Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

1. Default Re: Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

Pezhead~After you spray the crock, put in the chicken and sprinkle the taco seasoning, put the salsa in straight from the jar. Put the cover on the crock-pot and turn it on. This is so delicious for such a simple meal. I usually serve it over shredded lettuce, toped with chopped fresh tomatoes and onions...and if we have the available points, some grated cheddar and sliced black olives. Hope you enjoy!
    MT
    MT

Default Re: Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

ok, so let me get this straight ... I put in the chicken, taco seasoning and salsa. When do I add sour cream? Thanks so much for the help. I'm planning to make this this weekend. My DH doesn't like sourcream but I won't tell him what is in it and I bet he'll love it.

After the chicken is done, remove and then add the sour cream to make a creamy sauce. This recipe is SO GOOD!
    Elaine
    SW: 142 (10/31/06)
    CW: 130 (1/29/10)
    GW: 125

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/elainepaulsen

I tried this a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty good. I'm thinking that next time, I'm going to pull the chicken out, shred it up and use it in tortillas mixed with the sauce. I think it would be delicious that way.
    HW 251.8 SW 237.5 (03/18/13) CW 225.8 (4/15/13) GW 165 (tenative)

NurseAudrey Guest

This recipe is beyond good, it is delicious! I was shocked at how yummy it turned out, and it totally satisfies my cravings for one of my favorite mexican restaurant foods: pollo a la crema. It tastes almost exactly like it, if not better!

I modified the recipe a little, but using the same ingredients. I used more sour cream than was in the recipe (a small 8 oz container) of reduced fat sour cream (Fred Meyer/Kroger brand), that worked out to 2 pts per serving. I also did whole chicken breasts instead of tenders. I also increased the salsa from 1 C to 1.5 cups, and omitted the corn starch.

As the previous poster mentioned, this would be a great shredded chicken dish with tortillas, fat free refried beans, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, etc. This had become one of my all-time favorite crock pot recipies!

bumping up to try this week
    ~ Pam ~
    homeschooling mom to 3 girls
    "It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

I've only read through the first and last pages of this thread so I'm not sure if this has been pointed out or not. I put this recipe in both Mastercook and WW Recipe Builder and it comes out to 4 points per serving. That is with 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast. If the chicken is increased to 1.5 pounds the points go up to 5.

The orignial posting is a copy of a Mastercook recipe. You may have noticed that Mastercook always puts a disclaimer on the nutritional values saying it doesn't add in unrecognized ingredients. Someone with Mastercook who uses it to calculate points should check to verify that all the ingredients are in the Mastercook database. If any are listed as unrecognized they can be linked to another ingredient (such as the same thing only worded differently or even a very similar ingredient) so it will use that nutritional information. Or that specific item can be added to the MC database. This makes the nutritional information as accurate as possible. I don't think that was done with this recipe because the only way I could make it come out to 3 points was to leave the taco seasoning as unrecognized.

I thought those of you who are very careful with your points might appreciate knowing this. It's still a very good recipe and it is in my crockpot right now!
    Abby

SW: 285 (1/1/08)
    CW: 179

"Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time."

Replies

Dina...my cousin and I are both OP and we're getting together for Super Bowl. This sounds like a great dish to have for our party!

Replies

Bump! I am going to try this tonight... it seems simple and with all of these replies... how can this NOT be tasty??
    --J

SW 258
    CW - ??? - Day 1 back OP
    PGR 132-138

Replies

I made this last night - yummy. I had my husband try it and then told him that it was WW friendly. Since he said he liked it .... he has no choice but to eat it. My 12 year old daughter loved it to. My youngest did not want to try it.
    Roseann

Start:261.0 Current: Goal 150.00 (?)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.- Anonymous

11. Default Re: Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

I've made something similiar for "fajitas" by using chicken breast, taco seasoning mix, and a bottle of light beer. When cooked, I would wrap it in a flour tortilla with sour cream (FF), and sauteed onion and bell pepper. YUM!

This is one of my favorite dishes..I have even used it to make huge pans of encheladas for a party. I rolled the shredded chicken/salsa into corn tortillas and topped with enchilada sauce and 2% shredded cheese/ baked until bubbly. I didn't tell the partygoers but I knew the best dish to be had. Had to add points for the sauce and cheese, but for celebration food it was as healthy as I could get it and sneak it through.

My whole family loves this made as posted originally. But it can be made into so many things..chicken tacos, eaten as is, enchiladas it's a great dish
    Be your own best friend every day.

Replies

To the TOP!!
    Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.
    Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
    Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
    Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
    Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
    Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

14. Default Re: Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

This is still one of our favorite meals!!!
    MT
    Last edited by MoodyTripper; 10-25-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    MT

Been making this for years. Yesterday I made it with 16 oz. medium salsa and only half the pkg. of taco seasoning. Just before it was ready (when I took the chicken out to shred it) I added cilantro paste, cumin, and a couple of squirts of lime juice. Mixed it all up, then added the sour cream and shredded chicken and let it blend for about 30 minutes. Definitely the best ever!
    “May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night. May the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being. May you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life.”

16. Default Re: Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

Bumping up for a friend.
    MT

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie*Chickie View Post
    Want to make this recipe and don't have the taco seasoning on hand? here is a simple recipe I have used:
    2 Tsp. chili powder
    1 1/2 Tsp. paprika
    1 Tsp. onion powder
    1/2 Tsp. salt
    3/4 Tsp. garlic salt
    1 Dash red pepper
    This is equal to one pkg. of taco seasoning. If you wanted to cut down on the salt, use garlic powder instead of the garlic salt.
    Hugs,
    Brenda
    This is exactly what I needed since I already have a stocked fridge (and all the ingrediants for once! I've been stalking this one for a while!) and I don't want to run to the grocery store for taco seasoning. I'm planning to cook it for 5 hours on Low as some people suggested the chicken comes out dry if you cook it too long. Will report back on how it is!
    206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

Thanks Ru! I don't have taco seasoning at home but I can make the substitute! I think I may try it out this weekend, sounds yummy!!

Make sure to come back and let us know how it came out!

19. Default Re: Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

I'm not a salsa fan but i love this recipe! Delicious with rice and as leftover the next day

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78