When I discovered that morel mushrooms were $15 per OUNCE at my local grocery store, I opted for much cheaper versions of wild mushrooms and it was still quite tasty.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wild Rice Casserole with Asparagus and Morel Mushrooms--4 P

Recipe By : Weight Watchers Simply the Best All American Cookbook
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : 4 Points--Weight Watchers Casseroles
Vegetables Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 ounce dried morel mushrooms, about 3/4 cup
1 cup hot water
1 cup wild rice -- rinsed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons bread crumbs, plain, dried
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 pound asparagus -- trimmed and sliced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano

1. Soak the mushrooms in the hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Strain the mushrooms, reserving 3/4 the liquid. Slice the mushrooms and set aside.

2. Combine the wild rice with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the rice is just tender and the grains are beginning to split, 35-45 minutes, depending on the rice. Drain the rice and stir in the butter and cheese.

3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Coat the bottom and sides of the dish with the bread crumbs, set aside.

4. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet, then add the onions and garlic. Saute' until theonions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved mushroom liquid and bring to a boil. Add the mushrooms, asparagus, pepper, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender and liquid is almost evaporated, about 8 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat; stir in the oregano and wild rice mixture.

5. Spoon the rice mixture into the baking dish. Bake until the top is browned and the casserole is hot, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Points=4

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -