Thread: Cheesy Potato Boats

SuzyQ99 Guest

This is a great little EASY recipe.. we made it last night with the 1 point soup and a nice salad and were absolutely stuffed!!!
    I used yellow squash (0 points) and it still tasted like it had cheese in it! So yummy... Points vary depending on the size of the potatoes you use and the type of margarine. (I used FF Promise spread for 0 points)

Cheesey Potato Boats

Ingredients:
    4 large baking potatoes
    1/2 small butternut squash
    1/2 cup soy margarine
    sea salt
    pepper

Directions:
    My non-vegetarian boyfriend thought that I had flipped my lid when I made him these! They really taste like they have cheese in them!! And the color of the squash makes it look like it, too!
    Place baked potatoes in preheated 450* oven. Do not wrap in foil, you want the skin to be tough. Bake for one hour.
    While potatoes are cooking, steam or boil the butternut squash until tender (steamed is better). Drain the squash.
    Remove the spuds from the oven and cut in half. Scoop the guts out and put into a big bowl. Make sure that you leave about a 1/4" of potato attached to the skin. Add the cooked squash and margarine and a little sea salt, if you like. Mash it all together until you get the consistency of lumpy mashed potatoes.
    Place skin halves on baking sheet and scoop mixture back inside each skin. Place bake in oven for 10 minutes. For crispy tops, coat top with melted soy margarine and place under broiler for 3-5 minutes. Good eating!!!!!

Serves: 4-8
    Preparation time: 1 hr 15 min (includes baking time)

Replies

Sounds wonderful. I've been avoiding baked potatoes for some unknown reason. Wonder if I can still find some squash in the stores.. maybe in the frozen section.hummm....
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!