1 eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/8" thick
1 1/2 low sodium tomato sauce
1 2/3 C shredded reduced fat mozarella cheese

Preheat broiler. Place eggplant on a baking sheet and broil 5 mins on each side to remove moisture. Spoon some tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9X9" baking dish. Top with a layer of eggplant, some cheese and more sauce. Repeat until all ingredients are used, ending with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 2 hours or until eggplant is tender. Let stand 10 mins before serving.

serves 4

167 cals, 0.5 g fat, 1 g fiber

I make this and then eat it cold as a sandwich the next day--a sicilian family thing, I think. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I also make my own sauce:

1 small onion, chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T oregano
1 lg can crushed tomatoes
1 lg can tomato sauce
2 T tomato paste
2 T sugar

saute onion and garlic in large saucepan until tender. (I use olive oil spray) Add tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Simmer about 20 minutes. Stir in oregano and tomato paste. Simmer about 30 mins more and add sugar. Cook, covered about an hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook to desired thickness. (the longer it cooks, the thicker it will be)

I also made this in my crockpot the other day and it was perfect!! Of course, I use a much larger recipe than this, and freeze them in small containers. Runs about 1 pt per cup. I have also cooked chicken breasts, italian sausage, a small chuck roast, and meatballs in my sauce--browning them first of course.