Thread: My Black Bean Burgers

Replies

Hi gals!

These are all from my new book and we eat these all the time. Tried and true and yummy!

VICKILYNN'S BLACK BEAN BURGERS # 3 (SPICY)

Recipe By :Vickilynn Haycraft - 2002
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 cups black beans, cooked
    6 slices whole wheat bread -- into crumbs - about 3 cups (for CORE - Sub cooked cereal or rolled oats)
    1 large onion -- diced fine
    3 large bell peppers -- red and yellow, diced fine
    4 ounces green chiles -- canned
    3 tablespoons tomato paste -- rounded
    2 teaspoons cilantro -- * or less to taste
    4 cloves garlic -- to taste
    3 tablespoons spicy mustard
    2 tablespoons horseradish
    1/4 cup dried chives
    1/2 tablespoon mustard powder -- to taste
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper -- to taste
    1/8 teaspoon chili powder
    2 tablespoons salt-free garlic and herb seasoning -- to taste
    1/16 teaspoon red pepper flakes -- *optional
    6 drops tabasco sauce -- * optional
    salt to taste -- * optional

Place cooked and drained black beans into a large mixing bowl and mash the beans.

Add remaining ingredients and mix well with hands, squeezing and working until all the
    ingredients are incorporated and the mixture is firm. Makes about 6 cups of mixture.

Divide into 16 portions by measuring a scant 1/2 cupful for each burger. The mixture may be too soft to handle, and it works best if the mixture is scooped up in the measuring cup, then "plopped" onto the cooking surface. Or use a 1/2 cup ice cream scooper, this works
    the best and is just the right size for a scant 1/2 cupful. Use 1 *rounded* scooper per burger.

To cook:
    Stovetop: Drop burgers from measuring cup onto a hot griddle or skillet and flatten slightly.
    Let cook 10-12 minutes per side or until nicely browned. Carefully remove burgers to a
    cooling rack and let cool.

*The burgers will be soft, but will firm up as they cool.

Oven: Follow stovetop directions, but drop the burgers onto lightly oiled baking sheets.
    Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 10-12 minutes per side, or until nicely browned.

Contact grill (such as George Foreman or GE):
    Drop burgers from measuring cup onto heated grill. Flatten slightly and close lid.
    Cook for 10 minutes. Follow stovetop directions for removing and cooling.

Description:
    "Makes about 16 burgers, each one point"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 102 Calories; 1g Fat (8.6% calories from fat);
    6g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 122mg Sodium.
    Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Adjust the seasonings to your taste preferences!!
    Last edited by Momma25; 09-22-2004 at 11:27 AM.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    http://www.realfoodliving.com
    In remission from Acute Leukemia
    Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!
    218/in-between/125

