Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deli Roasted Chicken

That's terrible! I hope you still have the receipt for the crock. I have read more than once lately about crock pots that are defective. What's up with that??

Pls. don't give up.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

WCFD52 Guest

Hi Dawna -

Just wanted to let you know that even though I had the bad experience with the crock pot and had to finish cooking the chicken in the oven - it was so juicy and tasted delicious - so it must have been the way it was prepared that made the difference. That was even after being in frige overnight because we didn't actually eat it until tonight. Thanks so much for the recipe. I am sure this will be enjoyed many more times in my house!!

Also the recipe you posted for the chicken gravy is wonderful. It seems so much healthier than making it the old fashioned way with all that grease but it still had a nice flavor. The only thing I added was a little bit of Gravy Master to darken it up a bit. "Wonderful" is all I can say about my dinner tonight.

By the way, I did save the receipt for the crock pot and it is going back tomorrow for a new one.

Thanks again

[img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

OOOOOh My! I didn't think it was possible, didn't think it was true, but this is one tasty and juicy bird. Thanks, Dawna for posting!

Cheryl
    "You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." Harold Hill, The Music Man

Replies

Dawna: I have to say I had my doubts about this one, but it's truly a keeper. DH loved it. What I want to know is what do you do with the aluminum? Can you keep the balls and reuse them?? JK!

Incidentally, I made mine into tubes in the bottom of my crock. Worked fine.
    JeanetteSki

Hi Jeannette, I originally had my doubts about this one too, but I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

With regard to the alum. foil, you're joking right? I don't even touch them with my hands. I use kitchen tongs to remove them from the crock.

Seriously, I have had food poisoning twice in my lifetime. Once from pork chops and another time from nasty liver. Both times I ended up in the hospital, praying to die. I don't take any chances since then.

later.......Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

Hi LegalEagle,
    I am trying the chicken recipe for dinner tonight. I only have a wimpy little 4 1/2 qt oval crockpot so I had to use a smaller chicken. About 4 lb. (I have never seen a 10 lb chicken before, it must look like a turkey) so I am going to check it with my instant read thermometer at about 3-4 hours. I love deli chickens and they are SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive!!!!!!!! It will be nice to have a lower cost alternative and also be able to control the points.
    Wish me luck!
    Susan [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Hi Susan, I'm sure it will still be delicious, as long as you use the foil. Note: I haven't quite figured out why that makes such a difference, but, hey! who am I to question. I, too, have loved those deli chickens for a long time, but, they are expensive.

Yes, the 9 pound chickens I buy are large. They are by Purdue. 8-9 pound is the limit on what my 7 qt. will hold. Boy, are the leftovers great!

Let me know how it comes out, please.

Bye... [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Dawna

Replies

Just out of curiosity...do you think the foil really does something to the flavor? or is it just to keep the chicken out of the juices?? Hmmmmmmm

BTW, I can't wait to make this one again. DD made it yesterday and her DH loved it...ate the whole darn bird!!! [img]graemlins/clown.gif[/img]
    Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.
    Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
    Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
    Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
    Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
    Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

Replies

Okay, I can see I am going to have to buy stock in the aluminum foil company cause I am going to be buying a lot of foil!! The chicken was WONDERFUL! We all loved it. Had it with some fresh green beans and new baby potatoes. I didn't worry about gravy or anything cause it was so juicy. I had to cook a smaller chicken because I have a smaller crockpot. It was done perfectly in about 4 hours. I wonder if you could cook a roast this way? The one thing that kind of turns me off about crockpot cooking sometimes is the mushy consistancy of the meat, but this was great. Tender and juicy but not mushy at all. I've already told my family and friends they have to try it.
    Thanks for all your great recipes
    Susan
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Hi Sharon, With regard to the foil...all I know is that before I used it, I got different, sort-of mushy textured, chicken that no one was too crazy about eating. Once I found this recipe, everything changed. Personally, I think it is a combination of things...the spice, cooking on high, the oval shape of the crock, and yes, probably the foil as well.

Hey..with all of this talk about this recipe, I realize I haven't made it in a while. I'm going to make it myself again over the weekend.

