Thread: bulgar

Replies

try roasting any combination of veggies spritzed with some garlic or butter flavored Pam. Add these to bulgar and mix in some prepared Salsa. Very low point meal that sticks to your ribs.

Replies

This sounds quite tasty! I will try it.

I had the hardest time finding bulgar in the store when I needed it for a recipe. I looked in every section of the store, twice! I was getting so frustrated. No one who worked there even knew what it was, that didn't give me much confidence. So I went to check out another store, still couldn't find it! Then I called my daughter and she told me it was the same as cracked wheat. Is that true? I used it and the recipe turned out fine. I wish the recipe would state that they are the same thing, if indeed they are. Are they?

Replies

I buy bulgar in the bulk natural foods section of Fred Meyer. On the label, it says "Bulgar (cracked wheat)". I'd say they are the same thing!
    Linda<br />210/201.5/131WW/120pers

Replies

All bulgar is cracked wheat, but not all cracked wheat is bulgar! Bulgar is supposed to have gone through a *process* that involves steaming.

There is a definite price difference between cracked wheat and bulgar in my grocery stores; bulgar costs MORE!

Then, to throw something else in the mix, one of my bulgars is golden in color and very *bouncy* in texture. I love it! Then there is a cheaper brownish bulgar at another store, and the cracked wheat is brownish and the cheapest. I like the nutty-sweet flavor of the brown wheat so now I make a MIXTURE of the golden and the brown bulgars. I even throw in the cracked wheat sometimes! It's all 2 points a cup, a great *points bargain*, and delicious! Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

There is a small family run Middle Eastern Cafe in my town that sells middle eastern products. I buy my bulgar there by the pound. Perhaps you have a similar place? also, I buy a prepackaged set of spices to put on top of my home made pita bread that is yummy. No need for butter (or anything else!)

Replies

Hi Everyone,
    After reading this thread, I got some bulgur & I tried it tonight for the first time in my life! :eek: I loved it!

I sauteed some green onion and some exotic mushrooms in pam, added 1 cup of bulgur to the skillet to toast it for a few minutes, added 2 cups of chicken broth & simmered it until all the liquid was absorbed. It is very yummy (like a wheaty, slightly chewy rice).

If you haven't tried it - don't be afraid! it's good
    Sarah in Ontario<br />max 230/WW 186/now 172/goal 155 (5'10")<br />Joined WW Nov 5, 2001<br />10 lb ribbon on Nov 26 <p>"life is but a pebble sunk - deeds, the circle growing!"

Bulgur is yummy stuff! At 2 points per cup, it's also a HUGE points bargain. We eat it frequently, in fact have replaced rice entirely by using bulgur and usually don't even eat pasta any more! Friday night I made skewered scallops which had been marinated in light soy, sake, a teeny drizzle of sesame oil, and some fresh minced ginger. Broiled them and served with bulgur and edamame. The bulgur was delicious with a little light soy sauce on it! Whether it's presented as "bulgur", "bulgar", or "bulhur" it's all good stuff!

WWCarol's description is perfect...bulgur IS cracked wheat but not all cracked wheat is bulgur.

To cook bulgur easily, I measure 2 cups into an 8 cup Pyrex measuring bowl, add two 14.5 ounce cans FF chicken broth, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High - in my 700 watt oven it takes 20 minutes exactly. May take more or less in your microwave, start with 10 and see where it is...you want all the liquid absorbed. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and enjoy. Leftovers are easily reheated in the microwave, which is why I make it 2 cups bulgur at a time! You can also use beef broth or just plain water, depending on your intended usage. Just water makes it a good choice for breakfast, like oatmeal. Also, if you want "Spanish" flavor, add 1/2 to 1 cup of salsa to it either before or after cooking.

It's definitely worth locating this versatile grain, IMHO! I buy it bulk at Whole Foods stores, some of my grocery markets carry it that way as well.

Char

Replies

Okay, you guys have got me so curious about bulgur that I went and bought it last night. From what I can tell, whatever liquid you choose to cook it in, you have to use 2 parts liquid to 1 part bulgur, right? I think I'll try it in chicken broth tonight and take it from there.

I love finding new things to eat -- especially low-point things!

[img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Amy
    Lifetimer since 9/12/2001
    WW goal: 130
    Current weight: 128

Hi Amy!
    Yep, that's what I always do, double the liquid for the bulgur - 1 cup bulgur, 2 cups liquid etc. 1 can of chicken broth (14.5 ounces) is close enough to 2 cups to work just fine!

Please let us know what you think!!

Char

Charski...I just tried your ff chicken broth with bulgur cooked in the microwave and it just came out wonderful! I only needed to cook it 15 min in mine ....but the chicken broth really added to the taste of it a lot.
    Thanks for your great tips! [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    amecca<br />start date 07/22/01<br />203/180/130<p>How high I aim, how much I see, how far I reach, depends on me

Replies

Hi Charski!

I tried the bulgur last night, and it was great! I cooked it in chicken broth and it was very yummy and so filling! I can't wait to find new ways to cook it.

Thanks for the tip!
    Amy
    Lifetimer since 9/12/2001
    WW goal: 130
    Current weight: 128

Replies

I wanted to bump, and also put in my 2 cents. I just tried bulgar last night for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised.

Here's the recipe I made:

SPICY BULGAR PILAF

Makes about 3 cups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 medium onion -- chopped
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 cup bulgur -- uncooked
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/8 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 red bell pepper -- chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 3/4 cups water or veg stock

Saute onion in a skillet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, for 5
    minutes. Stir in garlic, bulgar, chili powder, cumin, and celery
    seeds.
    Continue cooking for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red bell
    pepper and
    salt, then pour in the boiling water or veg stock. Cover tightly and
    let
    stand until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.

Makes about 3 cups. (2 pts per cup)

I omitted the red pepper because I don't care for it, and I replaced the celery seed with some finely diced celery that I sauteed with the onion. This almost tasted like taco filling to me, and I'm going to try it in a soft tortilla with some refried beans, or I'm also going to add some spicy kidney beans to the leftovers and eat it as an entree with a salad.

Yum!

Stephanie

SW: 235.7 (4/30/02)
    CW: 193 (42.7 gone forever!)
    GW: 155
    UGW: 145

Replies

Answering a bulgar question~
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com