Replies

~~~~~~~BUMP~~~~~~~
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

Replies

I saw a recipe on TV the other day where you take half of a spicy black bean burger put it into a taco shell add lettuce, FF sour cream, FF cheese, and some salsa. I haven't tried it yet but I thought it sounded great.

Marilyn
    Loosing weight will help me gain a new friend. That new freind is a brand new me.
    Marilyn

I made these today, they are fantastic!!! [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]

Sonya

Replies
    Blog Entries

Yum, these sound great! I'll have to get the ingrediants on my next trip to the store.
    Things I'm Most Looking Forward To:
    No more back fat!
    More E-N-E-R-G-Y!
    Buying stylish, not oversized clothes
    Packing smaller clothes
    Living long enough to see my grandchildren grow up
    Having a stable wardrobe
    Ability to handle cravings
    The END of binging!
    A healthier me!

bump!
    Pamela

Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief she is beautiful.

Replies

Default Re: My Black Bean Burgers

Hmmmm...How to make these Core....?
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

I'm going to experiment using a mixture of cooked or raw oats or cooked grains such as quinoa or bulgur instead of the ww bread crumbs. I'll leave out some of the non-Core optional and spicy additions.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

Crumbled CORE-n bread could be a good sub for the breadcrumbs - everything else is A-OK! :bcbsalute
    Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Replies

V. L., I'm waiting for the results of your experiments!!!

As far as using BB burgers in general...or any veggie burgers...I LOVE crumbling them up in my egg/veggie frittata thingy I make now---topped with salsa!! And I thought the only way I could eat veggie burgers was on buns...pshaw!!! :bcbsalute
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Replies

Me too Katie!
    :lol:

Cordy, My family is not really crazy about corn bread and it's a little too high GI for me. What about using some of your oat bread recipe that I'm baking tomorrow? Do you think with the sweetener (I'm using stevia), it may be too sweet? If so, perhaps I'll do the garlic and herbed version tomorrow so I can make the BBB later this week. Whaddya think?
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

Ooooo, good question! I'd use a savory version of the oat bread, although the stevia sweetening would counterbalance the chilis. Maybe a shake of cumin powder and chopped red chilis or Vietnamese chili paste instead of the canned green chilis?????
    Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Default Momma25....are these core yet? :)

Did you try them with the oat bread? I LOVE BB burgers and I want to make your recipe if we can make it core....otherwise, I guess I'll keep buying the MorningStar brand since they are core.
    Penny

SW 213.8
    CW 186.0 (Total Core loss = -27.8)
    GW 150

Wife to Eugene
    Mom to Joseph and Jake

Replies

Yeah. Did'ya, Momma?!

Also, I don't know if you've tried cooking with the Toasted Buckwheat Groats yet, but they could fit in here somewhere...

They're "earthy-tasting" and have kind of a "flour-y" texture. I added them to my ground turkey breast, along with an egg, small dice onion, ketchup, worchestershire sauce, Kitchen Bouquet (for color) and seasoning and got a great turkey meatloaf. I used the kasha sparingly since DS was here, and it was my first time. Today I'm going to LOAD it into a lean ground beef meatloaf and see what happens! :bcbsalute

Replies

Carol, youare SO right about the buckwheat!! I made some kinda concoction the other day--it's a like a paste with buckwheat, red and green peppers, onions, spices, and other stuff , and I just KNOW I can use it for veggie burgers someway. I tried the other day but they don't seem to bind very well together, but I think I'm gonna use Momma's basic re-ci-pe & get that Kasha in there. (Right now, I'm adding extra veggies and a scoop of that mixture to a can of soup--talk about hearty!! )
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Replies

Hey guys! Sorry about the delay in posting, but we've been hit by both Hurricane Frances AND Hurricane Ivan! We had water and electricity knocked out for days and so cooking was impossible. We lost everything in our fridge and haven't been able to replenish it all. We are just now getting things back in gear.

OK, enough whining In answer to your questions...

I DID do some updating experiments and I am happy to report my Black Bean Burgers are definitely CORE, when using cooked bulgur or other cooked cereal. Use the original recipe and simply sub cooked bulgur, cous cous or even dry oat bran, rolled oats, steel cut oats, quinoa flakes etc., for the bread crumbs and vital gluten in the originals. I don't care for Kasha, so I've never used it. I have used all of the above with good results!

Now, today, I made a new generation of Black Bean Burgers, but it was loosely done (little measuring) so the instructions are general.

2 pounds dried black beans, sort and rinse well. Cover with cold water and soak overnight. In the morning, drain the beans and add 2 thumb-sized knobs of peeled ginger root. Cover with cold water 2 times the amount of beans. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Drain beans and set aside to cool.

VICKILYNN'S CORE BLACK BEAN BURGERS #1

In a food processor (14 cup) place:

6 cups cooled, cooked black beans
    1 large green pepper (cored and seeded)
    1 large Vidalia onion
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 -3 cups oat bran (dry)
    1 cup steel cut oats (dry) (add more if mixture is too runny)