Have a great OP day!
    Dawna

Replies

I'm making this for my MIL tonight...let's see how SHE likes it. (She thinks I've finally :rolleyes: turned out to be such a good cook %$#@)
    Author unknown

Replies

I made "deli turkey breast" tonight in my 4 1/2 qt crockpot tonight. I used the foil balls, like with the chicken but altered the spices- used some hickory smoked salt, garlic and poultry seasoning, and sprinkled it with paprika to make it look pretty. It was the best turkey breast we have ever eaten. It took about 6 hours to cook ( I think it might have been slightly frozen when I put it in) and it was juicy and tender. The only thing is that the skin does not get crispy, which is actually a plus for me cause then I'm not tempted to eat it. Had that for dinner and the magic pudding for dessert! It was a great dinner!!
    Susan
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I made this for dinner tonight. I have never used my crockpot before and I never cooked a whole chicken before. I can't believe how easy and delicious it was. My whole family loved it. Thanks a million!

Barbara

Replies

This deserves a bump! Great stuff!

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] I read and tried this while I was still lurking.

This was a hit with my husband who is not a fan of chicken. IMHO its To Die For. Make it as often as I think he will willingly eat chicken.

Have a great day.... [img]smile.gif[/img] Marlene

This is soooo good!! I put the chicken on before church this morning and when we came home it was done! I served it with Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild rice and Green Giant Broccoli w/ Lowfat Cheese Sauce. PERFECT!! Thank you so much for posting this!
    Tara

Ok, I must tell all of you what I did, so no one will make this mistake, I only have a 2 1/2 qt. crock pot, I followed the recipe to a tee, but I had to stuff a chicken in the crock, well, my **** is so small and the fit was so tight that the chicken about boiled in it's own juices! LOL, I went to pull it our for dinner and it fell apart and then I had chicken soup! It smelled fantastic though! I have now put an 8qt crock pot on my bday list! Hopefully I will get one so I can try this again!

Nikki
    ***********************************<br />5' 2"<br />Starting 183.6 (size 16-18)<br />Current 153.0 (size 12)<br />Goal 130.0 <br /><br />"Take one day at a time, no guilt, and move on"

Nik-Your WHAT is so small? [img]graemlins/embarrassed.gif[/img]
    You have to have a dream to have a dream come true

272/146

Replies

:eek: [img]graemlins/clown.gif[/img] Now, now, quilting lady!!! I had to go back and read Nikki's post, and OMG, I'm ROFL [img]graemlins/embarrassed.gif[/img] Too funny, but I didn't even notice it the first time!!!

Anyhow, this has become a staple in my home. And Wednesday, I made a turkey breast in the crock. Sooooooo good, I'll never do it in the oven again! (get your mind out of the gutter please! [img]graemlins/embarrassed.gif[/img] ) I tried putting the aluminum foil in it, but the turkey is too big, so it did sit in it's own juices. So so good!!! [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Author unknown

innesfree Guest

Well, I guess I must have done something wrong. After reading all the posts raving about the deli chicken, I went out and bought the 6.5 quarter oval Rival Smart Crock to cook a whole chicken. I couldn't log on to my ISP to check the recipe in the morning so I went from memory. I think the only thing I did wrong was use regular Pam instead of the olive oil kind. I made balls of aluminum foil and put them on the bottom of the crock and added a whole chicken that was about 5 pounds. I then set the crock to cook on high for 4 hours and it then sets itself to "keep warm" for the rest of the day.

The chicken I made was kind of dry and had a rather unusual taste to it. It was OK but I wouldn't call it a favorite of mine.

Any guesses on what I did wrong? Should I have used a bigger chicken? Would the Pam instead of olive oil make the difference in taste?

I will try this again but next time I will buy a bigger chicken and do it with a fresh chicken. This chicken had been frozen in my freezer for awhile. I also should do it on a weekend when I am home so that it only cooks for 4 hours.

Wendy

Replies

Ok buddies, I am trying this tommorow, it sounds soo good, I am in the middle of moving so i have to find my crock pot.Mine is not oval but round, and it is big though.I only have a 5 lbs bird soo, pray that it works, it just sounds delish.
    ~~~~~Barbie~~~~
    Not giving up~~~~~

Can I do this without skin? Can I take the skin off prior to cooking?
    Jamie<br /><br />"The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become." <br />-- Ashley Montagu

Jamie, personally I wouldn't skin the bird prior to cooking because it helps keep the meat from drying out with the skin intact.

Just skin the piece you are gonna eat, the points are the same whether you skin it before or after!

Char

I agree with Char. I think this dish wouldn't be the same if you cooked it without the skin. Too dry!

Dawna

Char, thanks for the info...

Hmmm... Only problem, I hope I can control myself if the skin gets nice and crispy, yum!
    Jamie<br /><br />"The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become." <br />-- Ashley Montagu

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast