Thread: TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein)

Thinkin Thin Guest

My DH is an avid runner, and recently made a wonderful vegetarian chili that was featured in his Runners magazine. It called for TVP. It's high in protein, and this particular brand had no fat. I gotta admit, I was skeptical, but this soup was awesome!!!! Anybody else ever use TVP? We have a couple of other recipes, but haven't tried them yet. I'd love to hear about other recipes.

Patty

Replies

I've used Morningstar Grillers (aka Veggie Crumbles) which is a form of TVP. It can be found in the frozen foods section near Boca Burgers, etc. IT almost looks like cooked ground beef too. I love using it in chili, pasta sauce, tacos, etc. because it has the flavor and to some extent the texture of real beef but it's only 6 points for the entire bag!!!! A great substitute if you ask me.
    Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

I use TVP all the time. Love the stuff! It keeps, is handy to have around, has 0 fat, and is very versatile. I use it to make taco filling, just rehydrate it, one cup TVP to 7/8 cup boiling liquid. I use boiling water with 1 tsp. beef stock (the paste kind) and 1 tsp. Taco seasoning mix per cup. Stir well, let it sit about 5 minutes, stir again, then I microwave it on High for 2-3 minutes. I actually like it better the next day, then reheat it, but usually don't wait that long! :eek: When I want tacos I want 'em NOW!

Have also used it in chili recipes, have made dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), and our fave is Green Enchiladas, I posted that recipe under Vegetarian board. You'll have to set your dates back, I think I posted it in Oct. or so.

Also, try the Meatless Meatballs if you can find them...I love the Trader Joe's brand, but there are others out there if you don't have a TJ's near you. I make sweet 'n sour meatballs and also use them with TJ's fat free spaghetti sauce over cooked spaghetti squash. VERY low points and VERY filling!

Char

bump
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!

5. Post

I finally tried TVP. Made skinny pizza with veggies and low fat cheese. Used Boca crumbles and it was delicious. Thanks for the inspiration from all those on this site who said it tastes so great!

Bump for Denise!
    Success is a journey not a destination!

7. Default Re: TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein)

Found this on the internet. It's a little salty so you can easily omit some of the soy sauce. I use veggie bouillon or mushroom bouillon. DB loves them. I make more than 3 (usually 4 or 5 per recipe). They are 1 point each or close to it.

I also have buns on hand that are 1 point. I'll have to check on the name...

TVP Burgers yield: 3 burgers
    Ingredients:
    1 Vegex cube (or vegetable bouillon)
    1 tsp. Spike (or extra soy sauce or omit or extra soy sauce)
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. Gravy Master (or oyster sauce for non veggie veggie burgers or omit or extra soy sauce)
    3/4 cup boiling water
    1 cup dry TVP
    1 small onion, diced
    1 Tbsp. oil
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    pinch of black pepper
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1/4 cup white flour (or wheat/oat bran or a mix of all)
    Add Vegex, Spike, onion powder and Gravy Master to boiling water. Pour over TVP and let soak for 10 minutes. Saute onion in oil. Add to soaked TVP. Add chili powder, garlic, pepper, oregano and soy sauce. Add flour and stir until mixed well. Mold and flatten into three patties. (I make them a little smaller) Fry in a small amount of oil (or use cooking spray on a nonstick pan) until nicely browned on each side. Serve on whole wheat roll or pita pocket with your favorite toppings.
    (Note: These made a scant three burgers. For two or more people, you might want to make more than one batch.)
    I cook them as noted and wrap individually and freeze and then just microwave to eat!
    Last edited by flakypastry; 06-06-2005 at 05:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add points value!!
    flakypastry 5' 2"
    SW 129 :: CW 123.4:: GW 119 :: PG 109 :: lowest 113.8

Lifetime since August 2005. Currently OVER goal..but getting really close!!

Thumbs up Re: TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein)

I had some "chicken" nuggets last night made from TVP. It was my first experience with it, and it was great! If I didn't know it wasn't chicken, I never would have guessed.
    *~LINDA~*

HW 386
    SW 330
    CW 284.2
    GW 174
    PW 150's

LOST: 102.2 lbs

5'10"