW, I have a 1.5-points/slice bread baking in my ABM right now(it's made with fat-free yogurt). I can barely wait until it's done. If it comes out good, it will be the lowest pointed one I have made yet. So far, it smells great, and it's really rising well (also had a great dough ball).
    If it's a keeper you will see it posted later on this evening. Keep your fingers crossed.

later.....Dawna

Replies

O M G [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img] I made this today...Ummmmmmm...I can't believe how good it was! We weren't planning on eating it for dinner tonight, DH & I are both taking it for lunch tomorrow, but we couldn't help tasting it. Yummmmm!!! Our grocery stores have whole chickens on sale for $.49/pound. this whole chicken cost me only $2! I'm going to stock up on chickens now! It was so easy, and so tasty! Thanks for the recipe! [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.
    Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
    Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
    Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
    Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
    Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

What a delicious recipe!! I just sampled mine and can't wait for DH to come home to have dinner; of course he's running late so I have it wrapped up in tinfoil out of the crockpot. Thanks for a terrific recipe!!
    Currently postpartum pre pregnancy weight l42/post baby l84/current weight 143/ goal l40 ww goal l40<br />Lifetime member since 9/l9/00<br /><br />KarinC.<br />"To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, if you summon the will to get back in the race."

If you like this, take a peek at the gravy recipe I make for it. I rarely eat gravy, however, my family likes it. It bothered me to be making gravy that foil had been sitting in. The gravy recipe I posted for this is delicious, easy, and, of course, pointed.

I believe I posted it in this section.

Bon Appetit!
    Dawna

autumnbskt Guest

Hi Dawna,

Just thought I would stop by and let you know that I tried this chicken on Sunday and Man o Man was it good! so Juicy and tender. I could not believe how close to the deli chicken it tasted. I have not pruchased the oval crock pot yet, so I stuffed a 6 pound chicken in my 4 qt crock pot. (on end, and it just made it) Only sad part was the next day my DH left the container of chicken on the counter after re-heating some for dinner & left the room for a few moments and our DD (dear dog!) got the rest of it before any body else did. Well I guess I am going to stock up on whole chickens now! Also I think I will hold out on buying a crock pot locally because I saw one on QVC for the Cooks Essentials line that I really like. It's an 8-qt oval crockpot with an automatic shift as well

Later!
    Lana

Hi Lana,

Glad you liked it. I know it's a real find.

Hey, an 8 qt. oval??? How can I not know about that? Was it by Rival?

BTW, did you try the gravy that I posted to go with the deli chicken or did you not have gravy with it.

later...........Dawna

autumnbskt Guest

Good Morning Dawna,

The crock pot is not by Rival. It's by "Cooks Essentials" which I think may be made exclusively for QVC??? Check it out, go to www.QVC.com and do a search. The Item # is k-73949 and is $39.84 You can also type in "Cooks essentials" and everything offered in the Cooks essentials line will be listed. I just purched the Stainless steel pots and pans and I absolutely love them.

As for the gravy, I did not try it this time but will probably try it next. I really love gravy! I pour it on everything, even my veges sometimes! Oh!

Well now my mouth is watering for more chicken and it's only 7:55 am ..........gotta go by me another chicken!

Lana

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

Hi!
    I know I've heard alot about concerns of using aluminum foil. Can anyone tell me if this could pose a danger? I know that they have shown a link between aluminum and alzheimers. I saw a Martha Stewart show where she mentioned that she never lets the aluminum foil come in direct contact with her food. She made a recipe that called to be wrapped in aluminum foil and she put parchment paper between the foil and the food. I doubt this would work here-no clue really. This recipe sounds so good-would love to try but concerned about aluminum.
    Janet

Hi there, I also got that insulated bag with my crock. You are going to love this crockpot!

The only concern I have about the aluminum foil is that I would not want to use any of the liquid from this recipe that has had the foil in it. That's why I came up with the gravy for it.

Happy Valentine's Day!

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Dawna

WCFD52 Guest

Well Dawna...you convinced me to go K-Mart and buy the Rival 7 quart crock pot just so I could make this chicken!! My crock also came with a free travel bag to keep things warm if you are taking it somewhere, so that was an added bonus for the same price (gotta love free stuff ).

I have not heard any concerns regarding the use of aluminum foil and I use it quite often, so I would also be interested in any comments about that.

I will post Friday night to let you know how my family votes on the deli chicken and I even copied down your gravy recipe too. Thanks so much and keep those great crock pot recipe's coming - I now have two of them to put to good use!!

[img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

WCFD52 Guest

Good Morning Dawna:

I have one question about the instructions you gave for making this chicken. You said to put the chicken in the crock pot "back side down". Does this mean that the top of the chicken (breast) goes in the bottom or am I just confused?

I plan on having this for dinner so I will be starting it in the next 2 or 3 hours. I also have an almost 9 pound chicken. Do you think this would need more cooking time or will 6 hours on high be enough?

Thanks

Hi, The back side down thing is the way the recipe described it. I also found this confusing, however, I just take it to mean that the underpart of the chicken should be touching the foil.

Do you have a thermometer? This is what I put in my chickens to tell when they are done. For 9 pounds I would probably allow another 30 mins. or so, that is, if you are not using the thermometer

You are not using a frozen chicken, right?

On another completely different topic, I am trying to figure out if I should put down points for Salsa. Do you know? If you do, would you please go over to Cybergranny's and tell me. That is where I posted the question.

Thanks............
    Dawna

P.S. Pls. let me know how the chicken comes out.

WCFD52 Guest

Hi Dawna -

I am fuming mad

I came home expecting my whole house to smell great and it didn't??? The crock pot is defective and only cooked the chicken a little bit so now it's in the oven to finish cooking for tomorrow's dinner. I guess we will be eating out tonight!!

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the salsa, so I will go over to the other forum and see if I can help.

I will be sure to let you know how it turns out when I get a crock pot that works!!!!

Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast