Categories :

4 cups TVP -- rehydrated
    1 C. finely chopped onion
    2 shallots -- minced
    2 garlic cloves -- minced
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 Tbs. chili powder
    1 tsp. salt -- divided
    1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix -- (1.25-oz)
    3 C. water -- divided
    2 cups black beans, canned -- drained and rinsed (1 15-16 oz. can)
    1 1/4 cups tomatoes with green chilies -- (10-oz) undrained
    7 tablespoons chopped olives -- canned chopped (1 small flat can)
    1 cup zucchini -- cubed
    1 cup corn, canned -- (8¾-oz) drained
    Olive Oil flavored Cooking Spray
    1 Tbs. light butter
    1 C. yellow cornmeal
    1 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute -- lightly beaten

1. To Rehydrate TVP - mix well 2 cups dry TVP in 2 cups boiling water to which has been added 2 teaspoons vegetable or beef stock base and 1 teaspoon each chili powder and dried, crumbled oregano. Stir well and let stand 5 minutes.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Spray with olive oil flavored cooking spray. Add onion, shallots and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add TVP, cumin, chili powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and seasoning mix; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 C. water, black beans, tomatoes, olives, zucchini and corn, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into an 9 x 13-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

4. Combine remaining 2-1/2 C. water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and light butter in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add baking powder and eggbeaters, stir well. Pour cornmeal mixture over TVP mixture, spreading to edges of pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Description:
    "3 WW points per serving"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 190 Calories; 3g Fat (13.8% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 933mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Replies

Char: I'm printing this one out; can't wait to try it! I love Mexican!
    JeanetteSki

Char, This looks great & I have everything here to make it. I am going to use Boca Crumbles. Will let you know how we like it.

Thanks!
    Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I made this tonight using the Boca Burger. This dish is HUGE!! And it is quite tasty. My dh really liked the texture, he thought it was really ground beef in it.

Word of warning: Char is VERY generous with the chili powder--1 Tb. Being transplanted Californians, we liked it, but it cleared allergy impaired sinuses REAL fast. Thanks to Char, I can breathe again!! [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
    Note: I follow the Winning Points program

Hey, don't be a lightweight! Just kiddin' girlfriend!

In my own defense - it will make a difference depending on what KIND of chili powder you use. The good ol' chili powder you normally buy is a blend of chiles and other spices.

You can also buy chile powder (or ground chiles, nothing added) and THAT stuff can get pretty spicy, depending on what kind of chiles it's made from! It can make you [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img] for sure!

Glad you and DH liked this one, Julie! And it DOES make a lot, which is nice if you a) have 8 people to feed or 2) love leftovers!

Char

Replies

Char: I made this last week and I must say it does make a huge amount!! It was very good. However, next time I would put the cornmeal on the bottom since mine kind of dried out and got tough. Cornmeal on the bottom (kind of polenta style), TVP mixture on the top, and then you can dress it up with lettuce shreds, dice tomatoes, and some FF sour cream. Sort of an upside down tamale pie. I would also add some hamburger to the tvp mixture. This is the first time I tried straight TVP, and it did seem to have a different taste. DH didn't notice anything -- he'll also eat anything. But I noticed somewhat of a different taste. I'm thinking if I add like 1/2 lb. hamburger and decrease the TVP by 1/2C, it will only add like 1pt per serving, stretched out over those huge 8 servings.

I will definately be making this again; it's a keeper!
    JeanetteSki

Replies

I made this last night and it was a huge hit in our house. Next time I will make it even spicier!! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] DH and I are definitely not lightweights!

Thanks for the recipe, Char!

Cheryl

Just wanted to bump this up since it is SO GOOD!!! [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] from my whole family (DH and DD included)
    Laura
    Joined January 2002
    SW 266.6 Goal 165

Thumbs up

Bumping again for Rollercoaster
    Laura
    Joined January 2002
    SW 266.6 Goal 165

I made this for lunch today and it's awesome! Made such a huge portion and it was my first attempt at making something with TVP. I'll definitely be making this again