Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAVAJO BEEF & CHILI

Replies

I fixed this Saturday and it was very good. My DH is already asking for a repeat! I also added 3 TBSP of corn meal.

Thanks for giving this recipe.

Tonight I have a single serving from the freezer and decided to add 1/2 cup of black beans to the mixture--it was wonderful and makes a huge serving for a total of 7 points.
    215/155/160 <br />Start day 8/06/01<br />Achieved goal 4/22/02!

Replies

I finally tried this and all I can say is WOW! So easy and delicious. I added a can of small white beans (additional 3 points) and a small can of tomato sauce (0) along with some FRank's hot sauce. So filling and yummy!! I'd definitley make this one again!!!
    Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

I made this too. I couldn't find 'mexican corn' (don't think we have it in Canada)...and I'm not much of a corn person in Chile.

So, I omitted the corn - I diced up 1/2 green pepper and 1/2 red pepper in it's place.

It was delicious! I'll be making this again.
    Allie<br />Recommitted 01/05/04<br />282.0/272.5/working on 250<br /><br />"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson<br /><br />"Light is the task when many share the toil." - Homer

Replies

This is definetly a keeper in my house!! We have had it once a week since I started making it. SO easy and SO good. Thank you for posting it!!- Kim

I made this tonight for dinner. It was a delicious success. Thanks for another great recipe.

Barbara

Replies

I've just received a slow cooker for a gift, and can't wait to try it out. Already had plans for tonites tea, but are baking spuds and carrots in it...hope they turn out ok!

Do you have to use cornmeal, can you substitute cornflour instead? No one in my family will eat it if I use cornmeal to thicken.

Thanks in advance [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    *~* biz *~*

Do or do not .. there is no try!

LOL! When I got home, DH had arrived ahead of me. He was coming out the front door with his tongue hanging out, stating, "It's BRUTAL in there!" As soon as I opened up the front door, I knew what he meant - the smell was heavenly!

I made this pretty much according to the recipe with the following exceptions: I cut up the beef last night, put it in a Ziploc bag, and sprinkled in an envelope of dry onion soup mix. (I did this before knowing WHAT I was going to make, for sure - I had thought crockpot stroganoff, originally.) I used the Zesty Tomatoes (that are canned with green chilies) instead of just diced tomatoes. I was, sadly, out of oregano, so I used dried cilantro in its place. Otherwise I did what the recipe said, subbing the 3 tablespoons of cornmeal at the end as Dawna suggested.

Well, this is very tasty indeed, albeit a little mild for our palates - we're used to some pretty spicy stuff! I had to give my own serving a few shots of Frank's Red Hot Sauce. Next time I'll use a small can of diced jalapenos in addition to the mild green chilies, and may omit the canned corn, as neither DH nor I is overly fond of it.

I served this alongside some sliced, panfried green chile and cilantro flavored polenta and had some nice homegrown sliced tomatoes with my own Balsamic Reduction over them. All in all I'd say it was worthy of a repeat!

So thanks again, Dawna, this one with a couple modifications to suit our own tastes is a definite KEEPER! [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]

Char

Well, with all these outstanding raves, I must try this recipe this week!!! I love using my crock pot(I just got a new one that let's me choose how long to cook 4,6,8,or 10hrs. before it turns to warm) really nice. It makes things easier for dinner when I come home from school. Thanks for the great recipe. I'll let you know how the family likes it.

Lori [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    100lbs gone on 6-16-06

SW 284.6/CW 174.4/WWGW 150/PGW 135
    110.2 lbs Gone Forever!!!!
    Intentions make all the difference. Being mindful and attentive to your inner state is key to making outward changes that matter and last.

Friendlybyte Guest

Sounds great!! [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] Can't wait to try it! Now if it would just get a little cooler outside!! Was in the 90's today!! :eek: I want fall weather now!

Have a great OP day!
    Cindy~*

heidi_g Guest

bump

TTT

Just a note on this one as an alternative cooking method!

I had a beautiful hunk of London broil (top round) yesterday, but it was too late to start it in the crockpot for this recipe - so I got out my trusty 8 quart pressure cooker and did it in THERE!

I was rather surprised at how WELL it turned out - I mean, I figured the meat would be tender, but what didn't occur to me beforehand is that it would be totally permeated with the spices in this sauce. Usually to me this kind of stuff is better the next day, after the flavors have a chance to blend, but it was absolutely delicious and tender to boot!

So if you're in a hurry for this for supper and you have a pressure cooker, put it in there on High pressure for 40 minutes, let the pressure drop naturally, and enjoy!

Char

Thumbs up

to the top!

Replies

Default Re: NAVAJO BEEF & CHILI

I made this tonight for the second time. It was great both times. Everyone had theirs over rice, I had mine over couscous. I love it and it's CORE! WooHoo!
    Mary

16. Default Re: NAVAJO BEEF & CHILI

Sounds Delicious! Printing it up, it sounds like a great Autumn Meal!
    :bcbsalute MT
    MT

Parham91x2 Guest

***************bump******************

Looking for a new recipe- this sounds good. Thought it was funny how many people didn't have cornmeal as a staple. Guess it's a southern thing! Don't use it very often, but it's always here!
    DAWN

SW 157/ CW 136.2 / GW 137/ PGW 130

Made Goal 1/7/06
    Made Lifetime 2/18/06

http://www.picturetrail.com/newlifern

Replies

Kinda bumping this up. I have made this a couple times and forgot how good it is. I have some homemade polenta that this would be great served over.

YUM
    SW (2/11/05): 185.8

CW (4/12/05): 173.2

GOAL: 135 - 38.5 to go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12