Thread: Lasagna with Mex Appeal

Dinner was soooooooo good tonite and I wanted to share with you. There's only 3 of us that were participating in tonite's taste temptations so instead of making this in a 13 x 9 pan as it states, I made two 8 x 8 (or perhaps 9 x 9 didn't actually measure) and got 4 servings per container. I froze the second one right before it was time to bake it. Now I'm so glad I did, cause we can have this again soon - and no extra work for me!

Kim

From Looneyspoons Cookbook, Page 67
    Lasagna with Mex Appeal
    (Meatless in Seattle)

2 cups chopped onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, undrained, cut up
    1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 can (19 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can (19 oz.) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    12 six inch corn tortillas or 8 seven inch flour tortillas
    1 1/2 cups shredded RF Monterey Jack cheese (6 oz.)
    2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup chopped green onions
    LF sour cream (optional)

Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray. Add onions, garlic and green pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salsa and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in black beans and kidney beans. Remove from heat.

Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over bottom. Cover with half the tortillas (overlappng as needed), and half of the cheese. Spoon another 1/3 of bean mixture on top of cheese, followed by remaining tortillas, and last of the bean mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Cover and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with tomato slices and green onions. If desired, serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.

Makes 8 servings

Per serving: 314 calories, 5.5 g fat, 51.9 carbs, 18 g protein, 785 mg sodium, 15 mg cholesteral = 6 WW points

Kim's Notes:
    There's no fibre count but even at 1 g of fibre this comes out to 6 points per serving.
    I also added one can of chopped green chillies to this.
    I omitted the sliced tomatoes and green onions on top.
    I omitted the kidney beans, but added 1/2 a package of veggie ground round soy crumbles.
    I used a mixture of green, red and yellow pepper to make it pretty!
    I used a mixture of cheddar/mozzarella cheese instead of the Monteray Jack.

Replies

The "Loony Spoons" cookbook is really good, the next book they put out was called "Crazy Plates" is just as good - the recipes in the second book include the fibre count. I've made the lasagna recipe - it's excellent. Sheila

Thanks for posting this. It looks great. I'm going to give it a try over the weekend. [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

OOOOOOooooooo dat sounds so GOOOOOOOOD! Paired up with a nice big tossed green salad with Trader Joe's Cilantro dressing....

Thanks for posting!

Char