    1 egg
    1 roasted red pepper
    2 Tablespoons tomato paste
    (optional) chili power, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, chives, cilantro to taste

Process until smooth and all ingredients are fully mixed. Let mixture sit 10 minutes while oven and pans are being prepared. Turn oven on to 400 degrees. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment. Scoop out black bean mixture (it will be very soft, like a batter) by rounded 1/3 cup onto the parchment.With a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, smooth the batter evenly to a "burger" shape about 4 inches wide and 2 inches thick. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove pans and with a spatula, gently flip burgers over. Replace pans, but alternate pan position from top to bottom. Bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove pans and gently slide burgers onto cooling racks. They will firm more as they cool. Repeat with remaining batter.

NOTE: If you don't have a 14-cup food processor, process the ingredients in small batches and place in a large mixing bowl to mix the batter.

VICKILYNN'S CORE BLACK BEAN BURGERS #2

In a food processor (14 cup) place:

5 cups cooled, cooked black beans
    1 large green pepper (cored and seeded)
    1 large Vidalia onion
    6 cloves minced garlic
    4 cups plain organic quinoa flakes bran (dry) *hot cereal only ingredient is quinoa (rolled oats would work)
    1/2 cup steel cut oats (dry) (add more if mixture is too runny)
    1 (15 ounce) can Ro*Tel, drained well
    2 heaping Tablespoons Stoneyfield organic plain fat-free yogurt
    1 egg
    (optional) chili power, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, chives, cilantro to taste

Follow directions above.

I also made 2 crusts with this mixture, one in a 9-inch pie plate and one on a 12-inch pizza stone lined with parchment. Both came out very well! I baked the one on the pizza stone 25 minutes only and the 9-inch pie plate (it was thicker) I baked for the full 45 minutes.

Burger Update:
    These freeze great!
    Also, I was thinking about the dimensions I gave for making the batter into burgers and, as I said, I didn't measure well. I believe they were around 5 inches round and 2 inches high before baking. Not sure, LOL! They do shrink some when cooked. The end result measured 4 inches round and 1 1/2 inches high.

Last edited by Momma25; 09-21-2004 at 08:37 AM.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

Replies

Update: My hubby just finished Core Black Bean Burger Pizza! He said it was awesome. I took the Black Bean Burger crust I made ( see above) and topped it with organic, non-sweetened marinara and part-skim mozzarella and baked it in the oven (don't use the micro, the crust will get soft) until cheese melted. YUMM! Add veggies and fav pizza toppings if you desire.
    (Momma25) Momma to five
    218/in-between/125

hello! does anyone know if the packaged spicy black bean burgers are core?? i love them and had ruled them out, but i thought someone had mentioned them in a different thread and said they were, in fact, core. can anyone clarify?
    thanks!
    If not now, when?
    www.ginacraig.com
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

Replies

"Meat substitutes: Vegetarian burgers, frozen" = Core!

"Morningstar: Spicy black bean burger, frozen" = Core! :bcbsalute

i'm so glad! thank you!
    If not now, when?
    www.ginacraig.com
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with saints. (Billy Joel)

you know for the life of me I couldn't make these burgers hold together so I tossed all the mix in the oven and baked and tossed for a while. Then I put the cool mix into a bag in the fridge. Then I added it equal parts with Ragu spaghetti sauce and served on rice. Fabulous! Thanks

These are awesome!
    Sincerely,
    Carla
    ~Food wasted is better than food waisted!

~Iceberg lettuce is perhaps the most aptly named plant in the world and should be avoided as though you were the Titanic with a second chance.

Tiffy_Sugar Guest

Lightbulb Re: My Black Bean Burgers

Bumping this up! Does anyone know if you can freeze the patties and then cook them later and how long they might last? I love veggie burger, but I hate spending the money on them if I know I can make them right at home. Just curious! Can't wait to try it!

Replies

Hi TS, although I am not Core, I made these about a month ago...I just baked them in the oven, flash-froze them and threw 'em in a ziploc bag, ready to pull out whenever! I took a few to a girl at work, who shared them with another lady...and they want the recipe, the only problem being they thought they were a little too spicy! But I love 'em! (and I know what you mean about *if you're able to make 'em at home*...that's me to a "T"!)
    But, now that I'm thinkin' about it, I don't know why you couldn't either a) plop 1/4 C. mixture on a cookie sheet and freeze; or
    b) just freeze 1/4 C. plops in ziploc or baggies...
    hmmm, good idea!
    Last edited by OHStar; 04-01-2006 at 11:27 AM. Reason: another thought!!
    Debbie
    HW: 200
    SW: 154 (8/20/05)
    CW: 148.2
    WWGW: 133
    PGW: 125
    5'5"

Tiffy_Sugar Guest

Thanks! I'm actually not core either. Thats a great idea with baking them first then freezing them! Unfortunately I don't have all the ingredients, so I'll probably have to tweek the recipe a little bit... I don't have bell peppers or green chilies, and I really don't care for horseradish, and I think I would rather use the rolled oats just because I like the consistancy they give to "veggie-meats". Do you think this will affect the points to much or make it taste icky?thanks!